Mostly_Harmless

Weekday Jumping: X-keys v The Ranch

Anecdotal statistics???????????

62% of all anecdotes involve water fowl of some sort.

22% of all anecdotes involve a cow and some sort of magic.(occasionally a legume of some sort)

54% of all anecdotes involve a lesson that will be overlooked by at least one person with a polysyllabic username.

i hope this quells your desire for anecdotal statistics. could you please try to keep this thread on topic?

note: i personally apologize for the thread hijack. i was just trying appeasement. yes, i realize it didn't work for Great Britain in 1939, but this isn't exactly going to cost millions of lives, is it?

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin

Go to both and see what you like.

Personally I would never pick Xkeys over The Ranch. Some people on here are the exact opposite.

Two different DZs. Both have turbines. Both you can jump as much as you want.

Lets see who pisses further.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Lets see who pisses further.

perhaps you could elucidate on your message. while i wont speak for all skydivers everywhere, i find it hard to believe that anyone would use distance from urethra to ground as a means of picking a dropzone.

blue stuff,
p.j.

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin

Sorry to cut in but I agree with vertifly.
I did my aff & spent 1 season at the ranch.
I that DZO is one crazy bastard.
I have seen him unplug the wind meter so aff students would not see they were jumping in over 15mph winds. I have seen many people at the ranch smoking pot & drinking then getting on loads.
I now jump a x-keys & sussex.

Erik,
I jump at the Ranch and did my AFF there. Saying Billy or Joe unplugged the wind meter to allow students to jump is a pretty serious accusation. I would bet my life the Tom Buchanan, Sonic or many other Ranch hands would quickly put a stop to that. As far as drinking or pot, I have not seen that during jumping. It may happen; but, I have not seen it. I will also remind you that the only alcohol related incident I know of happened at Crosskeys. That is not a reflection on Crosskeys. That was a bad decision on the part of a jumper and whoever else knew he was drinking.

As far as statistically safer, prove it. Without numbers, it is just idle chatter. Back it up with real data. There is plenty if you want to make the effort.

I think the issue that many people have with The Ranch is the "no rules" policy. We police ourselves. We have effective S&TA and a core group of people to guide the newbies and round up the renegades. If you screw up, you will know about it. And appropriate action will be taken. If you jump at The Ranch, you are expected to be responsible for your actions. Once you accept that, you will be fine.

The Ranch is a family, it might be a little rough around the edges sometimes; but, there is always respect and caring for all skydivers.

If you want water training, the pond always has water you just need an instructor there to give the training.

I would bet there are a few people going to jump on Good Friday. Give them a call 845.255.9538

Brian

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Ok, I am sorry to somewhat try a highjack here, but I planning on coming down to CK this weekend(Sunday particularly), but the weather is looking less than favorable....have any input on how it might look for a student(picking up on level 6 after starting in Seb this winter) to jump???
~Dottie

“Everything looks perfect from far away.”
Postal Service, Such Great Heights

Cross Keys is a great DZ. The Ranch is an awesome DZ. Both run a safe and profitable operation. I've only been to X-keys a handfull of times and dont plan on being there a lot, but from what I remember the guys there are a pretty good professional bunch, just like our pros at the Ranch.

I didnt see any drinking and pot smoking when i was there but I am SURE it happens there as much as it does anywhere. There are always bad apples in the family, every dz has its share.

When some noob with no name and no profile (erikzero) makes a bogus safety accusation like that should we really take it to heart? I think people that have a clue will see his post for what it really is - an ignorant pile of crap and disregard it. Unfortunately, the people that dont have a clue just might take it as a fact and form their opinions based on his garbage.
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

Statistically more safe.

care to quantify that with some 'statistics"? "Safety" implies an external force causing safety or assuring it as opposed to individuals taking the responsibility for safety on one's own. It suggests that the system or drop zone is safe and that individuals have less to do with it. Few drop zones are safe or not safe. it's the people. And until you can cite specifics, I'd suggest you steer clear of such outlandish and irresponsible commentary.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire. Do we have to have that debate in this thread too?

