Scubadivemaster

Canopy School and Scuba

As you may guess from my screen name, I am a PADI Divemaster, as is my Wife. We have seen the light and turned into skydivers, but are still trying to keep current and do some spectacular scuba diving.

For our vacation this year my wife has given me these requirements: A canopy school so that we can get some good direct coaching on canopy skills, and we HAVE to be able to do some scuba diving. And not cold, dark, wish we were somewhere else scuba diving; we want warm water, clear, 3mil at tops wetsuit diving.

Anyone know where we can find both within a single day flight from the central US? (Flying out of Nashville, TN or Louisville, KY). I'm sure we could find both in Australia or in some remote location, but I don't want to spend most of my vacation in transit.

Before someone lectures me, I understand the skydive then scuba dive requirements; I spent 6 months in Mexico teaching scuba, so I understand those requirements.

Input is greatly appreciated!

You could fly into Orlando (lots of flights there!) and go to Scott Miller's course at Skydive DeLand. I'm not sure what specific dive sites there are, but it's not more than a few-hour drive to either coast and there must be some good, warm diving out there.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Come to Sebastian, FL There is a good canopy coach and there is good 3 mil wetsuit diving not far. I dive in Jupiter which would be a two hour drive form Sebastian.

Pm me if you wish

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Come to Sebastian, FL There is a good canopy coach and there is good 3 mil wetsuit diving not far. I dive in Jupiter which would be a two hour drive form Sebastian.

Pm me if you wish

Yeah! Lets do that.
What about setting aside one day of the Flora-bama trip in may. Sunday or Monday.

How do ya like it Johnny?

Pm me if you wish

How about an intentional water landing next to the dive boat?

Pm me if you wish

How about an intentional water landing next to the dive boat?

If you like salt water on your gear be my guest. I wonder what it would be like to do CRW with a BCD, fins, tank and regulators on?

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Though some will surely argue, there is simply no good diving in this area. If you want to work on skills or training, there are many quarries to dive in, but nothing interesting if you have really seen the underwater world in the Caribbean or elsewhere.

We jump (if that was your question) primarily in Bardstown, Ky. It is a great and friendly place to jump, and we call it home, even though it is an hour and a half away from the house.

I have received messages from people suggesting DeLand and Sebastian. Any Scuba suggestions close to those two dropzones?

I have received messages from people suggesting DeLand and Sebastian. Any Scuba suggestions close to those two dropzones?

If you've never dove a freshwater spring, you should go to Blue Spring state park, 20 minutes from DeLand in Orange City. I don't SCUBA, but I have been freediving there for 10 years. There is a total depth of 120ft, and it gets overhead past about 60ft. I've never been past 90ft, but even going that far it is equivalent to a much deeper vertical dive, since you have to move horizontally so far (inclined shaft). It gets pretty dark and I freedive with a bright light (I can also wiggle through some TIGHT ~20ft-long traverses you literally couldn't fit through with SCUBA on :P - but I know that place like the back of my hand).

I have been freediving to probably a dozen of the most well-reviewed freshwater springs here in FL (we have literally HUNDREDS) and Blue Springs remains my favorite. In part, probably because it was my first. It gets very crowded some times of year... all the bubble blowers go first thing in the AM. A few summers ago, I had a weekly habit of skydiving in DeLand all day, then driving to Blue Springs at sunset and freediving for the one hour before the park closed, and NOBODY was in the water, it was great. In the past 2 years it's got even more crowded, and in the summer you can never have the place to yourself anymore. If you go with your SCUBA in the morning, expect a couple dozen other divers bumping tanks in the boil, and poor visibility. If I did SCUBA dive I'd imagine I'd go in the afternoon. Lots of swimmers on the surface, but nobody under. Call the park.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

As a bonus, if you come between now and February, you can see 50+ manatees camped out at Blue Springs for the winter. They're pretty cool!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Though some will surely argue, there is simply no good diving in this area. If you want to work on skills or training, there are many quarries to dive in, but nothing interesting if you have really seen the underwater world in the Caribbean or elsewhere.

We jump (if that was your question) primarily in Bardstown, Ky. It is a great and friendly place to jump, and we call it home, even though it is an hour and a half away from the house.

Sorry if I was unclear here. I was answering the question about diving in Nashville, Tn. I confused myself when I read my reply. Should have read: Though some will surely argue, there is simply no good diving in the Nashville area. Sorry for any Floridians that misinterpretted that.

I'm not a diver, so I'm not sure. I just know the manatees are there now, they showed them on tv yesterday. I know you can swim with the manatees at other springs (Crystal River, I think) but I don't know about Blue Springs. Might be worth a phone call. As far as canopy school, I highly recommend Scott Miller in DeLand.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Crystal River you can dive with the manatees. Other than that there isn't much to see. The Florida springs are neat to dive, but not a tropical dive destination. I've heard very good things about the West Palm area, but never been there to dive.

Skydive Belize looks great, but we are looking for more of a canopy school than a boogie. Maybe for next year, though . . .

You think people are wearing their own rigs on the intentional Blue Hole water landings?

Belize has a 500-jump minimum, so keep that in mind in your planning (I am well aware of that because every time I see info for that boogie I think ... I gotta get to 500 so I can go there!)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It appears from their site that they shut all water activities down while the manatees are there. Does that sound right?

Yes, it's true and it sucks. They used to let you in the water if you weren't "near" the manatees... but the manatees come to you and try to play! And then you are told to get out of the water for harassing a manatee. :D I'm pretty sure they probably don't let you in at all now. There are many other good springs in FL where you wouldn't have this problem, but none as close to DeLand.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Yep, there's an article in the paper today. No swimming, snorkeling, scuba or boating until manatee season is over.

>You think people are wearing their own rigs on the intentional Blue Hole water landings?

Oh, I know people are wearing their own rigs on the Blue Hole jumps! We end up repacking many of them. After a few decades in the sport most skydivers develop a remarkable assortment of old, worn gear perfect for such jumps. That Vector 1 with the round 24' reserve and a Crusilite main? Perfect.

Bill, have you done the Blue Hole? I know you fly WS, and somebody was telling me recently we could fly our WS there and not get wet because we could land on any of the dry spots in the atoll... does this sound possible to you?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com