skinnyflyer

skydiving in ontario

hi

I might be moving to woodstock or cambrige, ontario canada, to work in one of the toyota factories. i was just wondering which dz would be closest and a quick description would be great.

i only have two jumps so i'll be looking to do my aff.

i checked cspa.ca but their website isn't working properly.

thanks
nick t
"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives."
A. Sachs

Hey Nick,

I am located in Waterloo myself (north of Cambridge). I did my PFF at Niagara Skydive, in Dunnville (close to lake Erie). They have a King Air and a C-182. You should definitely come and visit. It takes me about 1:45 to get there by car.

I have also had a chance to make a few jumps at the Parachute School of Toronto in Baldwin. It is farther, close to lake Simcoe, but travel takes the same amount of time as you use the 400 series highways to get there. They have a C-206 IIRC.

See you in the spring! :)

Mikhail

Yes, SWOOP is definitely closer. They fly a C-206 and two C-182's according to their site.

To me, an extra hour each way is worth the King Air jumps. :) The C-206 doesn't fly above 10.5kft at Niagara, yet the King Air does routine 13.5kft. I've been up to 16kft on that thing (I was the only solo jumper on a big-way load). *Fast*

There is also Grand Bend Sport Parachute Centre about 30 minutes north of London. Bob pioneered aff in Canada. Check out their website at www.skydivegrandbend.com (That's me in blue on the right -- sorry --shameless plug)

There is also Skydive Burnaby, about 20 minutes from Dunnville. In the summer they have a Twin Otter.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

If you are close to Niagara Skydive (1 hour 45 isn't long) go there. Tim (the DZO) is really nice along with everybody else who teaches and jumps there. Also when you are off student status, it is easy finding people to jump with.
See you there

I did my AFF at Grand Bend also and I would highly recommend it. Bob and Mary really take the time to help you along with every step.

To be fair I have only ever jumped there and I will be going to a few others in Ontario next year, but Grand Bend will always be my home DZ.

Good luck with the move.

Come and check out Skydive Burnaby while you're there. Like someone else said, they have an Otter during the summer - I think it's about the only dropzone in Canada that regularly has one. It's flown south for the Winter now (about a week ago). From memory, I think it was here by May, but I could be mistaken. You're best bet on finding out when the Otter is back would be to talk to Mike, the DZO, next year when the weather starts warming up.

Burnaby also hosts a bunch of events, like canopy piloting comps and the last several Canadian formation records. The staff and the regulars are a good bunch of people. There are a few regulars who come from the Waterloo area.

I haven't been to Skydive Niagara, yet - been meaning to for a while, just hasn't happened, yet. I met a few of their staff who came by Burnaby one night - they seemed like nice people, so you'll probably enjoy it there, too. Burnaby would be slightly further for you, but they're both pretty close, and the only places in the area where you'll get more than 10.5k.