Canuck

Skydive Davis in April

My team is planning a training camp for the end of March, and are leaning towards Davis (cheap jumps and coaching from Guano). A few questions for any Davis regulars:

1. How is the weather that time of year?

2. Does the PAC fly on weekdays that time of year (or ever) or would it mean 182 jumps Monday through Thursday?

3. How busy does it get on weekends? How many PAC loads fly on a typical day?

Thanks,
Canuck

edited to fix the dates

The weather is pretty good there in April.
They're usually shut down on Mondays and Tuesdays I think. Wednesdays and Thursdays depend on how many jumpers are there on whether or not they run the PAC or the 182, although they mostly use the PAC recently.
Most weekends are pretty busy, I'm guessing around 20+ loads at that time of year.

Best to contact manifest to see what they say. It's a fun place, and Guano is great.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

1) April is good weather. May be a bit breezy.

2) The PAC will fly with 5 tickets. If some of the locals know you'll be there training during the week they're likely to show up.

3) 20+ loads easy on a weekend day in spring/summer. It can get busy but calls generally don't exceed about 40 minutes.

Guano are the shit. :ph34r:

Ooops. The dates are actually the last week in March. Does that change anything much?

Thanks,
Canuck

Probably not - just more likely that weather could be finnicky. You're talking NorCal, not the midwest. In the NorCal DZs, if conditions allow it, people are generally there jumping.

And no, Guano is not the shit - they're nice people! ;)

only to add:

Recently some folks from Europe were over doing Birdman jumps. I do not have the exact specifics to what arrangements they made with the DZ, but they were jumping on Monday and Tuesday when the DZ is normally closed.

You'll really enjoy Guano, they are "The Shit!!!" and definately meant in a good way B|

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Canuck-

Weather can be gorgeous, and it can also be really windy. Just depends on the year, it's always changing on us.

The PAC will fly on weekdays, and normally that time of year is when we start to get more students so we'll usually have some loads going. The plane only needs 5 jumpers/5 tickets to go, so it's really easy to start up.

Depending on students it can be busy, but we'll make every effort to get you on every load we can.

Give us a call at 530-753-2651 to talk to anyone in the office. We'll be happy to help you with anything we can. See you in March!

Blue skies,
Morrigan
Manifest, SkyDance SkyDiving

Reading this post it could have been me posting it. My team and I are also planning on coming to the US end of March (from South Africa). We are planning on going to Eloy first to do some tunnel time but it seems so expensive to do coaching jumps there that Skydance seems like a much better option. There will probably be 4 of us coming, my team plus a friend coming along for the ride and a few fun jumps.

Our only concerns are that there is no jumping on mondays or tuesdays. Seems like we will be jumping the PAC so thats cool. Dont really want to come all the way from South Africa to jump a 182 the whole time :P We'll also only be coming for about 2 weeks so if the dz is closed on 4 of those days it doesnt leave us with much time. We should be able to time it so we only get there on wednesday, by spending a bit more time at Eloy. But ill email Skydance to ask about all this stuff.

Oh, and what sort of altitude do you guys get at skydance? 12.5k? That would be awesome since my home dz only gets 11k.

Canuck, pm'd you.

Reading this post it could have been me posting it. My team and I are also planning on coming to the US end of March (from South Africa). We are planning on going to Eloy first to do some tunnel time but it seems so expensive to do coaching jumps there that Skydance seems like a much better option. There will probably be 4 of us coming, my team plus a friend coming along for the ride and a few fun jumps.

Our only concerns are that there is no jumping on mondays or tuesdays. Seems like we will be jumping the PAC so thats cool. Dont really want to come all the way from South Africa to jump a 182 the whole time :P We'll also only be coming for about 2 weeks so if the dz is closed on 4 of those days it doesnt leave us with much time. We should be able to time it so we only get there on wednesday, by spending a bit more time at Eloy. But ill email Skydance to ask about all this stuff.

Oh, and what sort of altitude do you guys get at skydance? 12.5k? That would be awesome since my home dz only gets 11k.

Canuck, pm'd you.

I think the PAC goes to at least 12K on a typical load (maybe more like 12K). I know they did at least one loadn to 18K for the American Boogie (yes, they have oxygen on the plane). While not as fast or powerful as a King Air, it has a nice wide door, places to grab and is brand new so you get that special feeling and almost expect a flight attendant to give you stuff. You certainly could do worse. Another option would be to go to Lodi for Mon & Tue and back to SkyDance the rest of the time. Again, if they know you are coming, maybe they could make an exception. I'm pretty sure that 6 is the min to operate the PAC.

Our only concerns are that there is no jumping on mondays or tuesdays. Seems like we will be jumping the PAC so thats cool. Dont really want to come all the way from South Africa to jump a 182 the whole time

As Elisha said, Lodi is a 7 day a week DZ with a tubine running everyday, and it's 40 mins from Skydunce.
Jumps are $15 to 13K or a block of 50 jumps for $13 each.

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Skydance flies the PAC to 13k. Prices are $19 for individual jumps or less for blocks
http://www.skydance.net/sd/discpkg.htm

When there's a tandem going to 18k, they'll let you tag along for something like $5 extra if there's room.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative