jumpslo

DZ - Lompoc, Taft, Hollister, CA

Lompoc, Taft, and Hollister DZs

My friend and I are starting our AFF this summer and I was wondering if any of you had been to these DZ's in Cali and if so how are they? I have heard that Lompoc can get windy a lot because it's close to the coast and the landing area isn't the biggest. Lompoc is an hour away and Taft and Hollister are about 2 hours. Let me know if you ever been. Thanks!

"Good rule of thumb; is what you are doing the EASIEST for You? Because if it is, it ain't going to work for the people around you."

I'm in So Cal and have been to Lompoc, Perris and California City. I chose Cal City to do my AFF.
They are dedicated to education and safety and the atmosphere and facilities rock!
Lompoc is where I have spent many hours waiting to jump. Spent the night, and still didn't jump.
The view is awesome if you can get up into the sky.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I was at Lompoc and Taft. I would recommend Taft for your AFF (that is where I finished mine). The instructors are great and take their time to teach you all the stuff you need to know. The landing area is huge by Lompoc standards (not counting the river bed) and not often windy. Also unlike Lompoc you dont have to give anybody your credit card number before you even show up to take a lesson. If you want more info PM me or even better call them and talk to Dave the DZO.;)
Pointy birds
Oh pointy pointy
Anoint my head
Anointy nointy

Awesome. Thanks. Yeah, i have been hearing that Lompoc is very tandom oriented and not the best place for AFF. Also heard it got windy and i was a beach guard last summer and it was blown out almost everyday. I'll give Taft a call thanks again.

"Good rule of thumb; is what you are doing the EASIEST for You? Because if it is, it ain't going to work for the people around you."

At the very least, consider visiting Lompoc once you have your License. I don't think the landing area is THAT small and they have a nice friendly staff there. They have a Caravan now and there are usually plenty of up jumpers, so don't worry about it being a tandem factory...that's more in the past.

I completed my AFF at Hollister and would highly recommend it. While there is a van ride back from the landing area it is actually a great time for you to discuss your jump with your instructors. I did some AFF jumps at another DZ and did not feel like I got the same amount of attention. Hope to see you around.

Alright cool. I will give Hollister a call too. They are both about the same distance from where I am. Do you go there a lot?

Alright cool. I will give Hollister a call too. They are both about the same distance from where I am. Do you go there a lot?

*giggle giggle* Beth jump a lot? :P

I agree with Beth. I completed AFF at H-Town as well. Nice large landing area, winds aren't too strong/gusty, thorough debrief in the van ride, nice vibe after sunset. Even though I jump around the entire area, I still consider Hollister as my home DZ.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Hollister is thorough as anything with AFF, i did a tandem and AFF 1 there, go back every chance i get. really friendly to fun jumpers as well, HIGHLY recommend it! Tell cliff (if he is there) Aviva, Tom and the crew Brett & Boobs sent you!
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

HA! brett and boobs. If i'm up there i will be sure to tell him that. I can't wait! I am trying to raise enough money to be able to start this summer. right now i'm hooked on this forum and videos.

I completed my AFF at Hollister and would highly recommend it. While there is a van ride back from the landing area it is actually a great time for you to discuss your jump with your instructors. I did some AFF jumps at another DZ and did not feel like I got the same amount of attention. Hope to see you around.

Hollister also jumps from at least 15,000 ft agl and has a rocket ship of a jump plane that will get you there faster than any super otter to 13,500.

Plus the largest unobstructed landing area I've ever seen with the nicest weather in northern cal and consistently low winds generally from the same direction.

Plus the largest unobstructed landing area I've ever seen with the nicest weather in northern cal and consistently low winds generally from the same direction.

------------------------------------------------------------

Just dont track for the wrong end of that large field, its a LONG walk to the other endB|:P

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

I don't like the 2 hour drive aspect (killed me too), but I've personally never seen Hollister on a wind hold, unlike the place I was going to. And the instruction is good, the van ride guarantees a good debrief rather than see the instructor run off to a back to back (or if your day really sucks, a back to back to back). In that world, I'd wait a couple hours just to see if I was moving on to the next level, and I couldn't manifest until then, giving the wind plenty of time to build up and ground me.

Yeah. It seems that Hollister has a lot going for it. Big landing area, good instructors and good debreif. but why is it $250 more than Taft or Lompoc for AFF? Seems a little expensive.

Yeah. It seems that Hollister has a lot going for it. Big landing area, good instructors and good debreif. but why is it $250 more than Taft or Lompoc for AFF? Seems a little expensive.

It's the Bay Area - nothing is cheap, with the exception of Lodi on the very outer rim. There though the student instruction is done on weekdays. Weekends are all about the $100 tandems.

It does offer 15-16k as the normal exit altitude and a good view.

The Bay Area can be more expensive. Hollister offers a deal that if you pay for the entire AFF program up front, they will include 10 jump tickets once you graduate. That was one thing that helped me make my mind as to where I did AFF. As long as the weather is good, I'll be jumping there this weekend. It's been a few weeks and I'm really jonesing to get in the air.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Thats sounds pretty sweet. 10 free jumps will help towards a license so thats always good. I'm tryin to sell a bunch of stuff on ebay and i'll be working 3 jobs this summer. I am going to school so hopefully i'll have enough to start AFF at least! ha i am amped to watch the videos and be on this forum, but i get down when i think about the $$ aspect.

Lodi on the very outer rim. There though the student instruction is done on weekdays.

Though unassociated with Lodi's student program, I run my private USPA instruction program there any day of the week.
Plenty of students jump during the weekend. ;)

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Though unassociated with Lodi's student program, I run my private USPA instruction program there any day of the week.

Yup! probably going to take that this summer. thanks for contacting me ed

Me and a few pal's live in Paso Robles and I know someone else who lives in Los Osos and we all jump at Taft, your welcome to catch a ride with us. We jump mostly on Sunday's. Like everyone else has said, Lompoc has great instructors, a great view, good planes, but the main landing area and the weather are not very helpful for getting through AFF. I did my whole AFF in 1 weekend at Taft and even was able to make my 1st solo. That's nearly impossible at Hollister and absolutely impossible at Lompoc, plus we have a Super Otter now ;).

I did my whole AFF in 1 weekend at Taft and even was able to make my 1st solo. That's nearly impossible at Hollister and absolutely impossible at Lompoc, plus we have a Super Otter now ;).

that's nearly impossible anywhere - the student is the limiting factor. I certainly wasn't good for more than 2 jumps in the day. (nevermind the passing aspect)

Lodi on the very outer rim. There though the student instruction is done on weekdays.

I guessed as much, but knew you could speak to your end. The DZ's $1000 program entails two weekdays, so for many people isn't really worth the $300 discount.

MB - does Hollister's pay up front get you 7 AFF jumps, or 1 jump at 7 levels? SMB had the same sort of deal - 10 tickets or a repeat level, but you couldn't use the L7 until you passed L6. After my experiences with that, I wouldn't recommend prepaying. You're committed to that DZ for the duration of AFF.

Me and a few pal's live in Paso Robles and I know someone else who lives in Los Osos and we all jump at Taft, your welcome to catch a ride with us. We jump mostly on Sunday's.

Yeah sounds great, I will definitely start going to Taft. I am getting my AFF over the summer and then I will work on my license down here. Thanks