Wright

Z TEAM 200 WAY WORLD RECORD

I'm sure if Guy and his recruiting team lowered their standards they could've been doing 200-way attempts.
Like most experienced big-way jumpers, I would way rather be on a successful sub-200 sequential and have fun doing it than be on a frustrating 200-way gong show. And I'm sure as these organizers continue to prove their track record of inviting only top quality big-way jumpers there will be a snowball effect and the jumps will grow in size much faster in the long run.

I know longevity isn't a concept many skydivers are familiar with though so I understand why you might be frustrated....

***I'm sure if Guy and his recruiting team lowered their standards they could've been doing 200-way attempts.

Not accurate. There were plenty of super-qualified people invited who just did not want to do it or could not commit to it for other reasons (I was one). "Standards" and actual real-world qualifications don't have a lot to do with who gets on these jumps. I would much, much rather be in the air on such attempts with people who make more than 100 jumps a year and who have AFF ratings and other useful qualifications other than just a full wallet. Jim Alkek wrote a thread a couple of years ago discussing the "diminishing pool of qualified big-way participants." I responded that there were actually MANY more qualified people than there were ten years ago, but that they simply do not care to commit to efforts where they are going to share the airspace with inexperienced jumpers who "paid their price" by means of paying even more money to attend some person's "authorized bigway skills camp." A perfect example is the person who posts as "ElChester" on here. He lied to a bigway camp organizer about his experience to get in, then lied about it again to get invited on the 400-way. He now laughs about that and talks about all the 100-way stuff he has done. That may sound vicious, but it's positively true. The best big-way jumps I have ever been on were walk-ups at the Eloy Holiday boogie in 2002. You can't bitch about 2-point 60-ways, can you? Particularly not when the dirtdive only took ten minutes and nobody stood in the middle trying to "teach you to skydive."

Again, actual qualifications don't mean much at all in some cases. People get invited in a number of ways: They either paid their dues through the "pick me" system of "camp" attendance; are a known quantity in terms of skydiving ability (a ringer) who's other accomplishments speak for themselves; or are a "sub-ringer" who's accomplishments are vouched for by some known plane captain/organizer from their local region. It's a very convoluted system in my eyes, but saying that the "recruiting team" needed to lower their standards in order to fill this 200-way attempt is not correct. They simply could not get enough qualified people to accept (for whatever reason). FWIW, I was invited but could not accept because I was a primary organizer at the wingsuit event that was going on concurrently. I hate that, because I really do love bigway skydives!

Chuck Blue
D-12501
Z-flock Wingsuit School

Chuck in his normal no bullshit way is pretty much spot on.

Perhaps slightly off topic.

One of the biggest of the big way people explained it to me like this:

“Never for get that big ways are social. If the person has the skills and the ability to be safe and I like them they will normally get the slot over the person who I don’t know or like.”

Now think about it.

Your organizing 20 ways at your dz, a local jumper who can do the job wants a spot BUT a friend who you really like shows up that weekend (and he/she can do the job to)……..who do you think will get the slot?

Record events aren’t a lot different. They “cover it up” better but it works about the same.

The going to camps rout isn’t all-bad, and yes people make money off them but you do get face time. But don’t think just because you went to the camps and didn’t get criticize that you golden. Re-read the above. Being from a large dz certainly helps. For me taking the time to travel to Deland was critical.

I ruined a lot of good times chasing after a WT slot. Every event was filled with the pressure of not screwing up, but once I realized that the selection process wouldn’t totally be about who had the most 100 ways in there log book and that there wasn’t that much I could do to change the selection (after a certain skill level, and face time) I started to have a lot more fun.

Now 200 way or 150 way or whatever, I enjoy seeing my friends……..
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

I responded that there were actually MANY more qualified people than there were ten years ago, but that they simply do not care to commit to efforts where they are going to share the airspace with inexperienced jumpers who "paid their price" by means of paying even more money to attend some person's "authorized bigway skills camp."

Not quite sure where you are going with this. Everyone is inexperienced at some time - we all had our FIRST 100-way, even you. And I expect you were pleased that the "experienced" folk jumped with you back then.

Among the people who didn't make it into the final 140 on Saturday were (at least) two WT members, while several people on their first 100+ way did a great job.
Experienced or not, WT or not, if you are not performing on any given day, you may well be asked to sit down.

There are indeed some skills that are specific to bigways, and although I haven't been to a camp, I don't see anything wrong with learning those skills in a low pressure environment like a camp. I don't see paying to go to a bigway camp as any different than paying a coach for your 4-way team.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I don't see paying to go to a bigway camp as any different than paying a coach for your 4-way team.

Well said, having said that you generally don't jump with a four way coach who THEN determines IF you get to be on a four way team.

and although I haven't been to a camp,

and all these years I respected you, but I always knew something just didn't add up :P

cya in Texas........
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Was it a 140 or a 139?

Guy posted here and he said "139".

Z Team Record

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's official, the Z Team 07 completed a 2 point 139 way "un-official world record on jump 14 on the last dive of the last day.

Stay tuned for articles to come.

Good job Z Team.

Guy

Either way, good job guys. Sorry I missed you all. Now go up and break the record in Texas.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey