Ruffles

Reserve Use Poll

I've had 3 rides... my total ratio is ~ 1:565... That may be a little misleading though... the first two rides were under 25 jumps, the third was around 1200 jumps later.

#1 - Jump 15 - Student Gear - Pilot Chute Hes. - Round reserve

#2 - Jump 24 - Second Jump on my own gear - Pilot Chute in Tow - resulted in a two out that I landed

#3 - ~Jump 1250 - Premature Break release on x-braced canopy loaded at 2.1:1 resulting in line twists/spinning - Uneventful reserve landing.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

You should add tension knots - I've had three (all tandems.) Maybe PC bowtie as well.

Yeah, I also had a canopy entanglement with another jumper on opening, which made me wonder if all CRW (intentional or not) reserve rides would be under "other."

DJan

The tension knot thing would have been a good idea, you're right. Unfortunately, the thing won't let me do an "Edit Post" to add that category. I've heard a lot of people talk about tension knots, dunno why I forgot. Incidentally, what does a tension knot usually become (i.e. spinner, malformed canopy, etc.)?
Regarding canopy wraps, I didn't want to include them as this is generally not a component of an abnormally functioning piece of equipment (like when you do Crew, you get wraps generally, but it is not a malfunction per se, its because there was collision).

I've had 6 reserve rides in 1175 jumps, all of them in the aftermath of CRW entanglements/wraps:

o One of four cutaways after a 25-diamond funnel.
o Pilot chute entanglement with canopy above me
o Plane dock on 8-plane formation
o Plane dock on 8-kite formation
o Stack dock on 4-stack formation
o Wing/lockup entaglement/wrap on a 29-way

Although I've come quite close on some other CRW jumps, I've had no problems worse than a couple line twists on non-CRW jumps (looking for some wood to knock).

Bob

I just had my pre-second cutaway this weekend. I had a hard pull which made me go head down during deployment. My main opened with severe line twists and immediately went into a spiral. I chopped without fighting with it too much. My ratio is now 1:76.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

jump #100 YAHOO! closing loop not tight enough, premature deployment coming out of a sit....got a horseshoe that cleared itself and the pc wrapped the canopy as it came out of the dbag

result = high speed streamer

have amazing video of the entire thing, it is pretty cool to watch after the fact!

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

1st--Toggle out Locked above and below the slider.. Very strange. Couldn't fly it straight.

2nd-- 1 1/2 line twist... Go figure
3rd-- borrowed rig.. toggle out.. flung me into line twists... (just happened to be 2 years and 2 months out of date) Another story
4th-- borrowed rig. Hard pull on a pull out. lost the handle, Gave up at 2 grand. (another good story)
5th--1 1/2 line twists
6th-- 2 line twists
------

All packed by other people... go figure. I have about 150 to 200 packed by someome else during training and while doing some AFF dives. Ive had up to 7 or 8 line twists and the parachute flew fine... give me 1 1/2 and I'm done.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

1st - couldn't find a handle; 26' LoPo.
2nd - tension knot; Bogy200 => Swift Plus 175
3rd - broken lines (Kevlar); BT50 => Swift Plus 175
4th - spinning mal (probably lost a toggle); BT50 => Swift 177
5th - lineover; BT50 => Swift 177
6th - lineover; BT50 => Swift 177

(I have a lot of jumps on Blue Tracks, and own three of them)