SubtleGuy

Seeking DZ help!

Hello all, I have been lurking here for quite some time and was just wondering to get an unbiased opinion on 2 DZ's in my area. Did a tandem not too long ago and have been eagerly waiting to start the AFF asap(no S/L in my area that I'm aware of). The 2 DZs im looking at are Skydive New England in Maine and Skydive Pepperell. Any reccomendations?

Thanks in advance!

Both of them are great - really.

I did a tandem at Pepperell (my first) and it was fabulous. I haven't been to SNE yet but I hear its fabulous also. Check out Pepperell this weekend, I think the boogie is this weekend and they'll have a CASA.

Jen
Arianna Frances

O.K I gotta say first off I've never been to pepperell, but we have A LOT of jumpers who have either joined our staff, or are now making the longer drive to come and jump at Skydive New England. This has kind of made me not want to go to Pepperell at all... (but that is just My personal opinion... I'm not saying that Pepperell is not a good DZ to jump at) I have gone through my training at Skydive New England and EVERYONE there was fanfuckin tastic. There is SO much experience to learn from there and the VIBES are great. Everyone there is humble, even the people who should be skygods.I can land from a jump and get feedback from several coaches who were just hanging out and happened to see my landing. Instructors are always more than willing to take any amount of time needed to answer my questions. If someone sees me fighting with my canopy trying to get it in the bag or something like that... they often offer advise and tips without me even asking them.
I just got my B license there, and it will be my home DZ for life.It is the never never land of skydiving.
Please come up and check us out.
We have everything you will need right there. Camping, food, fire, music.... bring beer ;p
If you have any questions PM me and I will be more than happy to show you around if you decide to come up.

But of course;)

If I had to choose between any of the DZs in New England I'd pick JTown hands down (heck, I drive 1.5 hours to get there so it must be good :P), but since that wasn't an option I could only speak for Pepperell - haven't made the 4.5 hour drive up to SNE yet...

If you are looking for a place to go through AFF, JTown will be your better bet. You'll have more coaches and instructors there than any other New England DZ - no lie. Even with the folks NOT on staff there is always someone to jump with if your done with your levels and just need to get your license.

I did my training in FL at Sebastian (Hi Wendy!), and it was fantastic but I still wish I could have done it at JTown because of the variety of experienced folks there. I believe you will have a better overall learning experience at JTown - thier standards for students are exceptionally high for skydiving in general, not just new england.

In my talks with people in the area the other dropzones will be exceptional to go to after you are licensed - they're lots of fun (SNE has some WILD parties I've heard:D), but as far as instruction you will probably have a better experience at JTown because the vibe is 'different' and very supportive of newbie jumpers. I have yet to hear about people having a bad learning experience at JTown, where as thats not the case for the other new england DZs (and it could have been just some folks with a chip on their shoulder but its what I've heard).

Best of luck where ever you go - if you get a chance, be sure to check out JTown too. The new facilities (which I finally get to see for myself tomorrow) are getting rave reviews, and I can vouch that the people there are second to none. I love them all and miss them greatly...

Jen
Arianna Frances

Read the reviews...

But read them with a discerning eye. They are not, in general, the objective views he's looking for. They tend to run from "this is the greatest DZ I've ever been to (and the only one)" to "the manifester was rude and the tandem instructor smelled bad." Check the review dates -- many are several years ago and in some cases the DZ has changed hands or no longer exists. Look also at the date the DZ listing was last updated.
Also do a search in the Forums for the DZ name. That tends to give you a better idea of what's going on there.