excel485

Eloy and lodging

I am headed out to Eloy for a week of jumps(in Nov) and coaching and am trying to get the lowdown on the bunkhouse. Pro's and con's. Am i better off getting a room somewhere and spending the ca$h?? Any input would be appreciated. Also debating on a rental car. Dont want to go stir crazy being "stuck" on the dz. This will be my first time out there.

Thanks

A bunkhouse is a bunkhouse is a bunkhouse. Its cheap, and OK. Your other options are team room (if you are there with a few others) for a little more ,oney, or the Skyrider Inn just at the entry of the DZ, for a LOT more money. Anything else, and you will need a car.

Rental car: up to you. you'll probably find people who go for dinner here and there, but there isnt really anything within short walking distance beyound the Bent Prop and the cafe.
Remster

Well, this is my FIRST(beer?) bunkhouse experience so I am trying to gauge it. Sounds like a car will be a must. As for the trip...I am solo on it. The next trip in Jan will be with 3 buddies, so a team room might work then.

Just dont want to get there and go...holy shit this blows....ya know?!!?

I stayed at the bunkhouse for 4 days. It was May, so not too crowded. The money I saved on lodging I spent on a car. And booze.

Bring earplugs in case someone snores.

Listen to the "Boogie Whore" ;)

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I've stayed at the bunkhouse a few times and the experience vary depending on the number of people and how they acted. Over all I'd suggest bringing some ear plugs. Each bunk has a privacy curtain that shuts out the light. There are space heater in there as well if the temp drops. Pillows, and blankets are provided if need be. For the price, it is a decent place to stay if you don't need a lot of personal space.

Hey piece of advice, it was 94 degrees here today. We are having a weird heat wave and hitting records even for AZ. It's dry heat and doesn't feel bad but it's still toasty for this late in the year.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all who wander are lost.

I decided to get a room and do that for this trip. When I go back in jan for a 5day trip, we are going to use the bunkouse. Being solo this trip, I just opted to spend the cash and do some recon for the next trip.

Thanks for all the input so far. I am excited to come out there and do a bunch of jumps and coach jumps.

Andrew

We stayed at the Super 8 in Eloy and rented a car. It's about 8-10 miles out to the dz but it was quiet and the room temp was always where we wanted it. There was only one place near by to eat anything decent so we often had to drive to Casa Grande. Being there for a week I think I'd have gone crazy if I'd had to stay at the dz the whole time. We have talked about getting one of the little trailer rooms next time though. They are cheaper than a motel and car which always means more jumps.
Just my random thoughs.:)

It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.

There was only one place near by to eat anything decent so we often had to drive to Casa Grande

There are a couple actually:
- Eva's in Toltec
- A&M Pizza in downtown Eloy (dont laugh! :ph34r:)
- Another Mexican place I cant remember the name off Sunshine I think
Remster

That *is* remarkably good pizza. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

There was only one place near by to eat anything decent so we often had to drive to Casa Grande

There are a couple actually:
- Eva's in Toltec
- Another Mexican place I cant remember the name off Sunshine I think

The Bent prop, right on the DZ also has some good meals. The Sirloin is top notch if you're a meat eater and the criss cross fries are most excellent.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Just finished day 2 at ELOY! The dropzone is great and everyone is super friendly:)
Motel6 isnt to bad...about 10min from the dz. Wasnt a bad drive from the airport to here...about 45min. Will let you know more in a few days, but this is definitely a top notch operation and well worth the trip.