Tidlof

CA skydiving bill signed by governor

I don't see a thread about this, so reluctantly, I'll ask here.

This CA bill

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB295

was signed by the Governor on Saturday and is aimed at tandem safety (and Lodi) based on a tandem fatality in 2016 there when the tandem master was not legally rated.

The following salient points were reported on a local Sacramento news report:

1. the "association" objected "mildly" to the bill saying it would duplicate what is already Federal law.

2. Caltrans would levy fines (the Caltrans Div. of Aeronautics does not have a history of safety enforcement that I know of and would logically leave that to the FAA/NTSB).

3. The FAA said they would not sanction Lodi for that particular incident because they could not hold responsible for "discrepancies" in the tandemmaster's paperwork. (There has to be more to that part of the story).

We all have an opinion on Bill and Lodi's ops and have debated those opinions for years. Let's not beat that dead horse here again,

BUT, tell me if there are additional facts to a real back story to this bill other than speculation that

* the plaintiff's lawyers want to beef up the lawsuit or their reputation or

* other DZ owners are tired of Bill's ridiculously low jump rates.
Ted
D6691 SCR 3975 SCS 2242 NSCR 698
On the road to wrack and ruin…………
but making damn good time.