TheDoctor2608

Help save a life

Tell him that you won't jump with him if he does. Tell him that you'll tell everyone else not to jump with him. Tell him that it's okay if he wants to die, but it's not okay to take someone out with him. Tell him if he isn't good enough to land it other than straight in, he isn't good enough to be flying it with other people. Tell him that he has the right to auger himself in, he doesn't have the right to kill or injure others.

If none of that works, tell him you are going to tell his mother what he's doing. :D

All of the above. Also what kind of 150 and what wingloading ? If he is a a .9 to 1 on a triathalon I could see how he wants something sportier. He has no clue what a xf2 109 even is. If he's really lightly loaded you may want to let him even demo your safire for a jump. Also since it sounds like y'all were friends before skydiving then if he does make stupid choice you can always nut check him! But tell him to demo appropriate canopies for his skill and he might find something he likes.

skybytch

Tell him that you won't jump with him if he does. Tell him that you'll tell everyone else not to jump with him.

I am convinced that this is the solution.

Honestly you should not jump with him at his current wingloading.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Seriously, tell him to ask Alexa or Fleury or Dani Henschen or one of these people about their advice.

When I started riding my Maxi Puch, I also said I was soon going to ride a CBR1000
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

TheDoctor2608

Hey, this is a serious post. I got a friend, little bit less than 100 jumps whose square canopy size 150 isn't enough for him. His exit-weight is about 85kgs. He is seriously thinking about flying a crossfire 109, saying he would just land it in straight. Please help me to convince him of that being a stupid idea, i will send him the link to this post. Just don't want to see him in the statistics. Thx a lot guys for your support!

where does he jump? I would like to avoid that DZ since he obviously poses a threat to himself and others.

I started jumping about 20 months ago. Almost all of the seasoned jumpers at my DZ have had injuries that took them out of the sport for a while. Some of these were serious injuries and all of them were landing related. After hearing all of the stories I thought, “This not what I signed up for”. One day someone commented that I had no nickname. Someone else said, “We are waiting for him to screw up so we can give him an appropriate one”.

I might get hurt, even on the next jump. But my goal is to keep jumping. You can’t keep jumping if you are laid up. All of my skydiving decisions are weighted against what they will do to my chances to keep jumping. I have passed on some things that might have been “fun”. But I did so because I want to do all I can to keep jumping. Maybe that is the old fart in me.

Show your friend the wing loading chart. Ask him how important it is that he keeps jumping. Ask him how his canopy choice, regardless of how he plans to fly it, might affect his plans to keep jumping.

I am sure this young lady didn’t think she was in over her head. But somehow, something happened that stopped her from jumping.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4501604

Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

excaza

***All of the above. Also what kind of 150 and what wingloading ? If he is a a .9 to 1 on a triathalon I could see how he wants something sportier.

Exit weight of 85 kilograms is ~ 187 pounds.
Ahhh. Yeah, don't let jump your rig. Id tell anyone and everyone especially the people with authority if he decides he's to buy one!

dthames

I started jumping about 20 months ago. Almost all of the seasoned jumpers at my DZ have had injuries that took them out of the sport for a while. Some of these were serious injuries and all of them were landing related. After hearing all of the stories I thought, “This not what I signed up for”. One day someone commented that I had no nickname. Someone else said, “We are waiting for him to screw up so we can give him an appropriate one”.

I'm with you on this. I would like to keep on jumping as long as I can.

But someone had the nerve to say "we are waiting for him to screw up" right in front of you. Sorry to say but what a bunch of dicks..i get the same one's that said that to you are the same one's that only freefly, only freefly with the "cool" kids, and swoop...just saying.. B|

But my goal is to keep jumping. You can’t keep jumping if you are laid up. All of my skydiving decisions are weighted against what they will do to my chances to keep jumping. I have passed on some things that might have been “fun”. But I did so because I want to do all I can to keep jumping. Maybe that is the old fart in me.

That's not 'old fart' that's OLD SMART! B|

The first 1/4 of my jumping 'career' I played it fast & loose until I saw what doing that did to friends...people that had more skill than me, but not as much luck I guess.

Seeing first hand what a broken body does to your life ~ 'long term' convinced me to take another approach...LONG term as in I'm not just talking a layoff from Skydiving, ~ ~ ~ job problem$, living comforts, lifetime aches & pains... on & on.

And for what...20 seconds of shits & giggles on a saturday afternoon?

I love Skydiving...but I also love a lot of other things in my life, to get to enjoy them ALL, moderation in each is an important consideration.

I've been hurt skydiving but never injured...I've always been able to make the next load, sore maybe but ready. As far as I'm concerned it's a marathon not a sprint, the goal is to reach the end tired, but none the worse for wear.

To DO that takes both a strong body and an open mind, set a reasonable pace and stick to it.

