Cornholio

Rig Rentals in Hawaii?

I'll be going on my honeymoon to Hawaii (Kaua'i, Big Isle, then Oahu) in August and wanted to make a jump or two before we head back to the mainland. However I really don't want to bring my rig and carry it with me during our travels before we get to Oahu. I'll bring my helmet, camera, logbook, altis, and other accessories.

So... do either dropzones on the Dillingham (sp) field have gear rentals? Specifically something in the 180-200 sq/ft range? Shit, I'd fly a Manta if that's all there was available. :P Maybe I can borrow another jumpers gear while I am there. I dunno - looking for ideas.

Thanks!

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Dont know about Pacific Skydiving Center in Dillingham but the guys right next door, Skydive Hawaii, does have rig rentals, just not that much to choose from. I am 5'10" and about 200 and their biggest rig was, well any smaller and there is no way I could have jumped it. The canopy was a 220. But the harness was small. I would check with both places. You'll find something I am sure. If you are bigger than I, suggest you call ahead.

"I love 'lamp'."
-SKYMAMA

Rember both of the DZ are tandem mills. That is what they are set up to do. Don't expect them to have rental gear that is approperiate for you. It sucked but when I went there I carried my rig. My opinion is suck it up and carry your rig....
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

As someone who lived and jumped there for 3 years, Take your rig. I will be flying out there in October for my wedding and honeymoon and I will be carrying my rig with me. Have fun and enjoy the view.B|
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

My brother works at Skydive Hawaii.
They only do "fun jumps" on Wednesdays.
I would suggest taking your rig unless you want to do a tandem, or rent student gear.
The view is DEFINITELY worth it.
Sunset Hop N pops RULE!!!!!
my power is beyond your understanding.

was just on kauai and oahu 2 weeks ago but i didn't hit up the dz's. I didn't end up bringing my rig there and happy i didn't.
There is a little dz on kauai too but i'm sure it doesn't operate on fun jumpers and is probably done by reservation. if you are interested shoot me a PM and I'll try to find a # or email. I know skydive hawaii's plane had a engine problem (but that was a few weeks ago) - email them and find out. I'm not sure about Pacific skydiving since they didn't get back to my emails[:/] and didn't have time to call them.

Just a word though is that the mid and uppers (3kft+) were pretty fast the whole time i was there and it would get too windy in the afternoon to jump.
when we landed on oahu from the mainland, we went almost about a mile or so away from dillingham @ what look like 10k.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

was just on kauai and oahu 2 weeks ago but i didn't hit up the dz's. I didn't end up bringing my rig there and happy i didn't.
There is a little dz on kauai too but i'm sure it doesn't operate on fun jumpers and is probably done by reservation. if you are interested shoot me a PM and I'll try to find a # or email. I know skydive hawaii's plane had a engine problem (but that was a few weeks ago) - email them and find out. I'm not sure about Pacific skydiving since they didn't get back to my emails[:/] and didn't have time to call them.

Just a word though is that the mid and uppers (3kft+) were pretty fast the whole time i was there and it would get too windy in the afternoon to jump.
when we landed on oahu from the mainland, we went almost about a mile or so away from dillingham @ what look like 10k.

Define "too windy to jump". Cornholio jumps a lot at Byron. "Too windy" at Byron usually means 25-30+.

There is a little dz on kauai too but i'm sure it doesn't operate on fun jumpers and is probably done by reservation.

I'm definitely down for jumping in Kauai!

PM soon to follow.

Yeah, even though I do jump at Byron, it doesn't mean I have no limits to wind. If it's 30knots or more or the gusts are more than 10knots difference, then I ground myself.

Thanks for the info everyone. The Fiance is ok with me bringing my rig, so maybe I'll just watch it closely and bring it.

Well I found the number on their website (skydive Kauai) and called them up. I didn't even get to finish my sentence about being an experienced skydiver, when they told me "Sorry, tandem operations only."

Bummer. [:/]

"Sorry, tandem operations only."

[:/]\
yeah that sucks but kinda what i suspected. it's a shame too since it would be beautiful to jump there. Maybe you should call them back up and say you'll pay the tandem price and ask if they have a deal for the 2nd jump ;):D

suppose you could still do it if you want to be a tandem..:|

I just thought about taking one of those helicopter tours or a powered hangglider tour and accidently fall out with my rig over a certain area where i could land ;)

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

I was just in Oahu three weeks ago. I made a jump at the Pacific Coast Skydiving Center and used one of their rigs. they have a few different size containers and a couple of different mains--up into the 200 range. I ended up jumping a Sabre 170 (normally jump a Pilot 168). The quality of the gear isn't fantastic, but if you're like me and only wanted to get a jump in to experience a skydive over hawaii, then just rent what they have.

Put it this way...I don't know how long you're going to be in Hawaii, but we had two big suit caeses to carry us for 10 days. Plus we had scuba gear. Plus I had my laptop and a small bag of photography gear. Lugging all that around was a real pain. Now throw a rig and associated gear in the mix. Save yourself the hassle and rent if you're not planning on doing more than one or two jumps.

Also, when I was there Pacific Coast was the only one with a turbo prop. Skydive Hawaii was running a cesna and had a tandem line that would keep them busy all day with no room for fun jumpers. I was able to make arrangements with Pacific Coast prior to even showing up at the DZ to get in on the first load, and I was still able to make it a two way free-fly.

And I'm not sure about Skydive Hawaii (although they did recently --within last two weeks--have a fun jumper get seriouly hurt), but I had the owner of Pacific Coast personally brief and quiz me on winds/landing pattern. He made damn sure I knew where I was supposed be at each major point in my descent so as to avoid having to worry about outs or problems with getting blown around after turning on final. Not to say one DZ owner is more responsible than the other, but I'm just relaying my positive experience that I had with Pacific Coast.

Cheers!

I was just in Oahu three weeks ago. I made a jump at the Pacific Coast Skydiving Center and used one of their rigs. they have a few different size containers and a couple of different mains--up into the 200 range. I ended up jumping a Sabre 170 (normally jump a Pilot 168). The quality of the gear isn't fantastic, but if you're like me and only wanted to get a jump in to experience a skydive over hawaii, then just rent what they have.

Yeah, I do plan on just making a jump or two - just to say I've been there done that and hopefully get some cool video/pics while I'm in the air. Maybe I'll give them a call and see if they have something in my size before carrying all my shit out there. You hit the nail on the head about carrying stuff around for 10 days before getting to jump and I don't want to think about it too much.

Thanks!