Saturn27

Skydiving near Heidelberg Germany?

I am visiting Heidelberg, Germany for one month from the U.S, and I am looking for a dropzone to jump at - one that is easily accessible for someone without a vehicle. It looks like there is a place in Bruchsal. Any regular jumpers in heidelberg drive up there that I could hitch a ride from or what is the best way to get there? I have 500 jumps and mostly do RW (was on a four way team last year), so I am also looking for some folks to jump with. Please respond to this or send me an email at [email protected].

Cheers,

Jen

I used to jump with the Karlsruhe Fallschirms Verein (Karlsruhe Parachute Club) at Schweighofen (sp?), a half hour west of Karlruhe.
Try tp contact American military personnel - based in Heidelberg and Ramstein. Ask them where they jump, etc.
About one weekend per month, I drove down to Strassbourg, France and jumped out of their red Pilatus Porter.
I also did a couple of jumps off the Kickertalle Bruche (bridge across the Kockertalle River) 40 minutes East of Heidelberg. Unfortunately, the last time I drove across that bridge, they had erected a large anti-suicide fence.
Most European manifestors will insist on seeing your license, logbook, reserve card, USPA membership and insurance card.
P.S. Pay up your medical insurance before heading for Europe and carry proof when you visit European DZs.

Damn! Going to Heidleburg? Lucky you...

Hey...need a chauffer...maybe a personal valet?

You gotta visit old town and the castle...I don't remember when the burning of the castle is celebrated but it's party time then! I just looked it up here...
http://www.e-heidelberg.com/events/events.html
Several days in the summer.

Oh and one more hint...try to speak German to the natives...no matter how bad it is, they really appreciate the effort.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Damn! Going to Heidleburg? Lucky you...

Hey...need a chauffer...maybe a personal valet?

You gotta visit old town and the castle...I don't remember when the burning of the castle is celebrated but it's party time then! I just looked it up here...
http://www.e-heidelberg.com/events/events.html
Several days in the summer.

Oh and one more hint...try to speak German to the natives...no matter how bad it is, they really appreciate the effort.

I would say that the language thing will be appreciated pretty much everywhere...as to Heidelberg, they'll think - woa, you actually are not the run of the mill tourist! I've been to Heidelberg several times and I've seen t-shirts (IN ENGLISH) that say, "I'm not a tourist! I live here!"

I've jumped at both Bruchsal and Schweighofen and either is a good choice. You are within a reasonable drive of Strasbourg also if you want to cross the river and jump in France. Do a google as that's the best way to get current DZ information in europe while traveling and connect with locals if you don't know people in the areas, at least in my experience.

Merkur...calling Merkur... ;)

Off the top of my head...

Gelnhausen (in the vicinity of Frankfurt).

There's another site that the Stuttgart Outdoor Rec used to do their jumps at, was between Heilbron and Nuernburg. I forget the name, though. Schwabisch Hall, maybe?

You can get to quite a lot of places via train in Germany
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Closest one w/o a doubt is Aero-Club Walldorf, http://www.aeroclub-walldorf.de/home/home.htm.

You can ride the bus (HSB) or S-Bahn to Walldorf. Go to the web page, e-mail one of the contacts and I am sure someone will pick you up at the bus stop/ station the first time: http://www.aeroclub-walldorf.de/kontakt/kontakt.htm.

First off, what's with the Richard Simmons!! :)

Secondly, off course I got permission. ;)

I jumped at FSC - Bruchsal this weekend, and it was great! The people were very friendly, and the countryside was very nice. Watch out for the sheep though! :)

Actually Heidelberg is in a region with quite a lot of Dropzones:

There ist Bruchsal (Pilatus Porter), Walldorf (C182) and FSC Mannheim (Porter) and within a good hour driving distance also Schlierstadt / Southside Base (Porter ervey weekend).

I've been to all of them but Bruchsal and although they are quite different I like all of them!

Walldorf - Small one with C182, but operating every weekend and with a small and tight (but opoen) community.

FSC Mannheim - my Home-Dropzone, porter on every second-weekend, and C182 in between. (be sure to check the calender)

Southside Base: Commercial Dropozone, but same feeling like at a club, POorter every weekend, jumping on Fridays and good infrastructure with hangar etc.

So have fun!