idj

Visiting San Jose - recommendations for DZs nearby?

Hi all :-)

I'm visiting San Jose (I'm from the UK) for a wedding during the first week of November, and was wondering which nearby DZs people would recommend?

The dropzone locator on here came up with the following (in order of increasing distance)...
-Adventure Center Skydiving (Hollister)
-Bay Area Skydiving (Byron)
-Skydive Monterey Bay (Marina)
-Parachute Center (Acampo)
-SkyDance SkyDiving (Davis)

However, I don't know which each of them are like and also how easy they are to get to by public transport.

Things I need to consider...
1) I don't drive (yet!) and so will have to catch trains/buses from San Jose to wherever I jump at.
2) I am looking for somewhere that will still be open/active midweek at the start of November.
3) I would like to do either FS load organised jumps, FF coaching (still haven't turned to the dark side hehe) or even wingsuit/CRW. So basically somewhere with lots of experienced jumpers/fun stuff and not just a tandem factory!
4) Bunkhouse would help otherwise I'll end up wasting good beer/jumping money on expensive accommodation nearby.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Ed

Catch a ride with a friend or a local jumper if you can. Good luck on the train/bus idea. I live in San Jose and use a plane or a car to get to the DZ.

Each DZ is different, but all are worth jumping at. I mainly jump in Davis and we have a good time. All should be active on the weekends if the weather allows it. Acampo/Lodi is open every day, Byron/Davis are usually closed Monday and Tuesday. It's usually best to call ahead.

None are easy to get to without a car.

The more I started looking at Google maps the more I've begun to realise that!

Unfortunately I don't really know anyone who jumps around there, so the buses/trains are really my only option.

I know I'll have to catch several connections by train - was just wondering which DZ would be marginally easier to get to...?

Thanks!

There is public transportation from San Jose to Monterey (2-3 hrs by Greyhound bus or train). You'd probably taxi or Uber to the DZ.

FYI, Monterey does not do gear rentals (AFF students only).

The reviews on this site are not a place to start:
http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/North_America/United_States/California/index.html

Cheers!

I'm in San Jose and Jump at Skydive California (near-ish Byron). Skydive San Jose is nearby but still only car-accessible. Your best option is to carpool with someone nearby. I can make introductions at Skydive Cal for whatever discipline you'd like to do. There are people at Skydive Cal that do just about everything. I'd be happy to take you out and introduce you, but be aware that I tend to stay all day. If you're closer to San Francisco, I know people who would be willing to carpool with you from there.
I'm not a lady, I'm a skydiver.