htown84

San Diego DZs?

There is a good probability that I will be in San Diego in October. If so I plan to try and jump while there, i am sure the view has got to better than out here in TX. What DZs are close to San Diego? Are there any suggested spots to go jump out there? Being that I should be doing my student jumps at that time would it be okay to just tandem out there? I don't think a tandem jump would kill me. Any suggestions??

I've been to Skydive San Diego a few times and it was a really cool place, although I haven't been there in a while. That's in Jamul. Depending on where you are in San Diego and how far you want to drive there are a few other places you could go.

See the list of CA drop zones here:
http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/North_America/United_States/California/index.html
http://www.uspa.org/dz/states/CA.htm

Doing a tandem or two before starting AFF or S/L or IAD is usually recommended, sometimes required. Most drop zones will let you do a tandem regardless of experience as long as you're not too heavy and physically able. Be sure to let them know if you've already done a tandem and what you'd like to learn or practice during the jump. Unless money, time, or the weather is an issue you should be able to get an A license between now and then though.

Hopefully a tandem jump won't kill you, but there's always a slim chance that it will.

I'd recommend just starting an AFF, S/L, or IAD training program closer to home as soon as you want to, or do another tandem first if you prefer.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

Thanks for the info. I will be at the Convention Center for work, but then I am taking a couple of days for myself. I plan on jumping out there, but do not kow that I want to do an AFF course there. I figure I should be close to my license and will try and do all of the courses at the DZ I did my first tandem at. So while I am out in San Diego I think I may just do a tandem and see about learning some new things or practicing what I learn prior to going. Thanks for the advice.

Instead of doing a tandem, you might consider getting some tunnel time at Perris. For a few bucks more, you can get 15 minutes. You won't get the view provided by the tandem, but it will help you out much more for being stable during your AFF.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Thanks for the info. I will be at the Convention Center for work, but then I am taking a couple of days for myself. I plan on jumping out there, but do not kow that I want to do an AFF course there. I figure I should be close to my license and will try and do all of the courses at the DZ I did my first tandem at. So while I am out in San Diego I think I may just do a tandem and see about learning some new things or practicing what I learn prior to going. Thanks for the advice.

If you staying downtown at the Convention Center, Skydive San Diego is closest to you. A little bit further are two larger dropzones (about 1.5-2 hrs. from where you will be - depending on traffic/weather) - Skydive Elsinore and Skydive Perris. All three have Tandem and AFF and all three will be able to accomodate you, even if you are not yet licensed. All three are awesome and have great instructors. You really just need to decide what size dropzone you are interested in and how far you are willing to drive. All three have great weather during that time as well.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

Skydive san diego. . .I cannot speak for about jumping because I never have jumped there. In less than an hour's drive you can be at Skydive Elsinore or Skydive Perris. Elsinore has the best view in my opinion and a very warm and friendly atmosphere. Skydive Perris is a very large and very business dropzone. Either one will offer you world class instructors and great amenities. Just depends on your desires. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

All three are great places to jump, and I'm sure you'll figure out what kind of environment you want closer to October. If you've gotten you A by then and feel comfortable at a smaller DZ, I really enjoyed jumping at SSD. If you are still working on your license and/or need gear you might do a little better venturing inland to Elsinore or Perris. Got my license at Perris on my 3rd jump there. B|

Don't worry about it now man, you have plenty of jump time before you head out there. And as far as my post on the other thread, you may very well get comfortable enough jumping to venture out from your home DZ before you're at your A. Just go with what feels right for you. You'll know.