chango

WFFC asking -- would you go to WFFC 2008?

They should make it a once every 4 years kind of thing. They don't do anything that most boogies do anyway so why not make it a four year thing and plan something big for when it happens.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I, personally, would not go to the WFFC if they hold it this year. Too many other plans for the summer. Would be open to going in the future though. And just because I would not go this year doesn't mean I think it shouldn't happen. But I know some people like (or need) to plan for these things in advance. I'm already planning on Skyfest and Lost Prairie if I can get the time off work. Just not enough time or $$ to do lots more boogies. [:/]

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

I loved the convention and went the last 4 years it was held (The "Bad" Years as I kept being told and still had the time of my life)

I definitely want to see it come back.. But I think it is already too late for this year. If they were to announce a return in 2009 and start NOW pushing the event, there would be even more desire for the return and people could arrange vacation time.

Issues with vendor participation could be hopefully worked out and a TRUE Family reunion could happen.

To bring it back this year and have it flop would surely put the final nail in the coffin for good. I would rather see a HUGE effort put into planning a 2009 WFFC than to have a small 2008 convention that kills it off for good.

He is correct. Two year lead time would be good. Get Perris to bring the JET.

Sadly, I have to agree here. I really, really miss working the Convention, and really, REALLY look forward to it returning, but like a few others, I think it might be too late already for an '08 event to be feasible. A better idea would be to announce that there WILL be an '09 event, and start promoting it (as well as finding more unique, new things to present at it) NOW!

Miss ya, Beth!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Hey Beth and All,
I know it's late in the game, but I can't help but feel that we could still put something together that won't be the last nail in the coffin. That kind of talk is just stupid. Who would want the end of the WFFC? Seriously! Even if it's smaller this year, and it's a rebuilding year, I'm OK w/ that. Bring it on. We need to make this happen and show all that the WFFC is not dead and is not going to die. Even if it takes on another form then so be it! Our extended family needs this and will make something happen. Beth, please get hold of me if there isn't anything from Don. I will be happy to help put together a convention for this year.
What ever it takes, I'm there!!
Lots of love,
Greg

Hey Greg! We LOVE this kind of enthusiasm, and it's just exactly what the Convention has always been about. The past conventions (in Quincy) had their first senior staff meeting about 6 to 8 weeks prior to the event every year, and the year we moved to Rantoul, well, we didn't even FIND Rantoul til February that year. So yea, we know it can be done. When you have 300 volunteers and load organizers to call on, who mostly have YOUR brand of enthusiasm the job happens. It's more a matter of do people really still want our kind of an event.
Even in the last year, our numbers were about 3X the size of the biggest event I went to last year, and I think I hit most big boogies. When we have a temporary dz, and all of the aircraft are flown in from all over, it costs a BUNDLE to put on the quality that people have come to expect from us, and I really don't want to dilute that. I will be happy with a smaller size as long as the terrific "Convention Vibe" is still present.
What was really cool about my travels last year was hearing over and over that people were still hoping for a Convention. I'm wanting to make sure that Don Kirlin sees that kind of excitement, since he didn't get to go with us last year when we traveled. His financial backing of the WFFC is what always made it happen, and I'm sure we'd all love to have him be a part of it again!
The Convention can be the coolest thing on the planet and a huge pain in the ass all at the same time, so it's really important that those of us who appreciate it let Don know that we do.
I have never worked as hard as I do at the Convention every year, made as little money, sweated as long days or made as many friends. I love every minute of it, and almost every person who works it feels the same way. I always tell Don thanks for taking me on his vacation with him.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Sure would as long as they can get vendors charge at a decent amount. Also the Skydivers registration can be adjusted to a better price as well. I've been 4 times since 2000. All I can say was its always fun, good place to buy your gear, extras etc. Good times. Always watch your back while Skydiving though. Many folks in the Air around you all trying to merge and land in the same area. Don can bring it back just work on the fees a little bit to give Skydivers more of an incentive to come. That way when you leave you still have some money for gas to get home. B|

I don't see how it would be possible to lower fees by much without running even deeper into the red. I'd bet that Don Kirlin loses money on every paid admission even at $69 a person. Most of us have no idea how much it costs to put on an event like this with site fees, paid staff, tent rentals, band fees, outhouse rentals, lodging for staff, car rentals, site cleanup, etc etc. I don't know if the beer is supplied free to WFFC, but I'd bet nearly every jumper has quaffed more beer than his admission fee would pay for in even the cheapest bar. If we can't have WFFC 2008 lets try to build broad support for 2009 and make it the biggest and best one ever, surpassing even the glory days of Quincy. I miss this event and the whole WFFC family so bad it hurts.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Finally someone is talking a little sense. I paid $69 without complaint, would I rather have jump tickets for the money...sure, but I know that is the only way it is going to happen. I love this event and would, honestly pay more if I had to. And this is coming from someone who does not have money to burn and from possibly the only skydiver on earth that doesn't drink! (That's more for the rest of you....)

Bring it back Don....it’s a public service!

The WFFC was the best event in skydiving. I know that numbers dwindled towards the end, but that was more than made up for by the increasing cameraderie each year, as I got to know more and more regular attendees.

Yes, I bitched that numbers were down, that there were no vendors any more, or auction, etc.

But now it's gone I really really miss it. Please bring it back, Don or anyone! Has anyone heard any rumors of a potential return?

The WFFC was the best event in skydiving. I know that numbers dwindled towards the end, but that was more than made up for by the increasing cameraderie each year, as I got to know more and more regular attendees.

