jumpingbean001

Collegiate Boogie January 13-16, 2006

The University of Florida 'Falling Gators' are hosting a Boogie at Skydive Palatka. This is their annual collegiate boogie, formerly held at skydive Williston.

They will be having 4way scrambles, helicopter jumps, Caravan will be here, Porter on call, vendors with demo gear and discounted wingsuit training. Geared towards our college skydivers.

Of course, that stands to reason there will be plenty of food and alcohol and silly games and competitions to be named in the near future.

Should be lots of fun and I will be there to help organize fun jumps. Of course, jump prices will be lower too! ;)

If you can make it or know of some collegiate representatives who would like to be involved have them contact me, here or pm me and I will set them up with Jared, President of the Falling Gators.

Blue Skies,
Tammie B|
Let's have fun! :)

Sounds like it will be a fun boogie after collegiates are over!! The UGA (University of Georgia) Skydawgs are planning on showing up. Look forward to meeting a bunch of other college jumpers as hard as it is to meet them anywhere else!!!
Alex
UGA Skydiving
4 Dawg Night (4way team)
Alex
UGA Skydiving Club

Tammie beat me to the post. I was just logging on to put some info up, and dang it if she didn't spoil all my fun.

Like she said above, we look forward to some great jumps with fellow collegiate jumpers. I know the date is really close to Collegiate Nationals in Lake Wales, but trust me, our boogie is worth coming too. Past years' fun included intoxicated foreigners leaping over the bonfire, taking an inflatable fat chick for her first AFF, cruising around in a bulldozer we found during the night, that kid from Maryland eating a grub he found in a log for a jump ticket, and other stories that I'll censor for public decency's sake. If you're not in college, but wish you were, come make some jumps with us, anyone is welcome.

So far we have confirmations from UGA, Florida Tech, UNF, and Embry-Riddle. I'm going out on a limb, but I'm assuming that the crew from U. Maryland is coming again like they always do. Spread the word and we'll make this year the biggest yet.

For any questions/comments/concerns/criticisms/etc. you can email me at [email protected] or PM me here.

Jared Lee
President, Falling Gators

Unfortunately I'm not gonna make it this year. Doing the Great White North Boogie at lake wales right after your boogie (wish I could do both). I arrive in FL on the 17th. Any of you guys gonna be there?

And does palatka have any woods to take the vans through?? :P

I missed the naked russian jumping the bonfire and I wish I missed the grub eating. But the rest of that was so much fun. I still need to get a copy of the video of that fat lady jump...that was awesome.

Dave

What happened to Williston?***

Lots of things. Among them: we left in favor of Skydive Palatka, who have actual doors on their planes and other safety innovations. We feel that Skydive Palatka is a superior dropzone and will support them in all our activities.

Jared Lee
Cohete Rodriguez / Team Dirty Sanchez #74
Former President, UF Falling Gators

Oooooh... you mean innovations like student gear that shouldn't be grounded? :S Yeah, and I like my planes with doors too.

Maybe this year we'll get some flocking going on at the collegiate boogie B|.

Cheers!

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

To be fair, Williston hired some very nice aircraft for the collegiate boogie every year and never had any safety issues. Dunno what it's like there the rest of the year, but it was always a great DZ for the boogie. I'm guessing the boogie moved more due to personality conflicts, not safety issues, right?

I know their cessna had a door, unless it broke or something since January. It was just missing the little corner piece to fill in the gap, right?

Dave

Hey Dave! If you'd like, I can PM you the history of the boogie (I jumped there for almost 10 years), and why the Falling Gators have opted to move the boogie to a drop zone where they can still call it the "Falling Gators Collegiate Boogie" and not the "Williston Tandem Boogie."

A lot has happened there since the last boogie, and unfortunately, politics AND safety concerns have altered the course of both the drop zone (it's now for sale), and the UF skydiving club (moved to Skydive Palatka, with many, including me, jumping at Z-hillz as well).

Never fear though, with the current members of the Falling Gators and the help of Art and his crew at Palatka, this year's boogie will likely be the biggest and best one yet.:D

Cheers!

--Jairo

The club moved to Skydive Palatka for its superior service and safety. I learned to jump at Williston and made many good friends there, so I will never disown the place.

However, in an objective comparison, Palatka is better suited to the needs of the club. A quiet instruction room and safer student equipment lend themselves to superior instruction methods for our new jumpers. The support facilities, such as bathrooms/showers are in better condition. There is a rigger on staff who can do all our club gear maintenance work. The landing area is directly next to the main building / packing area. Also, during the summer they run 2 planes which allow us to get more loads in the air so that everyone stays happy. Skydive Palatka will also be flying a Grand Caravan this winter, which is the same plane we used for last year's boogie, and has access to a helicopter, which was not a luxury last year.

I do not mean to start any feuding or name calling on this or any other forum. I simply wanted to lay out the reasoning the club used in its decision to move our support to Skydive Palatka. Be assured that the club harbors no hard feelings toward any individuals. While there may have been personal conflicts in the past they have been rectified by the parties involved. The club does not maintain a malicious intent in any of its dealings and wishes Skydive Williston the best of fortune. We are all in this sport to have fun and be safe. The club simply concluded that, for us, this can best be accomplished at Skydive Palatka.

Jared Lee

Yeah! What Jared said! I took you on the wingsuit jump last year in Williston. Other than the weather, I had a great time! There are good people there. But things happen and when some safety concerns are neglected, a person has to decide what they want to help promote as a safe and fun dz. We have all had GREAT times out there! I can tell many stories of great memories I have had in Williston. I will always cherish memories from there, but just the simple act of putting the dz up for sale (not to mention most of the regulars have left) should be some indication that the desire to maintain it has left, also.

We are in no way indicating that it was not a kick ass place to hang out and have a good time, but times have changed. Hopefully for the better! ;)

Tammie B|
Let's have fun! :)

We are in no way indicating that it was not a kick ass place to hang out and have a good time, but times have changed. Hopefully for the better! ;)

Very well put, Tammie.;) See you soon...

--Cheers!

--Jairo

I will be there repsresenting FCCJ. Thats right suckas...community college rules!! We should have a freefly competition because Stacey also goes to fccj. Anybody interested?
TronX3rd is the craziest entity ever known to man and will be so impossible to handle, the only thing you can do is stand there in awe and say " Wow.That really is TronX3rd"

Okay, hopefully this answers some questions.

During the day our club will be offering food concessions on site at reasonable pricing. Food will most likely include eggs, bacon, biscuits & gravy, coffee, juice, pastries, and the like for breakfast; hamburgers, hot dogs, fries, chips, etc. for lunch. I'll work on getting dinner donated by local food providers like Sonny's BBQ and Domino's Pizza.

As for beer, we have a fellow regular jumper who drives a beer truck for a living. Enough said.

As for instructors, there are plenty at Skydive Palatka. They are well versed in the methods of AFF and S/L. Since Palatka owns two C-182's, S/L jumps are no problem.

Also, I'm trying to get T-Shirts made for the boogie. If your club knows how many and what sizes, please let me know so I can order more accurately. Right now I'm thinking of modeling the design after a Corona Extra label.

If there are any other questions or suggestions, just let me know.

Jared Lee