Kimblair13

Study Abroad...Australia, New Zealand and South Africa

OK...so I'm looking into doing the study abroad program thru my school, mainly to go somewhere else and skydive alot! ;)

I'm kinda interested in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

The choices from my school for Aust are Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne. For NZ, Dunedin and for SA, Cape Town or Durban.

If anyone knows if any of these places are homes to medium to large DZ's could you let me know!

Thanks.

Also, if you live in one of those places can I live with you?:D

For Aust, my first choice would be Melbourne (Nagambie), if you need a second choice I'd put Perth (Skydive Express).

NZ is beatiful, but the jump scene is a little smaller if you're not interested in being a TM!;)

Good luck with your choice...
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

No Sydney? That sucks. You can't live with me then

I was hoping for Australia...when I started looking. How close is Canberra to Skydive Picton. They have Australia National University which is in our program. If that's close to Skydive Picton and Australia National Univ I'd definately go there!!

Canberra to Picton is about a 2hr drive. There are quite a few Canberra jumpers at Picton... PM Travman, he's a denizen of that town.

If the University of Wollongong is on your list, Wollongong is about 25min from Picton, has a high-quality tandem operation, and is home to a hell of a lot of jumpers.

[

How close is Canberra to Skydive Picton. They have Australia National University which is in our program. If that's close to Skydive Picton and Australia National Univ I'd definately go there!!

Kim,

Canberra is a 2 hour easy drive to Picton - all freeway. Plus you may want do tandems over Canberra itself. There's 2 tandem operations operating in town. The DZ is right in middle of the city, using an oval in front of the Royal Australian Mint - absolutely stunning visuals as it's one of the world's prettiest cities (true!).

I call Canberra the "2 hour city" - 2 hours to the surf in summer, 2 hours to the ski fields in winter, 2 hours to Picton - and surrounded by nice hills for bush walking etc. There's a big lake in middle of town for watersports too.

The ANU is an extremely well regarded university - also smack in the middle of town. We have cycle paths all over the place making cycling a pleasure.

Go to Google Earth and have a look. ANU is around
35 16' 44.56" S 149 07' 10.48 E

The Mint DZ is 35 19' 00.24" S 149 05' 35.05" E

Also check out how pretty this city is!!!

So if I were you, I'd carefully check out ANU - and make Canberra your overseas study destination.

Blue Skies,

fergs
BMCI
B|

The ANU is an extremely well regarded university

When you say this do you mean it's hard to get into or what? I mean...I'm really wanting to make this trip more of a skydiving fantasy trip with studying here and there...not really wanting to get all wrapped in a book.

Do the DZ's in Canb have fun jumpers as well? Or is it strictly a tandem factory?

Kimbo,

1. Well regarded means it's has a very good reputation as a university.
2. Over the city jumping is tandem.
3. Canberra fun jumpers travel to either Picton (2 hours, multi turbine aircraft), Temora (2 and a bit hours smaller cessna DZ, but very friendly) or Nowra (2 and an half hours cessna DZ close to the coast).
4. We ocasionally do fun loads into the mint oval. Plus I sometimes go solo wingsuit after the tandems if I don't want to devote a whole day to Picton.

Blue Skies,

fergs

She is a TM :P.

D'oh!!:$

What I meant to say, is it could be slightly limited fun if you intend to fun jump!

If you can go to Wollongong, that'd be my pick! (It's my uni!)

Feel free to PM me, if you'd like to get an off the cuff opinion on the merits of the uni's or their cities.
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

Hey Kim,

The University of Cape Town is a great place to study and the city itself is unbelievably beautiful.

Durban has its merits too.

Unfortunately, while Skydive CT does a lot of tandems and AFF it and Skydive Durban are both Cessna dropzones.

Check out their websites on:

www.skydivedurban.co.za

www.skydivecapetown.za.net/

Skydive Cape Town is open during the week and Skydive Durban only on weekends.

SA's biggest drop zones are up in Johannesburg, where i live. We have the Johannesburg Skydiving Club (JSC) and we fly a Pilatus Porter. And there's also Pretoria Skydiving Club (PSC) who fly a King Air. Both are fantastic dropzones with friendly people and good vibes.

Check out their websites on www.jsc.co.za and www.iloveskydiving.co.za

If i can hekp you with anything else don't hesitate to ask here or PM me :)
Cheers
PJ

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

For Aust, my first choice would be Melbourne (Nagambie), if you need a second choice I'd put Perth (Skydive Express).

Good luck with your choice...

I'd argue that point Perth is GREAT, and I've lived in both Melbourne and Sydney and perth is much better than both:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?