joyboy

Skydive Delmarva closed?

Makes you wonder about the whole equal access laws the FAA spouts off about. I said a few years ago we were going to start seeing more and more of this.Soon the only DZs will be the ones on private property so if you can go out and buy 100 acres now would be the time to start a DZ. Hmmm...the area around Dublin is nice and flat.

We, the jumpers, have limited information at this time, so I can't really offer any more than this:

At the present time Delmarva is having issues with the new airport owner (Lee Franklin Booth). He has shut us down until further notice for reasons unknown to us, but we are doing everything possible to get back up and running ASAP. We are currently doing tandems out of Ocean City Municipal Airport with the help of Skydive Ocean City, so yes we are still operating.

Delmarva will prevail through all of this, without a doubt. For now we are staying positive and waiting for more information.

Makes you wonder about the whole equal access laws the FAA spouts off about. I said a few years ago we were going to start seeing more and more of this.Soon the only DZs will be the ones on private property so if you can go out and buy 100 acres now would be the time to start a DZ. Hmmm...the area around Dublin is nice and flat.

Delmarva is a private airport, equal access only applies to airports that receive federal funding.

From what I have heard the owner of the property does not want the jumpers there anymore. It is his land, he can do what he wants.

I too received an email that jump operations are suspened. I emailed AOPA's ASN (airport support network for pilots) about this and recieved this reply.

Stephen...

Thanks for your inquiry.. It is our understanding that the airport has changed hands from one private owner to another private owner. Our research has found that the airport, while open for public use is privately owned and that there are no federal grants in place or associated FAA grant assurances. As such, the private owner can pretty much make the rules for what can and cannot take place and what approvals and insurance they may require.

We may have additional information at a later time since we're in the process of appointing an Airport Support Network volunteer at the airport.

While the sale isn't necessarily good news, privately owned airports that are not federally obligated cause significant challenges in the advocacy arena. There simply in not much that can be done.

Bill Dunn

Does anyone have any updates on Delmarva? Have they found a new zone to jump at, or will they be in Ocean City for a while? I'm working on my AFF progession at Skydive Maryland in Ridgely, and was really looking forward to jumping out of the twin otter once I got licensed.

Looks like they may get jumping again next week. I hear they are signing a new lease.

The sale of the airport has fallen through, so we should be back up in the air next weekend, assuming all paperwork is completed by then. I will post when it is all finalized.