bmoore21184

WFFC or Skyfest

I think the WFFC also had a great vibe. They went threw a trial and error stage when bernice wasnt there but i cought word from the upper orginizer and there are going to be 3 special aircraft rolling in for 3 days that no1 can get anywhere else. WFFC free beer, hang with old friends, live music swoop contest, and o yea free beer. I vote WFFC all the way.

Wow... thanks for all the great info. After all this, I think I am just going to go to Skyfest. I am amazed at how much Skyfest is going to have and I dont see the benefit of spending 400 bucks just to get to the WFFC. Considering I am not a very experienced jumper, dont know a lot of people to meet up with at WFFC, and that Skyfest will be just an hour from my house, it sounds like Skyfest has everything I want and more.

I still hope to get out to WFFC at some point, but it is not looking like it will be this year.

Thanks for the great info and see yal out there at Skyfest

B Moore

'Turbulence is a bitch'

This could have been a great thread until it was ruined but what seems to be people affiliated with each boogie putting each boogie down and going on about whos landing area is safer.

Anyway, there are a group of 10 of us from the UK and new zealand that are wanting to meet up at the WFFC, but we could be pulled towards skyfest,
Someone is saying that there is 3 special aircrafts rolling up for a few days. Can someone tell us what these aircrafts are or at least what dates they are coming. You see we are tossing up between flights to chicago on the 18th, or 21st or 23rd.
I don want to know who is better or anything, i just want to know what or when these three special aircraft are rolling up.

I got to admit, there does not seem to be much excitment about the WFFC on the forums this year it seems to be that spaceland is the talk of this year, makes me wonder if the WFFC will even pull 1000 people this year. We are all from NZ and uk and after Eloy want to go to the biggest boogie we can find as Eloy really blew our minds away at xmas and we want to go where this can be topped. Saying that though, i am starting to sense that Eloy can not be topped by either boogie.

Am i wrong?
These three planes that might roll in, if you can tell me what they are, willl they blow our minds out of our big toes or not?
I would love to see a blimp or a stretch hurcules.

Is there a list of the people attending the WFFC?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

The surprise aircraft thing is usually a product of not knowing if they are going to show up.Any intelligent organizer or promoter would want everyone to know what was going to be there so people could make an informed decision on where they might want to go.If you were throwing a music festival with a bunch of small named bands wouldn't you want everyone to know if you had worked out a big name to be there also.

Considering I am not a very experienced jumper, dont know a lot of people to meet up with at WFFC, and that Skyfest will be just an hour from my house, it sounds like Skyfest has everything I want and more.

...I had only 30somethin jumps when I went to my 1st skyfest (04). I posted this to someone last year but now, I shal repost it to you. It's from a post I made after Skyfest '04 (italic part). It seriously has one of the coolest vibes, and you will love it. I promise. :)

(4-07-05)Okay now. Since there is a trend going of the positive outcome of Skyfest..I would like to share a little story. Last year was my 1st year to attend (being it was held at my home DZ) Not only did I win the skydiving scholarship award for FF'ing at Spaceland....But I had such an amazing thing happen. This is what skyfest is about, to the T. This is pulled from a post I made last year after skyfest.

(09-16-04)Deva by far. Badass flyer, and also a kick ass gal! Came up to me out of the blue at Skyfest and took me on a chicky tracking dive (Presecond tracking dive!). I had honestly gotten a little 'down' because of all the fun things going on that I didn't feel I could do because of my low jump numbers / experience. I was watching everyone do all these fun jumps, and jumping out of helicopters, etc, and I couldn't. Was a little depressing. SO yeah, I Just really appreciated her reaching out to a new comer whom she didn't know. I told her when she approached me that I would love to, but I only had 39 jumps and I had never been on a tracking dive. She said, "That's okay, we'll focus the jump on you." SHe gave me a few pointers in the packing room and I really learned a lot from her! Then myself, deva, & megster went on our sunset tracking dive. I just thought it was really amazing that someone whom didn't even know me would go jump with me knowing I couldn't do anything really advanced, and we still had an amazing time! THANKS AGAIN GIRL!

It made such an impact on me....I will NEVER forget that one jump...and those words "This is your jump"

What's really cool is that she showed up out of the blue to the RoamingDZ.com St. Patricks Day boogie in '05. I had been asking her if she was going to make it, and she didn't think she'd be able to. Me and Cowden are hanging out and what happens? She walks right by and I just started smiling and we gave each other a big hug. Hadn't seen her since Skyfest '04, only shared 1 jump with her..but that's the cool part about it. You will leave the boogie with amazing new friends, awesome memories, badass jumps, a perma-grin, and probably one hell of a hang over, but you'll be aight ;)

See you there :)

Speaking of, DEVA!!!!!!!!!!!! GET YOUR ASS TO SKYFEST '06!!!! I still owe you that jump ;)

Just how you have posted has made me not want to go to WFFC. You can not boost your event by degrading others event. ALL boogies have pros and cons. To ignore your cons and post only anothers cons is bad marketing.

Chris hosts Dublin every year. It has been by far the best organized boogie I have seen thus far. What makes it the best in my opinion? It was drama free in the organizing. Never has Chris bad talked a DZ to try to get others to come to his event IN FACT Chris when asked the difference between Dublin and going to the Muff Brothers reunion would tell people that he loves zhills and wouldnt want to take their reunion away by having all the muff brothers at his event. In return what happened? His boogie GREW, local DZs shut down operations and brought people to the event. I feel the same respect for Jay. Although I do not know him as well, this event is his baby and he is not boosting his attendence by nitpicking and insulting everything about the "other" event.

So my conclusion

if ya want drama go to WFFC, if ya want a respectable and professional staff go to Dublin and Skyfest.

And yes it is to soon to be talking about Dublin 07 but its the only boogie that is planned that far ahead because it was so great. Skyfest I hope will hold that for me as well esp since its in my neck of the woods now. KNowing Jamie and Jay I assume it will be this way.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Any intelligent organizer or promoter would want everyone to know what was going to be there so people could make an informed decision on where they might want to go.

Several years ago when the 'last' jet was to arrive at the WFFC, we all got burned - organizers and me as the webmaster. I had a copy of the letter in hand (on letterhead) where the jet owner was coming. The day before it was showing, they backed out due to their insurer backing out - I also have a copy of this letter that was posted on the freefall website as well. The FSDO had already signed off on the paperwork so the plane was good to go.
Now, 3 planes in the works is 3 planes in the works. If the FSDO doesn't sign off on them, they won't be there. If the insurer backs out, the planes possibly won't be there unless the operator will fly it without insurance and if the insurer won't drop them since they're dropping jumpers.
I'm actually kind of glad that they're still using the don't tell till it's confirmed so we don't get burned (again) rule on the planes. Even with firm commitments though doesn't mean that they will show though.
All boogies with 'non-standard' aircraft will run into this problem at times. It just hit the WFFC hard a several times in a row in recent history
Pick your boogie and go ~ besides, the one you're at is going to be the best one, right?
------
Michael

I didn't mean to start a pissing contest.We could debate about the jet issue for days.There are I think 3 years that it was supposed to be there.

I just think people are growing tired of the "we might have a surprise" way of promoting.I would much rather be told what the surprise is and that all of the red tape is not cut yet.

I just think people are growing tired of the "we might have a surprise" way of promoting.I would much rather be told what the surprise is and that all of the red tape is not cut yet.

I couldn't agree more with you, Chris. That's why we have "pending" listed to the aircraft we haven't secured 100% for whatever reason(s).

First of all..

THANK YOU ALL!!!! THIS MEANS EVERYONE.

I remember when we started SF six years ago thinking wouldn't a mini Quincy be cool.

