BLussier

NEED EXPERIENCED SKYDIVERS OPINIONS - EXPERT ELICITATION

This should only take you 5 minutes. It would be greatly appreciated if you participate! I am in a risk analysis graduate course working on a qualitative risk assessment about skydiving. Part of the objective is to do an expert elicitation. I could read through all the safety forums to get these answers but it is not allowed. Any skydiving experience is acceptable, whether you have 1 jump or 10k. If you would like to participate please PM me the answers to the following questions:

How many jumps do you have?

Have you had any injuries from skydiving? If so, what injury? What cause? What jump number?

What do you think are the top 10 reasons for skydiving related injuries or deaths?

Once I have a number of responses, I will probably organize the data then PM you back with the most common answers and have you either stick with your original answers or revise them based off others answers. Thanks for you help!
It's always sunny above the clouds.

BLussier

This should only take you 5 minutes. It would be greatly appreciated if you participate! I am in a risk analysis graduate course working on a qualitative risk assessment about skydiving. Part of the objective is to do an expert elicitation. I could read through all the safety forums to get these answers but it is not allowed. Any skydiving experience is acceptable, whether you have 1 jump or 10k. If you would like to participate please PM me the answers to the following questions:

Have you had any injuries from skydiving? If so, what injury? What cause? What jump number?

What do you think are the top 10 reasons for skydiving related injuries or deaths?

Once I have a number of responses, I will probably organize the data then PM you back with the most common answers and have you either stick with your original answers or revise them based off others answers. Thanks for you help!

Jumps - 6,000+

Yes - broken tail bone from turbulence at flare point with no chance to PLF, and ripped-off bicep from a funneled exit

1-8 skydiver error
9 - environmental conditions
10 - equipment failure
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Are you the same guy hanging out on the observer deck at Deland asking the same questions with the clipboard? Where are you from? What grad school are you attending? It seems when I started asking questions it was frustrating for that person and he didn't want to participate.

Question 1. Not nearly as much as I'd like.

Question 2. Yes, mostly to my pride. I did get hit in the face once by a spring loaded pilot chute, and I cut my finger on a jagged edge while leaving a cessna.

Question 3. In my humble opinion, 9 of 10 times is when somone is moving really fast and makes contact with something thats not. The 10th would be an act of god or whatever higher being one chooses to worship.

Iago

***This should only take you 5 minutes. It would be greatly appreciated if you participate! I am in a risk analysis graduate course working on a qualitative risk assessment about skydiving. Part of the objective is to do an expert elicitation. I could read through all the safety forums to get these answers but it is not allowed. Any skydiving experience is acceptable, whether you have 1 jump or 10k. If you would like to participate please PM me the answers to the following questions:

Well, the third question is easy.

1- stupidity Boobies
2- stupidity
3- stupidity
4- stupidity
5- stupidity
6- stupidity
7- stupidity
8- stupidity
9- stupidity
10- stupidity

There fixed it for you.:ph34r::ph34r:

I see you have filled in some info on your profile and provided a name. That's a good start. If you want co-operation from this group you will need to gain our trust first.

Providing more detail about why you need this info, and what institution you are studying at, along with the name of the professor and contact information for both yourself and your school would help.

Even then you will find skydivers to be a tight knit group who are very careful about giving up injury information to outsiders.

In other words you will need to convince us that you are not doing research for a lawyer.

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Once I have a number of responses, I will probably organize the data then PM you back with the most common answers and have you either stick with your original answers or revise them based off others answers.

What kind of research method is this? "Here's what everyone else said, do you want to let that influence your response?" Sounds badly designed at best

Iago

*********This should only take you 5 minutes. It would be greatly appreciated if you participate! I am in a risk analysis graduate course working on a qualitative risk assessment about skydiving. Part of the objective is to do an expert elicitation. I could read through all the safety forums to get these answers but it is not allowed. Any skydiving experience is acceptable, whether you have 1 jump or 10k. If you would like to participate please PM me the answers to the following questions:

1- stupidity Boobies
2- stupidity Screwing around on a weather hold
3- stupidity Trying to impress a chick
4- stupidity
5- stupidity
6- stupidity
7- stupidity
8- stupidity
9- stupidity
10- stupidity

You're right. I forgot another top reason.

Another.
Jump more, post less!