Yes, I bitched that numbers were down, that there were no vendors any more, or auction, etc.

yes

But now it's gone I really really miss it. Please bring it back, Don or anyone! Has anyone heard any rumors of a potential return?

skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Good day all,

WFFC - Cancelled as of 2008 - Again ;-(

Announced on March 10, 2008.

More info: www.freefall.com

Alternatives...

The "Unconventional" Boogie (Perris)
Summerfest (SD Chicago)
Skyfest (SC)
And much more...

Ummm to make it in March issue of Sd Mag it had to of been announced prior to the end of Feb. guess just not to us:S:S:S Bummer. Lets just hope plans start now to make 09 or 10 a hit!! Maybe a combined event is the answer. These days its tough to just "build it and they will come". Oh what the future holds for us all>

I've gone for the whole time for 3 years. I love WFFC, if not for the jump - I love going around and meeting all the manufacturers and overall broadening my horizons as a jumper.

I want to tell Don, "Look, it doesn't have to be HUGE!!" If things are slowing down, that's okay. call it a paradigm shift and go with the flow. Instead of 4 otters, 3 Casa's, a king air, 2 skyvans, and whatnot, why not have 3 otters, a Skyvan, a King Air, and one casa.....
=========Shaun ==========

I just got a call from Beth at the Freefall Convention office. She recently spoke with convention owner Don Kirlin. Don is interested in hearing from skydivers about possibly resurrecting the Freefall Convention in Rantoul, IL this summer, tentatively from Friday, July 18 through Sunday, July 27, 2008. This is the week BEFORE both Summerfest and the Lost Prairie Boogie in Montana. Hosting the Freefall Convention is a major investment, so Don is trying to see if there continues to be a huge amount of interest. Please share your thoughts here on dropzone or (even better) on the www.freefall.com message board. Thanks.... chango rodriguez (for WFFC)

i KNOW OF 10 TO 15 PEOPLE THAT WOULD LOVE TO GO . sO BRING IT AND LETS HAVE SOME FUN :ph34r:
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

J, I LOVE your spirit :)
I was invited to work (rig) for the concession last Rantoul, but although it was tempting to take part in WFFC history, I knew I'd be working very hard all day every day, and reality was I didn't know if I'd meet my travel expenses so I decided to pass.

I'd seen lower jump #s & registrations each year and watched the Fayard planes come home early/underutilized.

Big planes do cost more $ than many realize, and there is a lot of competition. Turbine aircraft and wind tunnels are everywhere these days, and with the economy tanking and fuel costs at record highs it makes sense to keep things 'close to home.' I like the idea of smaller, more intimate boogies.

It sounds like people are choosing their 2008 events wisely.

Still, even riggers need a vacation sometime ... so I am looking forward to hanging out with you in June under sunny skies in SC B|.

All my best,
Dawn

J, I LOVE your spirit :)
I was invited to work (rig) for the concession last Rantoul, but although it was tempting to take part in WFFC history, I knew I'd be working very hard all day every day, and reality was I didn't know if I'd meet my travel expenses so I decided to pass.

I'd seen lower jump #s & registrations each year and watched the Fayard planes come home early/underutilized.

Big planes do cost more $ than many realize, and there is a lot of competition. Turbine aircraft and wind tunnels are everywhere these days, and with the economy tanking and fuel costs at record highs it makes sense to keep things 'close to home.' I like the idea of smaller, more intimate boogies.

It sounds like people are choosing their 2008 events wisely.

Still, even riggers need a vacation sometime ... so I am looking forward to hanging out with you in June under sunny skies in SC B|.

All my best,
Dawn

Dawn,
Thank you! That means a lot.
I do believe there is a way to go big again, but Im not telling how.;););) No really, there are so many factors that Don had to consider and the numbers are just not there. No one (speaking of customers)really has a right to complain that the WFFC has not happened in two years. its the customers that didnt show that assisted its closing. Im not saying its their fault at all, there are other major factors that played a role in it.

Personally I dont believe the economy is as much to blame as many say. Its a new era in events, and unless you have something like Couch Freaks,Richmond or Lost Prairie where there are fixed expenses (existing DZ or property that doesnt have to be rebuilt every year) it just isnt going to happen. Of course SkyFest and Summerfest can stand proudly next to those two in numbers. As much as I love SkyFest and what it stands for, we are only 8 years old and Summerfest I believe is only 6. The three have withstood the test of time with consistent enough numbers to sustain the event for many years. I tip my hat to those events and I hope that SF will hit 30 -40 years running, actually my real dream is for the Scholarship Program to go Nationwide! So multiple jumpers at every DZ in the country can take advantage of the continued education it offers.

Ok back to the WFFC. Not trying to sound egoistical but I approached WFFC with an idea this year and last. For whatever reasons it never really made it to the table. Yet in 2006 I was one of the persons on the committee to revamp the event, but before we had a chance to get going it was canceled.

If i dont get to try my idea with the WFFC, I promise I will try it on my own.

I hope that it can continue and and be reborn. Especially since I am no longer a MFR rep, maybe I can go and not have to work the darn thing straight from SF anymore.
:)
Don I wish you the best and all of the hard working, dedicated crew over the years. I for one know you cannot hear it enough, THANK YOU! May we meet again soon.

And Dawn I expect many hugs when I see you. And feel free to hang out in the SF booth. Oh wait that may mean work. LOL Cant wait to see you!

Why cant WFFC be held at a different DZ every year? Wouldn't that help with the expense and then people could see different DZ's at the same time. A traveling WFFC. Just keep it in the US :ph34r:

Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!