Hey Jay, thanks for the nice words about the WFFC!
I have always enjoyed talking with and spending time with you. I was hoping that our date change would allow Streaker and me to enjoy more boogies, but alas, I'll be playing the part of the circus elephant putting up tents in Rantoul while you are enjoying the blues skies of Texas! But I swear, one of these days we're coming to visit you!

In answer to the "what are the cool rides?" I would love to be able to say what we are working on, but again, after having been burned by confirmed aircraft not showing, we are being VERY careful with our plans. We will continue to pursue various aircraft up to the last FRIDAY of the event!
Understand tho, that we have been know to be approached by a plane owner as late as the first day of our event, and managed to bring cool new jumpships at the last minute, many years running. Hence things like Fat Annie, The Sikorsky, the Family Channel Blimp, the C 130, the list goes on and on..
Well, numbers at the WFFC are not what they used to be. Numbers in Skydiving are not what they used to be. This was a subject just covered by the USPA in the last months Parachutist. But a word about the WFFC numbers in general.
We have had a shift in the way we must tally our "skydiver" numbers. Used to be, if you walked thru the door, and were going to jump, you were tallied as a "skydiver". Since moving to Rantoul, we pay a tax on PAID skydivers. So those of you who pay your 49 bucks to come, are paying the first TEN to Rantoul for use of the property. However, the 100 Load Organizers who come thru the door do not pay to come to the WFFC. We invite them to come and provide a free service to our skydivers, so we do not have to pay the tax on them, or others who are on our staff. The published number that you see is the number that we pay the tax on. The actual number of skydivers is higher, by the number of staff, vendors and Load Organizers. I hesitate to mention this, because I sure as heck don't want the citizens of Rantoul to think we are trying to rook them out of anything, when in reality, it's very costly to provide the sheer number of staff members you see.
All in all, I would say that there are some really cool new Boogies out there, and one heck of a lot of great old boogies, too! I loved the Mardi Gras boogie! Met some great new/old friends at Richmond, had a terrific time at Pumpking Chunking.
Streaker and I are considering early retirement, to just be able to spend a year following the boogie scene, all over the country.
If I could, I would attend them all, and yes, I'd help at any dz if an extra hand was needed. No one knows how to unplug a toilet like me!!
No need to fight, just come to them all! See you there!

skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

So my conclusion

if ya want drama go to WFFC, if ya want a respectable and professional staff go to Dublin and Skyfest.

And yes it is to soon to be talking about Dublin 07 but its the only boogie that is planned that far ahead because it was so great. Skyfest I hope will hold that for me as well esp since its in my neck of the woods now. KNowing Jamie and Jay I assume it will be this way.

I guess I would encourage you to actually go to all the large boogies before quantifying statements like that.
Just my .02

I have been to many boogies, and each has its own personality and charm, and for this reason I have never said that one is better than the other.
My experience may not be the same as someone else's experience and it IS their experience after all. In the end, try as many as you can afford to, and enjoy each for what experience it brings to you.
Everyone else's opinion is just that...their opinion just as it is their experience.
Get out there and skydive and leave drama to the soaps.;)

if ya want a respectable and professional staff go to Dublin and Skyfest.

I've been on both the SkyFest and the WFFC staff. I've always thought of myself as a respectable and professional LO[:/]

As Betsy said, I've been to tons of boogies. Each one offers some thing different. You have to go to each one and experience and draw your own conclusion.

I think with the price of fuel now a days, each boogie out there might see a drop or a peak in attendance depending on where they are located. IMO, jumpers are going to decide where to go by how much it's going to cost them to get there.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I've been on both the SkyFest and the WFFC staff. I've always thought of myself as a respectable and professional LO[:/]

Heck yeah! I'm very grateful to the LOs at the WFFC. You guys made my first real boogie one of the most memorable experiences in skydiving for me! :)
That being said, I can't tell you which boogie to go to. Skyfest sounds like fun, though! My guess is that you'll have a fantastic time no matter where you go.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I also wanted to comment on the LO`s at Rantoul. I showed up 2 years ago to my first :D WFFC with exactly 50 Jumps. Just enough to get into the door.

