kallend

Who's going to the TSR?

Thanks for the update Jim.

We are attempting 6 jumps tomorrow. More then.

What height are you jumping from? Around 20k I suspect if it's anything like Z-Team. 6 jumps from that height a day is hard core. Good luck!
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Jennifer Jones, of Mobile, Ala., twisted her ankle Thursday when she stepped in a hole while landing. But with the record in sight, she donned an ankle brace for another jump.

"As long as you have fun and none of your friends get hurt, then everything is great," she said.

Someone say hi to Jen from me - the pink chick from the other plane who held her hand when we were jumping in Perris!

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

DAY TWO:

Day two started out with what looked like morning overcast. The A-team was sent up to determine altitude and how "broken" was the cloud cover. Except for a little ice at 18k and landing off the dz we were good to go.

The first jump didn't continue yesterday's near completion. Lots of backpacking around the formation. People seemed to be hurrying and not watching for jumpers moving along the near radials.

With a few changes and cuts, the jumps continued to improve with 5 sectors out of six complete several times.

On the 4th jump a line of low clouds over the dz caused the formation to cruise around over South Houston for a long time while climbing to 18k. Returning to the dz with jump run approximately 180 degrees off the planned route, breakoff was signaled around 7,500 ft instead of 6,500 for the first wave. The early break-off confused some jumpers, but all the locals knew we were way off the dz. Although some made it back, there were a substantial number of out landings and a cutaway by Rich Williams.

By the 5th jump the skies had mostly cleared and we had the best jump of the day with 5 sectors completed and 4-6 out. Formation was flat and quiet.

On landing, one jumper had a toggle come off a line just as he flared and he face planted and got some pretty nasty facial cuts and scratches. Another jumper attempted a cut-away because of a step through. The main would not release and she landed the two out with no injuries. One other TSR jumper had a cut-away on the same jump.

The captains called it a day after dirt diving the second point so that everyone could eat early and get some rest.

Biggest issue today seemed to be getting in a hurry.

Tomorrow is looking to be a great day.....

Blue skies,

Jim

Another jumper attempted a cut-away because of a step through. The main would not release and she landed the two out with no injuries. One other TSR jumper had a cut-away on the same jump.

No need to name names here, Jim, but can you tell me how current this jumper is? Total jumps and number of jumps this year? Be as accurate as possible. I am just wanting to see if this fits within the left and right limits of my current hypothesis about such invite-only events.

Chuck

I have proof of the non-suckage....

http://www.shutterfly.com/pro/CKossan/Skydive/NEWTSR074x6size

Ok, I just looked at the pictures and saw that the posted ones above are not the correct shots (grips missing)... It's late and I have to get up early, so keep looking.

I know I have shots of the completed formations, we looked!!

I'll post the completed ones tomorrow. If we get the 2nd point tomorow though.. I may be too thoroughly celebrated to post though :)

Congrats ya'll!!!

As John and Cory said we got two 150 ways on Saturday. As with most big ways it was obvious from the way the formations were flying that they were either complete or very near--quiet and calm.

It was a great effort by the captains to move people around to their best slots while moving a few people up from the A team. When it clicked, it really clicked.

The last attempt today was a 2 point 150 way from 21k. It went very well with only a few people who went low. The transition was smooth although the fall rate changed between the freefalling base and outside whackers. Lots of movement and elevation differences which caused problems maintaining the formation integrity for more than a few seconds.

There are three attemps from 21k on Sunday.

What a great day. Congrats to all the TSR jumpers and the support staff who made it possible.

Blue skies,

Jim

can you tell me how current this jumper is? Total jumps and number of jumps this year?

Very current jumper who was on an 8 way team that competed in the TSL and Nationals last year. Probably did 200 team jumps and at least 100 fun jumps.

Blue skies,

Jim

well? Did they get it? We want to know?

Got the Texas State Record 150 way, with a repeat, on Sat. Weathered out Sunday, so no sequential.

It was a great event, thanks to all involved in organizing it, especially Tom Jenkins, the Boyds, and Jim Alkek.:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It was a beautiful formation, had good weather until Sunday. we made all attempts from 18000 ft and went to 21000 late Saturday to have some more time for the second point. All the jumps planned for Sunday would have been from 21000, and with the team we had most likely would have had it. Completed 2 150's on Saturday. Just a great bunch of jumpers, captians and organizers, also super DZ staff and support.
Falcon 74, Eagle 110, NFS 407, GW-2945, DW-1641, DDW-1151, "Inga... elevate me"

The captains were up early on Sunday morning working to come up with an alternative transition plan that would allow the whackers to hang with the base as the base.

On the first 2nd point transitions there was significant movement in the formation as the transition was made. First whacker line off the 3 way loops was tossed around which kept 2nd and 3rd whackers from attaching. As base dropped grips they sped up while the whackers continued to hold grips as a line. It was ugly!