Iago

***************This should only take you 5 minutes. It would be greatly appreciated if you participate! I am in a risk analysis graduate course working on a qualitative risk assessment about skydiving. Part of the objective is to do an expert elicitation. I could read through all the safety forums to get these answers but it is not allowed. Any skydiving experience is acceptable, whether you have 1 jump or 10k. If you would like to participate please PM me the answers to the following questions:

1- stupidity Trying to impress a chick
2- stupidity Boobies
3- stupidity Screwing around on a weather hold
4- stupidity
5- stupidity
6- stupidity
7- stupidity
8- stupidity
9- stupidity
10- stupidity

You're right. I forgot another top reason.

Another.

Actually, yours should probably be number one.

That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me here! Thanks!

Jump more, post less!

2- stupidity Boobies
4- stupidity Showing someone you're not chicken, or that you can go as big as they can
5- stupidity
6- stupidity
7- stupidity
8- stupidity
9- stupidity
10- stupidity

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

2- stupidity Boobies
4- stupidity Showing someone you're not chicken, or that you can go as big as they can
5- stupidity your ego writing checks that your skills can't cover
6- stupidity
7- stupidity
8- stupidity
9- stupidity
10- stupidity

Wendy P.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

2- stupidity Boobies
5- stupidity your ego writing checks that your skills can't cover
6- stupidity Trying to convince people you are a cool cat by posting stupid shit showing that you are really not cool...just stupid.
7- stupidity
8- stupidity
9- stupidity
10- stupidity
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

tristansdad

It does tend to get a bit carried away but do you have to be so blunt? :)

I thought I was giving him the benefit of doubt.
:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

None of this would be admissible in a court of law....

I am very new to the sport (only half way through getting my A license, 11 jumps to be exact). I chose this topic for my class project because I'm obviously thinking about it a lot and interested in the sport. I procrastinated and didn't start this project early enough (it's due tuesday) which is my fault. So it's fine, no need to answer the questions.

the project is more about going through the process of "expert elicitation" and the delphi method than the topic itself. I would obviously be careful to write the paper in good light of the sport. The paper won't ever be published and it is for a small school in springfield, MA called Western New England University. By the time you had a chance to contact anyone, my project would be due haha

I will fill out my profile the best that I can.
It's always sunny above the clouds.

Jalien

Once I have a number of responses, I will probably organize the data then PM you back with the most common answers and have you either stick with your original answers or revise them based off others answers.

What kind of research method is this? "Here's what everyone else said, do you want to let that influence your response?" Sounds badly designed at best

This kind of "Research" is called Survey research, it's when the fuckin media gets on the phone and calls certian people and then they publish the "facts."

It is the lowest form of research and tecnically is not research, despite what this fuckin idiot is trying to do!

Stereotypes have more validity than this crap!

Total bullshit.
C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

LOL, Chris we really need to do something about your tension factor. I think the OP is being forthright, and has answered some of the questions.

Though I do see your angst and validate it. ;)

OP,

I'd also suggest one other thing? I've seen so many times, requests for info from "Experienced Skydivers" then saying "It doesn't matter how many jumps you have".

One cancels the other out. For instance, I've got 124 as of an hour ago. While it may look cool to my whuffo friends it doesn't count for much.

Aka, my "advice/knowledge" is based on a few minutes of actual skydiving.

If you really want good solid advice, at the least make a cutoff, aka, there are people out there, here, with thousands. I'd say make a baseline like people with a thousand or more skydives. It's a reasonable number and typically at that point they've gathered a whole shitload of experience.

I've had a few mal's, zero cutaways and scared the shit out of myself a couple times. Not a lot of experience there.

Lastly I'd say if you really want good info for your homework. Do it at the dz, and buy the person a beer/softdrink. You'll get there attention and they'll be more willing to answer when you are face to face and you are the one doing the writing.

It is a tight knit group of people, protective of the sport and one another. We'd be friendlier to media if they'd just get it right sometimes.

Jack

P.S. Chris, deep cleansing breaths, you are starting to worry me B|

BLussier

I could read through all the safety forums to get these answers but it is not allowed.

Why is that not allowed? You have a profile, you should be able to read through anything on here.
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

"Delphi method" - well I learned something from this thread, so thank you for that :)
However I think that you'd need to be a bit stricter in your design of the expert group (e.g. a baseline number of jumps like the poster above suggested) for the method to produce any meaningful conclusions

Good luck anyway, and let this be a lesson in leaving research to the last minute! Asking on an internet forum is never going to get you high quality data