The Organizers/Coaches that were at the Newbie tent were Fantastic. I walked into that tent not knowing anyone.. Told them I had 50 jumps and was looking for someone to jump with. Got some of the best coaching I have ever received there and was doing 4 way and turning points on the hill (OK.. Maybe they were flying me like a cheap Kite!!;)) in no time at all. All this cost me was MY jump ticket. Those first couple Jumps at Rantoul 2 years ago will always be a couple of my favorites. The Student Landing area is Huge and not crowded. Rantoul has a lot to offer newer jumpers too. Free organizing and coaching of this caliber is hard to find now adays. Young jumpers should take advantage of this. The skies are no where near as crowded there as I had heard.

It seems to be in vogue now to bash the WFFC. Not all of it is justified. It is still the WORLD Freefall Convention and it is still the Biggest Boogie around. Some of the changes they made between the first year I went and last year were not for the better in opinion (Namely moving the main Bar outside the entertainment tent. No-one could see it and it also made the tent look empty so no one hung around. Kinda killed a lot of the Party that WFFC is so known for). A lot of complaints were posted and it appears they are responding. The main complaint was the high registration Fee.. they lowered it. Hopefully they will also bring back the Official DVD, Put the Bar back in the Entertainment tent. Lower vendor Registration fees and bring in the BIG birds. There is nothing like being at Rantoul.

Both are truly great events that I hope everyone gets a chance to experience at some time.

I also love Skyfest. J and Jamie and the other organizers pour their heart and soul into that event and it shows. (Just don’t wait till Saturday afternoon to try to get your SCR.. It don’t always work!!:P). Skyfest is a different kind of event. The focus seems to be 100% on giving back to the sport. It is a truly great cause and a great time.

I hope I can find a way to make both this year.

I think with the price of fuel now a days, each boogie out there might see a drop or a peak in attendance depending on where they are located. IMO, jumpers are going to decide where to go by how much it's going to cost them to get there.

And that's why I have not been to WFFC ever, but I've been to every Skyfest since it was at Dallas and it was a memorial for Jerry...wait, missed the one in 2003, forgot about that one. Anyways, the point is I can go to a really cool boogie with lots of people and fun on a tank of gas or I can spending about $500 round trip on gas alone...or similar on airfare.

That's $500 I could spend on jumps or beer or both.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Both events have their faults and good points. I know some posters on here haven't been to either one yet are giving their 2 cents. At the end of the day both boogies are great in different ways. The only thing i didnt like at the WFFC was the on tap beer...lol Answer i bought my own.lol
If you haven't been to either try both and experience 1st hand for yourself. Don't listen to the 100 jump wonders who have not been to either boogie:)
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

There are I think 3 years that it was supposed to be there.

In reality, only one. The other two years that I was involved with that three letter word was never mentioned by staff - I did have people call me and tell me they heard from so and so that the jet would be there and asked when I was going to put it up. Simple answer was when I had a letter in hand from the operator stating they'd be there. That letter never came.
I agree, it's a pissing match. I'm not involved with the WFFC anymore and not defending them in any way. Just want to make sure it's known that the facts were straight and current on my watch.
------
Michael

I couldn't agree more with you, Chris. That's why we have "pending" listed to the aircraft we haven't secured 100% for whatever reason(s).

The WFFC tried that. People took 'not yet confirmed but we're working on it' as 'it'll be there'.
------
Michael

Yeah, you damn LO you. Shaking my tent at an ungodly hour in the morning and making me get on the dirtybird load. ;)

Pick a boogie and go all. You'll like some, you'll hate others. it's all about your own personal experience that makes it memorable.
------
Michael