chango

WFFC asking -- would you go to WFFC 2008?

This is when I planned my vacation for anyway. I'm not likely to bother with summerfest again unless there are no other options. I'll probably try couch freaks, or lost prarie instead, but I'd MUCH rather have the convention back. Even with a smallish turnout, it's still such a good atmosphere. And I want more staff hats :-p my medical hat is FILTHY at this point.

The week before summerfest? Seems a bit silly don't ya think? Especially when I think of what people have requested and want in the WFFC that Summerfest all ready provides:

Cheap registration- Check
DC9 (last year atleast) - Check
Helicopter - check - what fun that was last year!!!
casa - check
2 otters and a kingair - check...well ok sorta check b/c its not Mullins
Good nightlife - check
Fair ticket prices - check

All this plus the fireworks, the good food, good organizing, and welcoming facilities. I would wonder what the WFFC would offer me that Summerfest does not all ready do??? Personally...I would save my money for Summerfest.

This does not mean that I wouldn't love to see the WFFC come back, just do it at another time. Don't make me decide on one or the other.

The only thing I see missing from both events are: 15+ manufacturers
large gear auction
oh and
FREE SKYDIVES ;)

Summerfest has been piggybacking the WFFC since Sf began. Smart move on their behalf, would I have done that? No.

I see no reason to throw two large events in the same area in the same month, it only takes from both events. Ask SDD and their 4th of July event..:S
But if you are going to piggy back an event, the WFFC would be the one to do it to.

Summerfest has been piggybacking the WFFC since Sf began. Smart move on their behalf, would I have done that? No.

Umm.. educate me here since you have been around in this sport longer - didnt WFFC actually fill the void that SDC started with Freak Brother convention when Roger had to leave inbetween??? SummerFest is only FB convention reborn - no?

If you research my posts about this topic you will find that my point is there is room for all but all may not survive.To me another boogie is about choice and I don't believe there is a point to the 5000 person boogie of yesterday.

A boogie will either survive or it won't. It is much easier to hold a boogie where there is an existing DZ and have cheap registration.There are few DZOs that want to fuck with all that is involved with throwing a boogie that compares to The Convention,Skyfest,Dublin, Summerfest and the likes.

Most of the ones that still exist are jumper driven because the DZOs want to collect the registration fee but they don't want to spend that money for the entertainment of the jumpers.

When you spend $25 or $30 on registration. Ask yourself where that money is going.

When you spend $25 or $30 on registration. Ask yourself where that money is going.

Sure Spence - I can see your point and you've been around longer than I so I respect your opinion. However I could guess an answer to your question above but I'll reserve that for another thread so that we dont hijack this one.

Either way, don't you think that both have their place? Regardless of preference, each has it's own draw, and I'm of the opinion that people will find their own way to what suits them best. Each event has it's own vibe. Even if one or both are reinventing themselves don't you think each one deserves a chance to make it's own way. There are those that are loyal to each individual event and to both, for various reasons. There has always been rivalry but both have always survived for many reasons. It's not about one or the other, we need both events and many more. New events will come and go, but these are some mainstays in our community. Both should coexist and feed off each other to draw jumpers from all walks of life and around the world to further the sport. Newer events such as Skyfest are showing us that and promoting what we should all be looking at. That is the perpetuation of the sport and furthering skydiving. I for one am for WffC, but I think Summerfest has it's place. Yes both offer similar things, but each has it's own vibe and take from that what you will. It doesn't mean either is better or worse. They are 2 different events that will make their mark on each individual differently. With all the turbines popping up it's tough to have a reunion of the magnitude that both events provide. Why would we be looking to lose one when our sport needs more of what both have to offer?
In the long run, registration is minor compared to the amount of jumps one would make at either event, and the experiences one can have that only come from such events. I think both need to look at how that money is spent to benefit their jumpers. Regardless, each event can occur and survive just as they have for many years. Besides, what is $20 or $40 in the grand scheme of things. I have no problem paying for what either has to offer. What is that? Well, Skydivers paradise. Jumpships a plenty and many friends to jump with. That is what both events are about.
I for one want the WFFC back and will do my best to make that occur. I have many friends that I would like to see and jump with and I'm sure that Summerfest has the same. Just because I prefer one over the other doesn't mean that both can't bring the same feeling for different people. We need to further our sport and more big events like these only help that happen.
I know I'm on a diatribe, but I think my point is valid. Maybe I'm crazy?! Besides, why wouldn't you want many opportunities to jump with friends from both far and wide?

in 2006 I walked into the convention with 59 jumps, the whole week was the best time I'd had in 20 years.
The excitement lasted all year until I heard 07 was cancelled.
For the next year I await the 2008 convention.
Please tell me to pack my sh**!!

I'm All In

If you research my posts about this topic you will find that my point is there is room for all but all may not survive.To me another boogie is about choice and I don't believe there is a point to the 5000 person boogie of yesterday.

A boogie will either survive or it won't. It is much easier to hold a boogie where there is an existing DZ and have cheap registration.There are few DZOs that want to fuck with all that is involved with throwing a boogie that compares to The Convention,Skyfest,Dublin, Summerfest and the likes.

Most of the ones that still exist are jumper driven because the DZOs want to collect the registration fee but they don't want to spend that money for the entertainment of the jumpers.

Probably to increased water usage and increased natural gas usage (for showers - which we all love!), port-o-potties, garbage removal, etc. etc.

I don't have a problem paying a registration fee. Especially when you factor in that $20 to $25 over a 5 to 10 day period. Cheaper than camping. AND you're camping with friends!

And don't we provide our own entertainment???

I think the jumpers will "go" where it's convenient for them (for the most part) and IF they have the vacation time to do so.

For me, living in Western Canada and driving to the Eastern US is not an option during July and August. I have LP to go to AND I have limited vacation time in the summer.
'Shell

I don't have a problem paying a registration fee. Especially when you factor in that $20 to $25 over a 5 to 10 day period. Cheaper than camping. AND you're camping with friends! ***

Where are you guys talking about for only $20 to $25 for a five to ten day event?
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I don't have a problem paying a registration fee. Especially when you factor in that $20 to $25 over a 5 to 10 day period. Cheaper than camping. AND you're camping with friends! ***

Where are you guys talking about for only $20 to $25 for a five to ten day event?

LP's reg fee is $20 for the boogie. July 26 to August 4.
'Shell

I started skydiving in Fall of '06, so I have never had the opportunity to attend a convention. I will definately be there if it is happening.

If you build it, they will come.
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

Looks like medical has two staff members now!!!
Karen, Missy, are you coming??? Paging Dr Chris, Dr Will?? Will you be coming??
I cannot wait to see you all!

You know Missy will be there. And so will the Team.

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

I'd be there. Instead of WFFC 07, I went to Summerfest. IMHO, not even a comparison; WFFC ROCKS

I haven't missed one in 10 years, so Don, build it and I will BE THERE.

Lemonhead, you better get your sorry ass there too!
Keith Abner
D-17590

"Those who do, can't explain; those who don't, can't understand"

Now that makes my day!! You guys take care in Cancun. God, I wonder if Mexico is ready for you guys! If you need another voice of reason, let me know. ;) I am ready for a vacation.

Cannot wait to see you all!

Sometimes Femur is a Verb
Sarah...Desea Rodriguez