kallend

Who's going to the TSR?

People are already showing up!

2 of the captains are here and jumping today (Sunday 4/15), Truett, Whitey and other mixed in with the 92 tandems, and Lew Sanborn competitors.

Busy day with no clouds. Temp started out in 40's with a high today of 70F.

Woohoo!

Blue skies,

Jim

Good Luck to all of the TSR participants! I wish I could be there with you guys but looks like our little one has decided to hold out for Tuesday when the event gets started.

It would be a great birthday present for the TSR and her birth to be on the same day!
Blue Skies!!!
Kimmy

I'm coming on Wed. and hope to get a jump in late in the afternoon. Travel save and see you in the base!

Kimbo:)

If you see me in the base, something is badly wrong!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I guess I'm confused...I thought that once you dock on the base you become the base.

Kimbo

SO when people cheer "Da Base" in the debrief, they are cheering the whackers?

In the debrief I would expect "da base" would refer to the original base that exited as a piece. When I said that I would see you in the base I am refering to the entire formation flying as the base. Yes even the wackers are the base once they've docked!

Kimbo

In the debrief I would expect "da base" would refer to the original base that exited as a piece. When I said that I would see you in the base I am refering to the entire formation flying as the base. Yes even the wackers are the base once they've docked!

Kimbo

:P:P:P:P

DAY ONE:

Weather was great although a little chilly at 6:30 AM when I left the house for the dz.

We made four jumps today from 18K with the full 150 jumpers.

Typical first big way day. On the first load the planes were not lined up correctly. In right rear trail we were way to low compared to left rear trail and had a long climb up the hill to the base. Fall rate was significantly slower than expected after the 3-way lines docked on the base. A substantial number of the whackers went low.

Jump 2 was much better with one of the sectors completing, but still people low.

Jump 3 was again better with 3 sectors complete or nearing completion although there was a mix up in signals and the superfloater left 4 seconds before the base. Another long climb up the hill to the base.

Jump 4 three of the sectors were completed and everyone is feeling good about tomorrow.

Way to much World Team blue in the base! ;) Tom Jenkins had to change to his red WT suit to give us a better key.

Jack Berke who was our pull-out for the first wave at break-off couldn't find his pud and pulled his reserve out of the base! Great video of his pilot chute and free bag launching off the main.

Everyone is doing a great job of following all the safety rules. Absolutely one of the cleanest break-offs I have been involved with and we are so spread out under canopy and during landing, it's like jumping from a single Caravan.

One jumper had a slightly sprained ankle during the first landing since the landing direction was slightly down wind. Jumper continued jumping the rest of the day.

Kudo's to Spaceland for repairing one of Paul's Otters. Cost us one jump today, but the mechanics removed and replaced the brake caliper and pads in less than an hour.

Saw two videos of the A-team jumps and they looked like a lot of fun and were complete with multiple points.

Was great seeing everyone again and meeting some of the "new to me" jumpers.

We are attempting 6 jumps tomorrow. More then.

Blue skies,

Jim

Some press. Hurdle? :-P I know we are jumping but...

150 skydivers pursue Texas formation record

© 2007 The Associated Press

ROSHARON, Texas — A team of skydivers is making multiple jumps a day over Southeast Texas in its quest to set a state record for the largest formation of free-falling divers.

Their goal is for 150 divers to converge into a giant snowflake shape as they hurdle toward the earth grasping each other's arms and legs. The divers made five attempts Thursday and planned to keep jumping through Sunday.

"It's hard enough to get 150 people together in one place on the ground," said Lou Tommaso, a skydiving farmer from New Jersey. "It's a lot harder to have them do it up in the air."

The Texas record of 125 jumpers in formation was set in Dallas in 2005. The world record of 400 was set in Thailand last year.

Steve Boyd and his son, Eric Boyd, coordinated the record bid from their business Skydive Spaceland in Rosharon, about 30 miles south of Houston. A similar effort in 2002 set a former state record of 120 people in formation.

"We try to set a record about every other year," said Eric Boyd, 30, whose made more than 8,000 jumps since he started on his 18th birthday.

To prepare for the jump, the divers rehearse their choreographed maneuvers on the ground and study videos of their previous attempts. Different groups wear different colors of jumpsuits to help their recognition in the air.

Seven planes ferry the divers to an altitude of 18,000 feet, flying in a V-shaped formation because of the number of divers.

The divers have about a minute to work themselves into formation before they must disband and take turns activating their parachutes. They sail down to one of seven drop zones to prevent collisions.

Jennifer Jones, of Mobile, Ala., twisted her ankle Thursday when she stepped in a hole while landing. But with the record in sight, she donned an ankle brace for another jump.

"As long as you have fun and none of your friends get hurt, then everything is great," she said.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live