spiccoli

getting around in south UK- help please

i just moved to oxford from the states to study and am trying to hit the ground running so i dont loose currency.ive made it out to weston on the green this weekend to get all the bpa and club credentials out of the way, but was stranded because the bus doesnt run after 730 out there. luckily i got a ride to bicestor. is there anyone in oxford that would be interested in exchanging lifts to local dz's for a few pounds and good humor? especialy on sundays since i guess the busses dont seem to run there. or if someone knows more about bus schedules that im overlooking that also would be fantastic. if this is in the wrong forum, my appologies. the powers that be can feel free to move it. much thanks.
we need to talk about your flare..

I'd say to check in to getting your own car, except Oxford isn't really "car friendly" unless you live outside of the main part of town. And traffic on the loop roads (A34/A40/A4047/A4142 if I remember correctly) can be as bad as the States during rush hours. Driving in the center of town is horrible, and parking is just as bad: pricey in the public garages, and parking spots on the streets are scarce. Can't help you out w/rides, sorry! How's that for a useless response? :D

Really, I'll bet that you'll meet some mates who can get you around, either from the DZ, or school. Does your college or another one, have a skydiving club? I seen a bunch of UK folks on DZ, so maybe they can help you out.

Hope you enjoy you time there. I love that part of the country...beautiful. The picture is from my trip there last February. Have a few pints of bitter for me when you get the chance...which *should* be often!

Cheers!
Chris
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

The easiest DZ around Oxford to get to by public transport is Hinton.

I also studied in Oxfod and the best bet was to get a train to Kings Sutton and then get a taxi (best to call and book in advance) from there.

I was nearly always able to get a lift back to the Oxford Park and Ride from the DZ and then get a bus back into the city.

hth! :)
Vicki

Alternatively there are two Weston on the Green forums you could post to and see who replies, i'm sure i've seen posts from other people looking for car shares/lifts etc.

www.rafspa.co.uk
www.malcknox.co.uk

Have a look, we're all quite friendly :-) I'd offer but don't live in Oxford, but there are a fair number of people who do.

Lx