it is a private joke between eric and i. more funny when you say or hear it in person i guess. kinda like with the Frankenstein's "It's Alive!!!" voice if you can imagine that. :P

care to quantify that with some 'statistics"?

geez, couldn't anyone sense the facetiousness of my post. i'm just saying it is a good place. to have to defend my playful banter is just boring. but the fact remains that the ny dz has a reputation for being, generally, less cautious.

care to quantify that with some 'statistics"?

geez, couldn't anyone sense the facetiousness of my post. i'm just saying it is a good place. to have to defend my playful banter is just boring. but the fact remains that the ny dz has a reputation for being, generally, less cautious.

I learned at the ranch

I have noticed that as a self policing force there are a lot of great people that tell you whats up and when you need to modify your actions to make the dropzone safer...

statistically the ranch is a safer dropzone if you look at the death toll...

hmmm lets see we have had one student who had an apparent heart attack...

I count 4 deaths at crosskeys in the last 2 years...2 which where a result of drinking and drugging if I recall correctly...

so technically statistically the ranch is a safer dropzone...

I do however jump both dropzones...I like them for different reasons but I call the ranch my home...There is a certain feeling of happiness that comes over me when I enter the Ranch parking lot...perhaps due to my friends...perhaps due to many good memories...

or maybe its because when I show up at the ranch I remember why I got into skydiving...its about having a good time and living life to the fullest....

but to ask someone on the internet what will be right for you is not the answer...

Jump crosskeys...jump sussex...jump jersey shore...jump the ranch...check them all out and make your decision based on what kind of a good time you had at each...

Cheers

Dave
PS: See all you ranchhands this weekend
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Well my decision right now is simple. What dropzone is more likely to put up more loads on Monday and Tuesday of next week. Last year I was afraid of going anywhere beacause I was new to the sport. I am still new to skydiving but have more confidence in things like landing in a tighter area etc... This year I hope to visit many of the surrounding DZ's. But for right now I am just looking to see who might be putting up the most loads for these two days. I wanted my 100th jump to be at the place I learned at (SDLI) but due to the weather and timing it doesn't look like it will happen that way.

I'm not about getting into fights, and I've also never jumped X-keys, (hoping to check it out this summer,) but when you start talking about reputations, then you invite replies from people who are there.

I learned at the Ranch last summer. I'm a low-timer, with under a hundred jumps. I've never felt anything but safe and taken care of at the Ranch. I can ask anyone a question, get a straight-up answer, and feel totally ok that they're giving me class A information on which I can rely. The guys who got me to my A license were spectacular, and from then on, every question I've had has been answered not only by someone who listens and gives an honest opinion, but more often than not by numerous people there who happened to overhear and want to provide advice and insight. I've never once felt unsafe or talked-down to. In fact, there have been two times I can recall when I debated jumping in what I thought were relatively calm winds, and someone with many, many more jumps would come over and watch a landing with me, pointing out various things I didn't know to look for, which would keep me on the ground, and probably keep me from getting hurt.

I'm not saying who's better or who's worse, but when you come out and say that the reputation says they're generally less cautious, I have to comment that I've yet to see that , and feel completely safe jumping there.
My .02, take it for what it's worth to you.

Good for you dude, go with it. Have at it. Do what you gotta do. At 30 jumps stories flew around - that is in 97, at 100 jumps I was warned about it (but was also warned about the winds at Crosskeys - a strange untruth as well) ...at 1000 jumps I was warned about it again...and still hear stories about what it was like. I have no idea what goes on now. But the running word in Jersey, for a while, was to watch your ass up there. I got nothing more than that. It's probably a great place with a lot of good times, fun jumps, excellent memories, but with the rest...i rest.

I am not stating fact here because I don't have any. Only have about 20 jumps there...if I have 10. I can't tell you about all the stories I have heard, where they come from, why people say them. I'm just passin on that the place has a rep....a less than positive rep from my perspective. Quite frankly, even as a very experience jumper - it friggin freaks me out. I can take care of myself now, it is the low timers who are unaware who should be concerned.

