meghankelly

HELP on SKYDIVING in CHINA!!

I am beginning an international marketing project and have to prepare a marketing plan to introduce a product/service to the country of China.

Because I may end up living there next year, I took it upon myself to find out if there is a dz there. From my initial research, I know there was a base jump demo in Shanghai a few years ago, but otherwise, no record of any dropzone or skydiving in China. For this project, as well as my own love of the sport, I am really interested in designing a dropzone for the country. I am wondering if this task has already been attempted and why it hasn't worked out yet (I know gov't regulations are strict, so maybe this is the reason).

If anyone has ANY information on the topic of skydiving in China, whether it be a link, a name, an opinion, or any other facts I can start with, I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks a ton!
~Blue Skies to all~

Somebody posted something about China, and their National team training a few months ago. It seems to have fallen into the abyss of the broken search function though. I even posted something on that thread so I could find it again later, but everything between 14 January and mid-May has evaporated from search results.

I leave for 6 months in central China on Monday (3 July) and I am desperate to find the information that was in that thread (which I wasn't able to find even with a page by page search through the forums). A couple of weeks ago I posted asking for help, but got no responses.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I've been there 3 times in the last 6 months and will be in Shanghai for 4 months later this year - from what I've seen there are no DZs in china. Thailand seems to be the place to go. I have to leave China every 30 days baed on my visa requirements so I just plan on a trip to Thialand

I'm so glad this thread came up - I'm going to China in November and was thinking it would be cool to jump there...guess not:(

If anyone gets anymore info., please be sure to post.

Thanx!
"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

Dear fellow skydiver,

From what I understand, HK used to have a drop zone running until HK was returned to China. I think the DZO then was Gary Lai. Now the expats either go to Thailand (Pattaya-www.extremesportscafe.com or www.skydivethailand.com or Prachuap-Thai Sky Festival) to jump or they will go to China on one of their organised trips (not sure where, which isn't very often). Please send me an email if you need a contact point and I will check with the local HK-China expat on whats happening with the jumping scene.
Danniel Lee - Singapore
"Life is full of choices, its what we make of it that really counts"

Thanks Danniel,

I followed up on your suggestions and found that there appears to be a skydiving operation in Anyang City, Henan Province. Looking at Google Earth it may be the peagravel pit at 36 07 55 N, 114 20 42 E.

I emailed the link at the the website but the email bounced due to a full mailbox. There is a phone number that I will try when I am in China.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Jeff,

Good to see there is something in China. I will also be leaving to work there sometime next year, probably central China for 5-12 months. Definately keep me informed on whatever you find out about this Aero Sports School. I am interested to see what kind of position the sport is in there.

I jumped at Anyang in 1991, at the World Cup of CRW that was held there. We had a great time, and the Chinese went out of their way to give us a great time.....but then they were under the direct orders of the central committee of the PRC.....

It is a military airfield, and at the time it was not possible for civilians to skydive in China....all the Chinese jumpers were military personnel.....

Things might have changed since then, I don't really know, but if experience back then is anything to go by, I doubt if its changed much at all.....

The problem with China is the fact that it is a bureaucratic nightmare trying to get anything done and even if you are a native speaker of Mandarin it will be almost impossible to make it happen....because of their system, no one will make a decision about anything, especially anything important, in case it comes back and bites them on the arse later.....as it often does...

As an example, at the end of the competition, we had a few days to spare, and a bunch of us wanted to go to Xian to see the buried army...about a 40 hour train trip all round....didn't have time for that....

One of the guys had the bright idea of hiring one of the AN2 jump planes from the airfield to fly us there......so we approached the General who ran the airfield, and asked him if it was possible....he said no.....(as we expected). We then flashed a big roll of US banknotes in front of his eyes (part of plan B), which lit up like a Xmas tree......

He was absolutely desperate to get his hands on the cash, it was easy to see that....he was wrestling hard with the problem, but declined our offer....

His planes only had jurisdiction to fly within a 5 mile radius of the airfield, unless he had orders from above to do so...if they went outside that zone, they risked being shot down by his neighboring general, who had orders to do so.....

Had that happened....he would have been up against the wall next.......

You might be able to find out about it if you can find the Chinese delegate to the IPC...at the time we were there it was a polite guy called Jimmy Chang, nice guy, who spoke flawless English, and I think who had some important political connections high up in the Chinese Govt, because he seemed to have a lot of power....he made things happen......

It was back in 1991, and I have no clue what has happened since, but it might be a starting point....

Good luck.....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I just got back from a year in China and was unable to find a dz on the mainland (or HK). I also tried to contact the dz in Henan a few times throughout the year, but never got an answer. The dz in Hong Kong closed a few years ago (possibly shortly after the handover), so your best bet is to go to Thailand. Tiger Airways flies out of Macau to Bangkok regularly and cheaply. And if you want tunnel time, SkyVenture is in KL and reasonably priced. Good luck!
DZ.com Gems:
1) In a two-out situation, anything you do or don't do can make the situation better or worse.
2) Remember: high performance canopies can give you not only high performance openings, bu