ReLLiK75

Balloon Jumps in Augusta GA!

Just a thought....

A few of us are local. The rest of you are coming from out of town--most likely arriving Friday evening. Is anyone interested in a little Friday night gathering? We could do a little cook-out at my place.

Let me know if you all are interested....

Alright.... I am paid up. That makes a total of 6 of us for sure. Any update to that Wayne?

Also, is the meeting place still the Wal-Mart in Evans?

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

I'm thinking golf courses too! Would be fun. Actually, we are cleared to land at Fort Gordon if we end up over their air space. Right now, though it's too hard to predict because we have no clue what the winds will be doing that day and the balloon company has various launch points depending on wind direction. Hopefully Friday night I'll be able to guesstimate some realistic landing areas.

He he.. you gotta love google..

I downloaded Google Earth and checked out the area, anywhere close to Fort Gordon would be absolutely money, cause there is so much landing area it's not even funny.

It would be nice to know what the conditions of the terrain is.. but that's asking a bit much probably.. looks like all flat fields..

By the way.. the clearance, was that given by the people there? Did you inform a local S&TA or are these "oops we fell out of the balloon"-kind of jumps?

See you on Saturday!

Iwan

At the risk of sounding parental here is a small check list of things to bring (or do) on these jumps. A thought to remember is that normally balloon jumps are done in a boogie situation with an entire drop zone and it's group of people readily available. This won't be the case here.

1)Pull up cord and rubber stow bands. Don't depend on others. Even waiting for someone else's pull up cord cost valuable minutes as we race to catch the balloon for the 2nd jump.

2)Cell phone. The chase vehicle can take a while finding you, as well as other things that can happen. Once again, don't depend on others as it is remarkable just how far you can land from the other people on the very same skydive.

3)Drivers license, USPA card, and medical insurance card. This in in case you land on farmer McNasty's property and hit his fence; or hit it real hard! It normally isn't a problem, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility to have the law called on you for landing on someone's property. ID, USPA card (you have property damage insurance through them), and your medical insurance card can make a bad situation much better. It also doesn't hurt to have a couple of bucks on you.

4)As obvious as it sounds, don't turn on your AADs until you get to the launch site, especially those coming from out of town. Another thing to consider, is that your landing area could be up to a couple of hundred feet higher or lower than the launch point. Don't be caught by surprise if you are one that uses your altimeter to set up your landing. Because you are landing someplace unplanned and unfamiliar, everything will happen a lot faster. Don't count on a wide open Fort Gordon field being available when you open up.

5)It is also a good idea to wear clear goggles. As stated above, the unfamiliar landing area will need to be thoroughly scanned for fences, power lines, etc. Clear goggles are a good idea on this.

Just a few thoughts to try and make this safe for everyone. Go ahead and flame me.

Blue 111-
Jeff

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

At the risk of sounding parental here is a small check list of things to bring (or do) on these jumps. ........
Just a few thoughts to try and make this safe for everyone. Go ahead and flame me.

Blue 111-
Jeff

Yeah dude.. lighten up.. its really not that serious :P

Good advice though.. I hope someone brings a pair of binoculars so we can spot from altitude a bit better too..
From Google Earth Fort Gordon looks huge, and clear.. but I dont know how old those images are..

See you all on Saturday! I can't wait...

I have paid and will be there too :)
Is there going to be a get together Friday night? I may be interested, but am not really sure what time I'll be leaving NC...probably won't know until I actually do leave.

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Rellik,

I'm sure you've already given up my slot, but I was still tryiong to work out the details to make it down. The last straw fell today, there is no way I can make it on Saturday.

I hope you guys have a blast, I know you will!

Definitely keep me in mind for the next time. I only live about 45 minutes up the road.

Ganja