..I've NEVER seen a friend in the hospital tell me 'pushing it' was worth it, and I've sat supportive in quite a few hospital rooms in the past 39 years.

The family survivors of friends taken by the sport tend to give a whole different perspective of the cost/benefit...in 'their' real world.

If one doesn't give some consideration to the true 'cost' of their choices in the big picture...they live in a fantasy world.

Nice place to be, until reality puts a boot in your ass. :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Might have been said already and I'm by no means an expert compared to the majority of the jumpers on here but I always remember something that was said to me by a highly experienced jumper.

"If you don't think you could land it in the worst possible conditions, you shouldn't jump it."

I've had the same Sabre2 190 for a while now with absolutely no intention of downsizing anytime soon (not for lack of desire to fly a small canopy by the way) Thanks Lee (The ninja)B|

Trail mix? Oh, you mean M&M's with obstacles.

"If you don't think you could land it in the worst possible conditions, you shouldn't jump it."

That Sir is a very good statement!

i ask simular question regarding reserves when they really want a small one than advisable.
how do you reckon you fair out if you are unconsious for some reason,do you reckon this will get you down safely with no input?

irishrigger

That Sir is a very good statement!

i ask simular question regarding reserves when they really want a small one than advisable.
how do you reckon you fair out if you are unconsious for some reason,do you reckon this will get you down safely with no input?

Yup...think a no-flare, limp landing, downwind on a blacktop parking lot.

To the guy with an AAD in case he gets knocked out - using a snotrag size reserve....ummm - HUH?! :S

>"If you don't think you could land it in the worst possible conditions, you shouldn't jump it."

Yep. I can remember about a year after I got my first Crossfire (a Crossfire 1 99, yes Crossfire 1's did exist!) I followed someone's canopy down after they cut away. This was somewhat stupid in my part because I was loading this canopy over 2:1, and the landing area was bad. Didn't think about this until I was committed to landing out on a no-wind day. Bad news is I managed to injure myself (sprained ankle) - good news is that Claude was there 30 seconds later in the truck to pick up the canopy and so I got a ride back.

Second story:

I was up in Alaska for the boogie and got a brand new tiny something or other (Xaos?) for a demo. The winds were steady, it was cool out, we were near sea level, I was very current - a perfect time to try a new canopy!

I was waiting to load the plane when the pilot landed and shut down. He was too tired to fly any more. "But it's not even sunset yet and this is a boogie!" I complained. "It's 10 PM and I'm going home to sleep" he said. Fair point.

Didn't think about the canopy until I was on the first load the next morning which was the Alaska state record. One of the pilots asked if I could get out on the step and 'get big' to act as a speedbrake so he could stay in formation with the slower plane. (This is a warning sign that the formation is not going to work out well, BTW.)

We took off and I realized that I had the tiny demo still in my rig. But it was still cool out at least. The formation exited, it didn't work, and I found myself over the outskirts of Wrangell, Alaska, specifically over a big empty field that looked fine - until I realized the grass was close to eight feet high. And there was no wind. I landed in a snarl of seeds and grass stalks that took hours to pick out of my jumpsuit and canopy. Fortunately no injury.

Moral of the story - Landing in bad conditions WILL happen to you, and if that's going to put you in the hospital, reconsider your canopy choice before you find yourself trying to land in such conditions.

TheDoctor2608

Thanks, you guys helpeda lot! He never said about buying that canopy, just demoing, which i still think is a really really stupid idea. He let luckily go of that idea in the meantime thx to you :-)

So, who let him demo a canopy out of his experience range?
[:/]
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

GooniesKid

***I started jumping about 20 months ago. Almost all of the seasoned jumpers at my DZ have had injuries that took them out of the sport for a while. Some of these were serious injuries and all of them were landing related. After hearing all of the stories I thought, “This not what I signed up for”. One day someone commented that I had no nickname. Someone else said, “We are waiting for him to screw up so we can give him an appropriate one”.

But someone had the nerve to say "we are waiting for him to screw up" right in front of you. Sorry to say but what a bunch of dicks.....

I don't think it was meant as, "screw up and get hurt", but more of "screw up somehow, so we can tease you"......but screw ups often do hurt.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

dthames

******I started jumping about 20 months ago. Almost all of the seasoned jumpers at my DZ have had injuries that took them out of the sport for a while. Some of these were serious injuries and all of them were landing related. After hearing all of the stories I thought, “This not what I signed up for”. One day someone commented that I had no nickname. Someone else said, “We are waiting for him to screw up so we can give him an appropriate one”.

But someone had the nerve to say "we are waiting for him to screw up" right in front of you. Sorry to say but what a bunch of dicks.....

I don't think it was meant as, "screw up and get hurt", but more of "screw up somehow, so we can tease you"......but screw ups often do hurt.

Considering your ultra-scientific approach to the sport - I hereby dub thee "GIZMO" :P

...now buy me a beer or I'll make it STICK! :ph34r: