NWFlyer

USPA General Membership Meeting and Board Meeting, Orlando, FL February 8-10, 2008

Sounds like a good Road trip to me. I'm going to try and get as much info from people at my DZ who have been Cheated or negatively affected by Skyride and thrill planet.. Is there going to be any kind of open forum where members can address the BOD directly???

I don't know exactly how they work - maybe someone who has been to a meeting can give more detail. According to the site there's a general membership meeting on Friday night, and the board meets over the rest of the weekend. I would assume that the general membership portion would be the opportunity for members who are not also on the board to be heard, but I don't really know.

here is the minutes for 2007. all the other years look about the same...tony

https://www.uspa.org/contact/BODminutes/GMM_2007_Minutes.pdf

usually lasts 1 minute then an informal discussion...

10% to conduct business! Wow, I wonder if they've *ever* gotten that? Now I'm curious to read what the definition of "doing business" is ...

The governance manual is pretty vague - these two references to General Membership meetings are made, but nowhere can I find that it says a quorum is required to hold a meeting, though that seems to be the interpretation made.

Ah, well, it sounds like most of the board sessions are open sessions, so there should be plenty to experience over the weekend.

SECTION 1: GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS
General Membership Meetings (GMM) may be called by
the BOD, the USPA Executive Committee, or the USPA
President. A minimum of one such meeting shall be held
each calendar year. A quorum of the general membership
shall be 10% of the total membership. Regular members
are entitled to vote either in person or by proxy at the
meeting.

1-2.2 GENERAL MEMBERSHIP
A. Procedures: Once per calendar year, USPA conducts a
general membership meeting to which all of its
members are invited. Open discussion on general
association matters between the board and the
members will be placed on the agenda of this meeting,
unless otherwise directed by the USPA president. All
USPA members in good standing who are present at a
general membership meeting have an equal vote and
an equal right to voice their opinions on all the agenda
items for that meeting.
B. Minutes: The minutes may be corrected following the
meeting, and must be approved by the general
membership at the next general membership meeting
before they become official.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'll be there - One thing that is of interest to me is an open candid discussion with the directors with regards to who and how the USPA represents. I have heard enough of the "Well, we can't do anything about that" bull shit. If they really can't do anything about DZOs and other stuff then perhaps we should alternatively join AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association) as under FAA regulation we are airship pilots. AOPA is much larger, much more powerful and due to the general afluence of it's members it takes it's members seriously
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Why don't you e-mail the USPA and try to get that topic put on the agenda to discuss at one of the committee meetings or the general meeting? It doesn't sound like much "business" gets done at the General Membership Meeting, since I seriously doubt we could ever get 3000 people to attend and form that 10% quorum that is necessary to conduct business. I wonder if we could get that many members to participate by proxy. Regardless, sounds like there should be informal discussion after that meeting is adjourned. Sounds like we can sit in on other meetings too, unless they go into closed sessions.

Anyway, glad you are coming Vic! Know of any good sushi restaraunts in the area?? ;):)

Updated list...

Airwhore
Chaoskitty
CSpenceFLY
Carbonezone (Tami)
flyhi
johndh1
jraf
lauraliscious
NeedToJump
Normiss
NWFlyer
Rick
Skymama ?
stl135
Thanatos340
Up N Down Shop

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Well, they can dismiss the meeting if there isn't a quorum (expect that).

On the other hand, they can listen to what the people they are supposed to be working for have to say (quorum or no), or perhaps some publication with less institutional constraints will be present and more inclined to allow the unrestricted airing of grievances.:ph34r:

Roll Tide Roll

I need some 'volunteers' to help evaluate an online voting system that may be used by USPA.
(Probably NOT in this year's election, but the election after that or at the GMM in Reno 2009)

Volunteers must:
- be USPA members
- have internet access
- have an email addy

Your 'job' is to:
- keep a detailed journal of your experience in this process
- participate in a dummy online election with in the next few days
- answer questions about 'your experience'
- participate in a second dummy election - while delibrately making mistakes
- not to discuss your experience until the test voting has been completed
(We do not want to bias anyone that may participate after you.)

To apply:
Send your real name, USPA # and email addy to me at
Aerosoftware_AT_MakeItHappen.com replace _AT_ with @
Also specify what type of computer/internet user you are:
expert user (know how to write web applications, set up servers, etc)
general/consumer user (buy from ebay and online stores, have nerdy neighbor install progams for me)
novice user (can turn on computer, click bookmark for DZ.com, visit online stores and call their toll free number to order)

There is a limit on the number of test voters, so apply soon.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I'm not convinced of that, I'll let you know after this trip. Hartsfield is usually pretty quick and painless for me, I think it's much more painful for people making connections. But you also forget, I'm special. I get to go through a special security line for people who ride the short bus work at the airport. :P:)

John, you still coming to the meetings, BTW???

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

I'll be there - One thing that is of interest to me is an open candid discussion with the directors with regards to who and how the USPA represents. I have heard enough of the "Well, we can't do anything about that" bull shit. If they really can't do anything about DZOs and other stuff then perhaps we should alternatively join AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association) as under FAA regulation we are airship pilots. AOPA is much larger, much more powerful and due to the general afluence of it's members it takes it's members seriously

Skydivers are considered "airship pilots" by the FAA???? Because we fly canopies? Woa.

The AOPA has sent me a ton of mail to join just because I voted online somewhere.

It has been a while soooo so maybe we should get the list going again:

Airwhore
Chaoskitty
CSpenceFLY
Carbonezone (Tami)
flyhi
johndh1
jraf
lauraliscious
NeedToJump
Normiss
NWFlyer
Rick
Skymama ?
stl135
Thanatos340
Up N Down Shop
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I am still planning on going.

Even more now that I see the USPA is going to try to impeach Jan Meyer during BOD meeting.

If you have an opinion on that matter, You might want to find a way to get it heard before the meeting.

anybody have any idea why???

Even more now that I see the USPA is going to try to impeach Jan Meyer during BOD meeting

Yeah, I saw that too. [:/] I'd like to learn more about that before the acutual meeting...anyone have any info they are willing to share with the rest of us??

anybody have any idea why???

There is a thread in General about it. I would post a link but then I might get in trouble for cross posting.

Your WAG is as good as my WAG.

Is the BOD meeting open to members?

I've been told that ALL the meetings are open to members, unless they decide to go into a "closed session" at some point during the meeting. But the majority of the meetings should be open for members to attend.

I've been told that ALL the meetings are open to members, unless they decide to go into a "closed session" at some point during the meeting. But the majority of the meetings should be open for members to attend.