Kuper

AFF4 - I failed twice... what to do?!

the boogie was fun - although i didn't actually take part in it - because i'm not jump by myself yet...

the day after, (saturday) i tried AFF7... it was SO BAD!!!
i did a 'connected jump' (i don't know the real word for it in skydiving) with the JM (Ohad). when we jumped out, i was holding his arm and his chest's belt. that part was a big fun (we stay connected for 5-6 seconds) but after i left him - i started again with the turns and couldn't get rid of it. i failed this AFF7 and instead of doing a solo jump in the jump after it, i 'waste' it to try again AFF7 but now with the big boss too (Mordi). i failed it the second time as well, but mordi said that he hasn't a thing to do with me... he said that my body position is OK but i need to relex and stable it (like i succeeded, god knows how, in 5+6).

the boss wrote in my card that i finished the course. which means maybe next time i'll try to jump alone...:) is it good? bad? i don't know! i just know that i want to do it, and i know that even if i'll jump for 30 more times with a JM and he'll need to stop my turns every time, it can be a waste of time for me and for the DZ.... so why not just decide that i'm 'getting into the fire'? someday i'll have to do it alone! so why not doing it on my next time in the DZ?!

i'll let u know if i did the solo or not. it may takes a few weeks (the DZ took a break of 3 weeks :()

till next time - blue skies to all of you, and have fun!

http://www.orikuper.printroom.com

take your time and in your next few solo's work on your on.
sometimes the fact you have another person (jm) with you, makes you nervous, and you tense up.

i had the same problem when i went with mordi on a FF jump to work on my sitfly.
i started turning and could hardly stay in my sit.
right after the coached jump. everything was fine again.
i'm pretty sure you'll do ok on your solos , and a spin is something you can see for yourself (unlike movement forward or backwards.)
just remember the basics (pull, pull high enough, pull stable )

next time, look me up before you jump and not after, and i'll try to put you in a good mood...

please note that i post this after 4 straight shots of tequila (Mariachi Gold, if you must know) and 3 beers. so ,,, well , you know...
O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

Just remeber when concentrating on heading control and relaxing that you do not forget the most important thing.... PULL!

If the JM said you are off of student status you are off. I have never seen a JM let someone graduate because of simpathy. I have never passed anyone I did not feel 100% comfortable with. Even if they did not have the most pretty form in freefall. Obviously you have proven yourself. AFF will teach you survival skills not how to skydive. Once you are off student status you can learn how to skydive on your own. So obviously you have proven that you can exit an aircraft, fall, deploy, and land safely. So congrats and stay safe....

i finished (but that i actually didn't)

you did.
now you are ok to jump alone and work on things you have to get better at.
later on, when you feel better about the way you fly you'll do the rw training and go to the next step.
there are always "next steps" to go t B|

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

Oh ! don't worry, I failed AFF2 of all the levels. I managed to fail it even with 2 instructors holding onto me. One of the instructors at the DZ where I learn't who happens to be quite an accomplished guy and a very nice person once said that he passed his AFF in 22 jumps. According to him he use to spin like a top.

take your time and in your next few solo's work on your on.
sometimes the fact you have another person (jm) with you, makes you nervous, and you tense up.

Don't I know it.I did a coupla coach jumps with hooknswoop and I was so nervous I completly screwed the jumps up.I was more worried about screwing everything up and have him think me a idiot than I was on the jump and still screwed everything up.I am still in such awe with this man's skills that it intimidates the hell outta me.But I do try to heed every little piece of advice I can glean from him.

I repeated a lot of levels, don't use the word fail.
The key is " relaxing", some people can start relaxing early on, others take longer to settle in. It took me longer. But if you keep jumping it will happen. Crap students have turned into great jumpers.
And one day you could be advising others.
Eddy.

The key word in this tread has been: relax. This is true of course, but, having done a couple of jumps 'which went not according plan', this is also a very hard thing to do! I had problems going from static line w/ dummies to freefall. I was doing all kinds of freefly manouvers when I was supposed to do a C&P. Once under canopy, I enjoyed every moment, and that's why I kept going to the DZ: it's so much fun. So, if something doesn't work the first time, keep on trying, and don't forget to enjoy your jumps :)Bye the way, almost all skydivers have had difficulties at one stage or the other!
Yep, I'm also called

Don't underestimate your ability to screw up!

Just think happy thoughts and you will fly

I love this quote :)
I failed level 3 twice. I was so stiff, you could've used me as an ironing board. Went to wind tunnel. Floated face-down in the pool for two weeks. Eventually learned to relax. Now you can only use me like a really bad ironing board ;)

Good job with level 4. Remember that flying is not a natural state for humans! Don't expect miracles with AFF or any other thing you try in skydiving overnight. Just keep at it and be safe until things work.

Hi There.

Why are you skydiving? For fun, right? Don't lose sight of what you're doing in the detail of technique.

Keep going. If you're pulled up to the max in your arch, a) you have no room to adjust, and b) You'll never be symetrical as 1 half of your body is stronger than the other. Just relax a little more, think fast and move slowly - like a sloth wading through molasis - and you'll feel how the air affects you.

I was not a natural student. I have 3800 dives now, of which about 1100 are AFF, and your problems are solvable. Just hang in there.

Blue Skies,

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I did today my first solo! all alone!!! B|

WOW all by myself with no one around (and i was the 1st to exit, and i got out - like someone on the plane advised me - with 'head first' too!)

it was great. i had some turns, but it was all under control and i stoped them! i guess IT IS just the experience, which can help u to stay stable...
next time i'll try to turn by myself.

i had only 2 jumps today, although the weather was GREAT, but i was out of money... so i decided to come tomorrow again. i hope the weather will be ok and i that i'll get up in the noon (i'm gonna dance all night).

thanx to everyone here who encourage me and helped me to continue and not give up!
it was worth it so much!

blue sky to u all and have FUN!
Ori Kuper.:)

http://www.orikuper.printroom.com