On the 2nd attempt at the 2nd point transition, the whackers anticipated the changing fall rate and many of the lines docked, but there was still significant movement in the diamond builds and pods off the base.

What the captains came up with was a reverse build where the whackers would transition, then the next section closer to the base, then the next. This staged transition would keep movement to a minimum and minimize the impact of the change fall rate.

The changes felt good during the dirt dive and we suited up, walked it a few more times and went to the aircraft. Next thing we knew, we are being told to stand down.

The captains held the attempt due to some clouds moving over the dz. Unfortunately that was the best weather we would have on Sunday.

Cloud tops at 4500 ft and bases at 1300 ft. Breakoff from 6500 for the outer 2 whacker lines with deployment at 2500 would have been exciting! ;)

All in all we were very pleased with this year's TSR. Almost everything went as planned and getting the second 150-way was a great bonus. There were several personnel changes between the attemps so we actually had more than 150 jumpers get into the two 150-ways.

Plane/Sector captains were great, jumpers were great, dz volunteers were the best I have seen and the dz, pilots, photographers, and aircraft were outstanding.

Having the army visit with an Apache, giving a demo, and then riding with us on an attempt as the Otter copilots was fun.

It was also interesting watching the jumpers being interviewed by tv and newspaper people. Everyone's attitude was so upbeat and positive, and the energy level was maintained throughout the event.

Even the A-team was pumped and did a series of 16 fantastic jumps. Of course they kept losing people to the 150-way, but it always seemed they were doing multi plane 20 to 30 ways.

Hats off to Scott Latnis the A-team captain for giving us a fantastic resource to pull from. All the jumpers that moved up did a fantastic job.

It was disappointing that we were not able to get the last 3 jumps in. Especially to the two A-team members who had been pulled up and then never got to jump with the 150-way, Next time guys!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to making the event a success and all the participants who achieved the record on Texas Independence day.

Footnote:

How many world team jumpers does it take to spot and exit a Casa? A bunch....and that is a whole different story!

Blue skies,

Jim

How many world team jumpers does it take to spot and exit a Casa? A bunch....and that is a whole different story!

Funny, I had mentioned to Kate how honored I was to be surrounded by so many WT jumpers on that ride up.

Hi Tash! Of course I remember my docking buddy from JFTC! Thanks for your well wishes. I finally arrived home with the camper and went to the doc. Looks like I broke my fibula just above the ankle. It is a clean break. It was too late to set it today and since I have already waited so long, I am going tomorrow to have it set and casted. I am glad I was able to keep jumping without injuring it further. Thanks to a fantastic staff at Tsr and most importantly to Barb for keeping my foot taped. Also to my son for picking up my scooter at the plane and to all those wonderful people in the trucks and four wheelers that drove out to get me so I didn't have to walk.

This was one of the best events ever, the nicest people, jumpers and non-jumpers; what could have been a ruined vacation turned out to be one of the best times ever!

[.i]Footnote:[./i]

Hey, we found the only hole in the clouds to do a nice two-point 31 way.

And we have booked the whole texas-hiking-trip experience.

B|B|B|B|B|B|

M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

Congratulations on getting the TSR but commiserations for not getting the sequential. Sounds like you had a great team and a great event and a good chance of getting the sequential if you'd had the weather!
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I finally arrived home with the camper and went to the doc. Looks like I broke my fibula just above the ankle. It is a clean break.!

Setting a record with a broken leg - now THAT'S HARD CORE!

I have proof of the non-suckage....

http://www.shutterfly.com/pro/CKossan/Skydive/NEWTSR074x6size

Ok, I just looked at the pictures and saw that the posted ones above are not the correct shots (grips missing)... It's late and I have to get up early, so keep looking.

I know I have shots of the completed formations, we looked!!

I'll post the completed ones tomorrow. If we get the 2nd point tomorow though.. I may be too thoroughly celebrated to post though :)

Congrats ya'll!!!

Hi Cory,

The shots of the 150 way are no longer on that link.

Did you get your computer up and running again?

Luckily it was your fibula that you fractured. Since it is not a weight bearing bone you will only need to get a cast. Fibula fractures do not need reducing.

Congrats to all from Paul and Belinda. You all rule!

~Paul Creel SCS-5015

B|B|grumbleB|B|

short answer: http://www.shutterfly.com/pro/CKossan/Skydive

I pulled down the "nearly complete" pictures, to prevent anyone from buying a "nearly complete" 150 way ;).

As for the home computer; I am still working on getting everything running back at home. Having just moved, I find myself having to dig through countless boxes located in multiple closets, just to find the drivers I need to make certian things work.

However, I do have a work computer.. and I finally finished posting up shots of the record 150, and follow up 150. Two versions of each exist, one has the event, date, and location noted on it, the other is "pure".

-- Cory