upndownshop

SkyFest 7: July 11th to 16th 2007 @ SD Spaceland!

I humbly thank everyone for enlightening me. Guess I heard things one-sided. But, it was from numerous people. Again, I understand there are substantial costs to putting something like this on. However, the higher jump prices seemed odd, since I haven't seen that with other boogies. But, I guess every event's cost structure is different.

I had a great time there, anyway. The AN-2 was especially a lot of fun.

Chris: Your question was VERY valid, I asked the same question. Why a $3.00 increase (fuel I was told) in 2006 and asked again this year. SF ONLY received $1.00 from the $3.00 they claimed we were getting. Your points are both correct and incorrect. This also applies to Nathan.

I want to thank you both for your honest support of SF, and I too would ask the same questions if I was in your shoes.

Jim:
Spaceland was a great part of our history, I am sorry that your DZ could not take advantage of the "fund raiser" benefits from your community. Muskogee and other Municipalities across the country and regular DZ's do recognize how to work the public in a way to "lower" costs for the jumper.
Things like a new runway could possibly be a "write off" if done correctly, or atleast a keg of beer. Again we loved being at Spaceland and will miss it.

Since you have opened yourself up to "educate" the public would you please mind going into more detail of the numbers you speak of? I am sure the skydiving community would love to have a lesson on "how to run a boogie"(September 2006 Issue of SD Magazine) from a premier DZ like SD Spaceland. I for one would love to understand the inner dealings of how to make it profitable. I understand you have a great tool that we could work from, your spreadsheet. Would you mind posting that so maybe DZ's and event organizers could use it to learn how to budget and finance their event. Heck if done right I bet you could get it printed so folks across the world could do a better job in the future. Thus of course adding to your true support of the SF event as you mentioned earlier. And of course teaching DZ's across the world how to make money, thus adding to our sport.
I am sure that there are more that would love to learn from the 7 years SF has been in existance and from a very successful 9 (is that right?) year old DZ?

Thank you Jim for your support and I look forward to hiring your AC in the future.

Oh By the way, we do have something in common:

Sorry, but I can't afford to work for free and then pay for my jumps too!

Blue skies,

Jim

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't afford to work for free

me neither Jim.......

Thank you all

J Schrimsher

Gentlemen, from what I heard Skyfest was a fun and safe boogie this year, as all boogies should be. I think you all are tarnishing the spirit of the boogie by airing your complaints now in this thread. Next year, when people pull up this thread to decide if this is a boogie they want to go to or not, they're going to pull up the end of the thread to see how it went, not all the fluff in the beginning.

If you feel you need to continue this discussion on a public forum, my advice is to create another thread about what boogie fees pay for to General Skydiving. If you feel you need to take snips at each other, take it to pms.

May the spirit of Skyfest continue, no matter where it takes place. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I wrote this in myspace blog:

Skyfest 07
Current mood: cheerful
Category: Sports

My first Skyfest boogie couldn't have been more perfect! I jumped from the Skyvan 3 times (!!) with George, Caroline, Pier, Kara & RD and I jumped from the Super Otter 2 times (!!) with George, Caroline, Angelee and Shari! My hubby found a Vector container in great shape with all the pieces at a G-R-E-A-T price and it fits me! I've sent it to Relative Workshop for inspection, adding a skyhook and changing the leg straps to the comfy cushy kind! I met new people and made friends with 2 AWESOME (and I might add HOT) FastTrax men, Isaiah and Scott. Those guys are so COOL and NICE and PROFESSIONAL and I know you can't get any better than that! I plan to do a canopy jump with Isaiah the next time our paths cross. FOR SURE!

I must say I am proud of myself for going and jumping. It was a bit intimidating but I kept my wits about me and had a VERY FUN time! I watched, I listened, I learned and I came home with a little more confidence in my skydiving abilities. That's pretty cool huh?

I got several "way to go" comments from my skydiver friends. Skyfest is FUN and I can't wait to go to Muskogee next year!

Blue Skies!
"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

Jay,

I'm glad I went. I had a great time.
I got to see some buddies from Texas that I haven't seen in a while.

I did some SCR attempts (one with 2 of the candidates). You need to thank BigUn again for repeatedly endangering himself. :D
A sweet 3pt 18-way, a bunch of hoop dives and inflatables. I met a bunch of new people.

A while back, I was in a meeting and a person said that everything was running so smoothly that he didn't think my contract would be renewed. (Some people just seem to miss the obvious.)

It is pretty difficult to make everything appear to be so easy from the outside. Congratulations on a successful and fun event. Thanks for all the hard work.
B|

I wrote this in myspace blog:

Skyfest 07
Current mood: cheerful
Category: Sports

My first Skyfest boogie couldn't have been more perfect! I jumped from the Skyvan 3 times (!!) with George, Caroline, Pier, Kara & RD and I jumped from the Super Otter 2 times (!!) with George, Caroline, Angelee and Shari! My hubby found a Vector container in great shape with all the pieces at a G-R-E-A-T price and it fits me! I've sent it to Relative Workshop for inspection, adding a skyhook and changing the leg straps to the comfy cushy kind! I met new people and made friends with 2 AWESOME (and I might add HOT) FastTrax men, Isaiah and Scott. Those guys are so COOL and NICE and PROFESSIONAL and I know you can't get any better than that! I plan to do a canopy jump with Isaiah the next time our paths cross. FOR SURE!

I must say I am proud of myself for going and jumping. It was a bit intimidating but I kept my wits about me and had a VERY FUN time! I watched, I listened, I learned and I came home with a little more confidence in my skydiving abilities. That's pretty cool huh?

I got several "way to go" comments from my skydiver friends. Skyfest is FUN and I can't wait to go to Muskogee next year!

Blue Skies!

Mary
Thank you for your kind words. Its stories like this that make it worth all the effort. What you described is exactly why we do this event. Your support means more than you know.

Thank you for help keeping Jerry's legacy alive.

We now have over 21,000 skydives made during its 7 year history with only a broken leg. Which happened in free fall with two National Champions. Knocking on wood. Of course I was nervous this year but all went well.

Thanks again

J