Dude....I'm leaving this thread because it has gotten way outta control. But this is were I stand and no one in here will change my mind.... Because all the people who are posting great things about the place seem to jump there on a normal basis.

I swear no allegiance to any DZ but have a partialness to particular ones. Use your best judgement man. Just be safe and keep on jumping.

Dear Northeast Skydivers:

Skydive the Ranch, and Skydive Cross Keys are both really great skydiving centers. The opinions of Vertifly in no way reflect the opinions of the people here at Skydive Cross Keys.

The Ranch is well known for a caring staff and friendly atmosphere, and has a long history in the Northeast as a solid skydiving training center. We at Cross Keys have many, many friends at the Ranch. They are instructors, videographers, and fun jumpers, and they are all great representatives of the sport. We would jump at the Ranch without hesitation.
Many of the licensed jumpers in this area go back and forth between Skydive Cross Keys and The Ranch regularly. The Northeast is a great place to live as a skydiver, because you have so many excellent dropzones to choose from. We encourage everybody to try out different skydiving locations, and decide for yourself which place has the best vibe for you. You can find a full slate of events listed on our calendar at www.skydivecrosskeys.com. Please come and check us out!

Sincerely,
Skydive Cross Keys Management
Where the world comes to skydive!

*** I have no idea what goes on now. But the running word in Jersey, for a while, was to watch your ass up there. I got nothing more than that. It's probably a great place with a lot of good times, fun jumps, excellent memories, but with the rest...i rest.

. Quite frankly, even as a very experience jumper - it friggin freaks me out.

Dude....I'm leaving this thread because it has gotten way outta control.

That's good Dave, because the less you speak,.. the more expierienced you appear.;)

hey as I said I jump both...I think I actually have more jumps of of Crosskeys planes than I do the ranch planes....I just saw people talking smack with nothign to back it up....

and thank you liz or whoever it was from crosskeys who posted that :-) reiterating what I said before...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

That's good Dave, because the less you speak,.. the more expierienced you appear.

Just keepin it real man. I'm not here to put sprinkles on cupcakes. And ps...so thats how you become a skygod....Shut the frig up and show up at the dz with a rig and hang out in the rigging loft with an espresso machine. :D

Erik,
I jump at the Ranch and did my AFF there. Saying Billy or Joe unplugged the wind meter to allow students to jump is a pretty serious accusation. I would bet my life the Tom Buchanan, Sonic or many other Ranch hands would quickly put a stop to that. As far as drinking or pot, I have not seen that during jumping. It may happen; but, I have not seen it. I will also remind you that the only alcohol related incident I know of happened at Crosskeys. That is not a reflection on Crosskeys. That was a bad decision on the part of a jumper and whoever else knew he was drinking.

As far as statistically safer, prove it. Without numbers, it is just idle chatter. Back it up with real data. There is plenty if you want to make the effort.

I think the issue that many people have with The Ranch is the "no rules" policy. We police ourselves. We have effective S&TA and a core group of people to guide the newbies and round up the renegades. If you screw up, you will know about it. And appropriate action will be taken. If you jump at The Ranch, you are expected to be responsible for your actions. Once you accept that, you will be fine.

The Ranch is a family, it might be a little rough around the edges sometimes; but, there is always respect and caring for all skydivers.

If you want water training, the pond always has water you just need an instructor there to give the training.

I would bet there are a few people going to jump on Good Friday. Give them a call 845.255.9538

Brian
Since you cut of the bottom of my post I will copy & paste it for you.
------>This is what I have seen and I choose not to return to that dropzone.
I meet up with many people who still jump at the ranch & they say it has gotten better.
I am sure people are doing these things on every dz it is up to you. So just be as safe as you can. <------

You can jump wherever the hell you like that goes for all of you I don't care. I started at the ranch and it might have been a down point for them that year.

AND TO FROST--
You want info on me? ask, I will give you everything you need to know.
Because my info is empty I am a "noob" Nice try little boy.

AGAIN,
I am sure people are doing these things on every dz it is up to you. So just be as safe as you can.

What I said is what I have seen with my own eyes.

Sorry my camera was not turned on for you.:S