WatchYourStep

Where should my friends do their tandems at in Orlando?

I'm going to Orlando in Jan and three friends are coming with me. They all want to do a tandem jump on the trip. What place gives the best bang for your buck for tandem jumpers in that area?

I know this is a subjective question but I'm just looking for help.

I plan to hit at least Z-Hills and hopefully Deland while I'm there, but I'm willing to go elsewhere.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

I find that Z-Hills has the most fun on their tandems from my experience. Of course I'm biased as that is my home dz but...They really make it an experience. Most of the other DZ's around here, they're just another tandem. Especially if they get video...they WON'T have more fun than Z-Hills!

B|B|B|

I know this is a subjective question but I'm just looking for help.

It's extremely subjective and you're likely to just get "do it at my dz because it's the bestest" answers. I'd go to http://www.uspa.org/dz/states/FL.htm and look up the numbers for all the nearby dropzones. Call them and find out the prices for the tandem and video. Then base your decision on that.

Now for my biased answer:

All of them around Orlando are quality dropzones and perfectly safe. The big differences will be price, location and how much you like the staff. Sebastian probably has the best view since it's near the Atlantic(Titusville may be the same, I haven't been there yet), but it's further out from Orlando than the other dropzones in the area.

I think you'll find the most experienced TM's at Deland and I disagree that the tandem passengers don't have any fun there. Sebastian does have the best scenery by far. Quite frankly, FL does so many tandems, they will be fine at any of the major dz's.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thanks for the feeback so far guys. I'd love to look at Deland's website but it's still down :(

Has anyone jumped in Titusville? I noticed they go to 18K with some of their tandems and it's also right on the coast.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

I think you'll find the most experienced TM's at Deland and I disagree that the tandem passengers don't have any fun there. Sebastian does have the best scenery by far. Quite frankly, FL does so many tandems, they will be fine at any of the major dz's.

I have to agree on that. From what i have seen down there they have been the most proffesional TI's i have come across. It also has a nice bar for you to have some drinks afterwards
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

I took a friend to do a tandem at Deland and was impressed with the experience he got. I didn't think much about where to go since I was already at Deland for Scott Miller's course and it was the closest DZ to my friend's house, but I wasn't at all disappointed (nor was he).

We were even able to watch his video at the Perfect Spot afterward and my friend got his moment of glory.B| He had been rained out the previous day and Deland was very accomodating in getting him in on the following day (which was great because I was only around for the weekend and didn't want to miss his tandem).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Has anyone jumped in Titusville? I noticed they go to 18K with some of their tandems and it's also right on the coast.

I actually started my skydiving career there, but is was under different ownership and they didn't have that fast plane. It's a smaller dz, the facility is a little less grand than say that of Z-hills or DeLand. You get a better view of Kennedy Space Center and the coast line, if you're into that.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

PM Chuck - he owns his own tandem rig and I'm working on my video. He'll give you the dz.com discount on the tandem, I'll do the video for free. ;) If you have multiple friends, get the dz to do them and we can do them together. B|

DeLand is also a great choice!B|

Edited to add: Oh, we're at Z-Hills and Chuck is SkymonkeyONE.B|

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Thanks for the feeback so far guys. I'd love to look at Deland's website but it's still down :(

FYI: I just called Deland and their website should be back up today.

I've taken friends and relatives to both Deland and Z-hills. Z-hills was the most friendly and fun...by far.
They treated them like people and friends instead of just cash cows. Definitely look up Chuck and Katie Blue at Z-hills.

Sorry, Deland...that's just from my experiences with both DZ's.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

tandem passengers don't have any fun there

I've never known a tandem passenger not to have any fun. Even the pukers will admit later that it was the time of their life.

Consider a DZ that refers to tandems as "students", not "passengers".

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

They might even enjoy a jump at one of the many non-major DZ's.

True, I know they'll be well taken care of in Palatka too. ;) I can't speak for any of the other dz's because I haven't been to them.

Call ahead. Find out which DZ will refund their money if they don't get to jump...unless that's not an issue with them and they can stay until hell freezes over or the weather clears, which ever comes first.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Titusville is my home DZ, and its a great place. Their average tandem altitude is 15k, and yes they do go up to 18k. Its only about half an hour out of Orlando (depending on which side your on). Plus you get a great view of Kennedy Space Center and the Ocean on the ride to altitude.

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus