jumpslo

DZ - Lompoc, Taft, Hollister, CA

MB - does Hollister's pay up front get you 7 AFF jumps, or 1 jump at 7 levels? SMB had the same sort of deal - 10 tickets or a repeat level, but you couldn't use the L7 until you passed L6. After my experiences with that, I wouldn't recommend prepaying. You're committed to that DZ for the duration of AFF.

Trying to be a "free agent" during your student progression isn't really in your best interest either. It can end up costing you more down the line as well.

Every dropzone is unique in terms of landing area, gear, aircraft, and instructional program. Switching DZ's can often entail refresher training and/or repeating a level. You are more likely to be given some leniency about repeating a level if the dropzone knows that you are committed to them. Not just for economic reasons, it's just more safe over all. I'll pass a student who's struggling if I know that I can oversee their progression or modify the objectives of a subsequent level. If a student shows up at my DZ with any "special needs" in the log book, I'm more likely to do some refresher training and repeat the last level.

Becoming a safe canopy pilot is the single most important skill to develop early on. One of the worst things you could do is change to an unfamiliar landing area with barely a handful of jumps. In addition to the added concern under canopy, the added mental exertion of figuring out a new landing area and pattern with different obstacles and outs can only hurt your performance in freefall.

What you say is true for a good DZ, measured by the DZO, the weather, and the suitability of the place for the given person. Unfortunately, a perspective student lacks the info to know in advance. I'm not suggesting one go 'free agent,' just have the ability to make a change if it seems for the best.

I got torched with an extremely expensive AFF process. Some was me, and some was certainly not.

I know at least a few DZs that sell the AFF package are basically giving a break for committing to 7 jumps, but don't fix it to 7 levels. Someone that fails L4 a couple times doesn't shell out $320 more on top of the $1300, not until they get to the 8th jump. Seems much fairer to both parties.