TaeKwonDoDo

Help! Old tickets not honored at Montery?

While cleaning out my truck, I ran across an envelope FULL of Skydive Monterey Bay tickets (around 20 of the pink ones). They are a couple of years old (a misplaced xmas present from the spouse).

I went to SMB a couple of weeks ago to see if they would honor them and I was informed by manifest that SMB was sold to a new owner (which I knew) and the old tickets are no longer honored (which was a surprise).

Normally, when a business is bought - all of its assets AND liabilities (e.g., leases, bills, and specifically in this case, jump tickets) are assumed by the new owner. Also, when we buy tickets we're all told they are non-refundable - but there is nothing anywhere about an expiration date written (or said) anywhere...

Manifest told me to call Jess, the old owner to see if he would give me my money back (ha, ha).

So, instead of starting a thread on bashing SMB for not honoring these tickets, I would be grateful if someone could PM me a contact "who matters" for the new SMB so I can talk to them.

Thanks,

- Jeff

"That's not flying, it's falling with style."

Ive got some jump tickets from Cal Citys Grand Opening boogie back in 81 or 82 ...cant remember. It got rained out.
I wonder if they will honor them ?;)

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

This was covered a long time ago in the forums and the owner/manager?? had stated that they would honor the tickets for a given time peroid only.

Good luck getting money back on them. I've still got a few $ sitting on account at Dallas and Perris. I'll use it at some point if I'm there again.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I read the thread and it was pretty vague - and some guy posting his thoughts on a bulletin board on what the DZO may or may not have verbally said to him (which is how it was written), doesn't dismiss a business obligation the owner has regarding the liabilities he purchased when he bought the company (Unless there is another thread, specifically by the owner that I didn't find - which, legally, still shouldn't matter).

I am just asking if someone can PM me any information on how I can contact the new owner to discuss and get his position directly from "the man".

If someone can help me with that, I would be grateful.

Thanks,

- Jeff

Good luck. That is why alot of DZs sell tickets,in hopes that they will never see them again. Z-hills is about the only DZ I can remember that will replace tickets if lost and I have never heard od ticket not being honored there. The new business should honor the tickets if it was part of the sale agreement. Either way I wish you luck. There are less and less standup people in skydiving everyday.Bottom line if there is no expiration date on them you should be about to use them or be paid for them.

Bottom line if there is no expiration date on them you should be about to use them or be paid for them.

So if you buy a gift certificate from Macy's and 2 years later go to use it but find the Macy's has moved out and a Sears has opened in the same building, should they honor the certificate?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Bottom line if there is no expiration date on them you should be about to use them or be paid for them.

So if you buy a gift certificate from Macy's and 2 years later go to use it but find the Macy's has moved out and a Sears has opened in the same building, should they honor the certificate?

Hmmm I was understanding when you buy a business you also buy ALL of it's liabilities as well as assets.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

That's a nice thought, but I don't know of any law that makes it so.

And who's to say they bought the business? Maybe they just bought the assets. They sure don't have the airplane, they brought their own.

In the end it's what the business owner wants to do. If they want to keep the loyalty of their fun jumpers they may honor the tickets. If they don't care.....well.....

Of course they did honor a grace period, and that has since expired. Too bad for the OP.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

While cleaning out my truck, I ran across an envelope FULL of Skydive Monterey Bay tickets (around 20 of the pink ones). They are a couple of years old (a misplaced xmas present from the spouse).

You left $400 worth of jump tickets lying around in your car and you just forgot about them? Seems a bit silly that you are getting angry so long after the fact. You snooze, you loose.

It sounds like you should have been more diligent about the whole thing. From what others have said, the new owners of SMB did in fact give people a grace period to use up the tickets, which is more than most new DZ owners would do.

If it were just a handful of tickets, it would be a nice gesture for SMB to honor them to keep you loyal but you are asking them to swallow $400!

I never buy tickets in bulk for that reason. Dropzones have a way of disappearing without notice. Anyone remember AAWest in Taft?

Anyway, Greg Nardi is the new owner. He owns a couple of dropzones in Florida, Skydive Space Center & Jacksonville Extreme Sports. I hope that helps you to track him down. You know, you could just ask SMB for his e-mail or phone number.

You left $400 worth of jump tickets lying around in your car and you just forgot about them? Seems a bit silly that you are getting angry so long after the fact. You snooze, you loose.

I never said I was angry anywhere in this thread.

As for why I didn't find the tickets: I started jumping elsewhere because of the weather at SMB is so iffy in the summer and I got tired of waiting all-day for the fog to clear when Hollister is closer to home and always clear... and SMB was mainly focusing on Tandems at the time... (still mainly is).

Others started feeding on what happened with their thoughts and opinions (including you) vs. just trying to be helpful and answering the question: Does anyone have a contact.

Which by the way, you came the closest so far.

Thanks.

The owner of SMB is Pat and Greg Nardi, they also own skydiver space center in titusville and skydive Jacksonville in Florida. I know Pat and Greg fairly well, I used to work for them doing Tandems, Although I don't have their current contact information, I am sure that they will not honor tickets 2 years old from the former owner. It sucks for you but I can understand why they wouldn't honor them after 2 years.

Here you go, the DZ's contact info. Do I win? I'm guessing they know how to get ahold of their DZO. Either that or they don't need to because they know the company policy.

http://www.skydivemontereybay.com/contact.html

Good luck getting them honored as anything but a souvenir of the old SMB. I've lost plenty of tickets myself, including some in freefall, that weren't replaced at other DZs in the area. It definitely sucks, and I try not to buy very many tickets in advance now.

I've also had tickets that were wasted because of a change in ownership. I was given some notice and a grace period, I just didn't find them in my gear bag until it was too late.

I much prefer the system of not having any bulk rates, letting you pay at the end of the day or leave a credit card, and a computer to keep track of your account.

I know that when Greg and Patty bought Skydive Space Center, I had about 40 jumps on a 100 jump block left on account there, and they honored these jumps :)(which is how I did my first 300 jumps).

Anyways, they were great for honoring the tickets I had, but after a couple years, I'd say you are SOL.

Mark Klingelhoefer

That's a nice thought, but I don't know of any law that makes it so.

And who's to say they bought the business? Maybe they just bought the assets. They sure don't have the airplane, they brought their own.

In the end it's what the business owner wants to do. If they want to keep the loyalty of their fun jumpers they may honor the tickets. If they don't care.....well.....

Of course they did honor a grace period, and that has since expired. Too bad for the OP.

If they are operating under the same name this may apply.
http://www.consumersunion.org/pub/core_financial_services/003889.html

http://www.cardreport.com/laws/california/1749-5.html
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."