FlyingJarhead

Skydive Elsinore VS Skydive San Diego

If you are considering both of them, you may want to consider Skydive Perris also. It is close to elsinore. I just did my entire AFF coures last week with Perris and they are going to get me to my A license by the end of this weekend.

David

I wanted just to suggest it. I am in the Navy in China Lake. I bypassed the dropzone close by in California City after I went to Perris to get some wind tunnel training prior to AFF-1. It was worth it and so was the training at Perris. I stayed there most of the week, actualyl at March AFB. $21 a night for a hotel room, can't beat it.

Perris also has training packages that save you money to. Worked great for me with a week of leave. I expect to be back thsi weekend to finish up my A-license. All set u through the package I bought.

Good luck with your choice. I odn't know anything about the others you asked about.

David

They're all great dropzones; each has a different feel to them. Look each of them up in the dropzone database and read reviews. Do a search on the dropzone names - they've all been discussed many a time.

What it will come down to is where you feel most comfortable. If you have a chance, call and/or visit all three. Talk to the folks who run their training programs. Try to get a sense of the culture of each dropzone and whether it fits with your personality.

That's just some general thoughts ... I'll let the locals chime in with more specifics since I've only visited (and haven't had the opportunity to hit San Diego yet).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

>whats the best, the safest and the coolest?

"Best" is subjective. Perris is the best-equipped, San Diego is the prettiest. It's also the coolest (literally) in the summer. Better winds and far lower temps. Safest is a harder call. I know Perris and Elsinore are very safe places, and I suspect San Diego is as well - but I haven't been there since it changed ownership so I can't say that 100%.

SKYDIVE SAN DIEGO, hands down..that's my home dropzone. It has the most consistant winds, greatest ever instructors. The Best! I have been to Perris, it is WAY too crowded, for beginners anyway.

Skydive San Diego is excellent! Check it out:

http://www.skydivesandiego.com

For schools, I'd recommend Elsinore - and not just because it's my home DZ - but because the students there get far more personal attention.... it is a *big DZ* minus the cattle call.

The gear is relatively new - all student gear was replaced due to the fire 2 years ago.

The only down side - The weather is warming. The winds / air turbulence is very common. This will be at both Perris and Elsinore this time of year. So you'll have to be very patient and get your jumps done first thing in the morning or wait around until late evening.

If you want to avoid the warm weather and irregular air - go to San Diego. That would definitely be my second choice for school.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

san diego did just get all new gear, like billvon says.and it is very nice too. the AFF instructors are fantastic. some of the best. ask for patrick or nick. jenn the ground school instructor is great. what is great about them is they will not push you through the AFF course if your not doing what you should be doing.

(too bad brooke isnt there anymore. he was my favorite. He left with Andy, rightfully so. ):(

I live in Florida and have only jumped at Elsinore (which was great). My general observation though has been that as a student you will get more personalized attention at smaller "family type" dz's--this is only my observation and not a hard rule--
checking into the quality of the student gear is very prudent--
the issue regarding the winds is a very big consideration for a novice (and experienced jumpers, too) don't underestimate it--

MUFF #3384, DIRTY SANCHEZ #28(Chief Recruiting Officer), FALLING GATOR #7801-A, POPS #10957, FLYING HELLFISH #847, HISPAS #79, SRA #9229, Surfador Rodrigues

I live in Florida and have only jumped at Elsinore (which was great). My general observation though has been that as a student you will get more personalized attention at smaller "family type" dz's--this is only my observation and not a hard rule--

I agree with what you are saying to a point. I was tried to start my AFF at a different dropzone other than Perris. They had to call in an instructor that wasn't on the payroll, jsut volunteeered, which is ok, and the video guy. They also used the Cessna 206 which is a little harder to jump out of cause of the time to altitude and it jstu sucks to me.

So, the bigger dropzone worked better for me, especially becuase Perris has a structured program and plenty of instructors around each day. It was up to me how much I wanted to get done each day. Also, they are helping me with my A license progressino with a structured program. I bought a package deal which saved me 10% and gets me where I need to be with a lot of good training and support.

Both small and large dropzones have their good and bad points.

David

I've only jumped at San Diego but have been to all three. It really depends on what you want.

Smallest is San Diego, Elsinore in the middle, and Perris the largest. All three have great instructors (some of which have moved around to all three DZs). All three have safe gear from what I have observed and been told.

San Diego and Elisnore have a BEAUTIFUL views of the ocean/lake and moutains, etc. However, as a student I wasn't really concentrating on the view as much as saving my own ass ;)

Perris is awesome in that the tunnel is RIGHT there and the aircraft selection is beyond belief. However, I have no problem making the 1 hr. trek up to Perris for the tunnel when I need or want it.

Hit there websites, call them and see who leaves with the best and most welcoming impression.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

As a student I loved San Diego. The winds were always the same, so i never had to worry about the landing pattern, I could just focus on getting down safe. The instructors are great.

I agree; however, those winds can spoil you and make it VERY intimidating when you go to another DZ to jump and have to learn how to deal with REAL wind.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

I disagree, having learned at SDSD and moving across the country and going through alot of DZ's along the way I learned how to eat the carrot and set myself up the right way based on that and not just facing west for final. I took Wyat's canopy course and have learned alot from him, Diana and the rest of the instructors there plus a few people here and there on how to set myself up for success. If you don't limit yourself you will be fine. Yes SD is consistent which made it great for learning but it in no way hinders you from learning how to read approaches. I highly reccomend SDSD for learning to jump due to great instructors, nice reliable gear and a solid set of conditions. I got thru AFF in 1 week and had my A in 3 weeks (damn military giving me duty on the weekend) Set aside DZ politics and what occurred in the last few months I'd still say SDSD is a great place to learn to fly and can't wait to return to jump. I will however be stopping by Andy's new place in the desert. Now for the money part to fall into place.
"I've taken the liberty of drafting your confession, you will be given a fair trial and then taken out back and shot."