junior_240

backpacking europe - skydiving?

I'm planning a trip to europe next may and was thinking of maybe making a jump or two while I'm there. (depending on the money situation).

The plan (and this is a rough draft) is to visit:
England - Longdon, maybe another city as well
Netherlands - Amsterdam
France - Paris, French Riviera
Switzerland - Interlaken, Gimmelwald
Italy - Venice, Florence, Rome
Spain - Barcelona, Sevilla (visiting a friend there so it's a must), Madrid
This is in no particular order but somewhat of the route I'd like to take. I'd like to go to Prague but I don't know if I'll have time. Should I not miss it? the schedule is not set in stone yet. Just started looking into and doing some research. Any other recommendations?

I was also wondering what are the basic requirements to jump over there - logbook, uspa card,....etc. I know they all differ, I just would like some feedback because it'll be a trip of a lifetime and when will I get the chance to jump over there again to experience something like that?!? :)Plus skydivers could show me around to all the cool cities and things to do....

Any other info would be great!
Thanks in advance

Just bring your USPA card, highest license and log book. You can rent everything else. When you are in Barcelona Empuriabrava is a must. you will want to visit the Salvidore Dali museum in Figuares anyway and the DZ is about 20 minutes away.
Unless you are going to spend a fair bit of time in UK their mandatory short term BPA requirement will drive the price of your jumps up to much to be worth it.
Put both Prague and Budapest on your not to be missed list.

i had a similar trip last summer... i definatley would bring your own gear tho... pain in the ass yes, but suck it up...

i had a backpack on my back and my gear bag on my front everywehere we went, and only made 3 skydives and it was worth every bit of it..

interlaken is one of the coolest places in the world imo.. go find mark or chris at the funnyfarm and jump thier heli... i payed 40$ to 10,500 feet in front of the eiger while everyone else was at the convention paying 70$ to 5,500 over rantoul...:)

I'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks it's a good idea to go backpacking with a rig hehe... I'm going travelling around US/Australasia/Asia for a year...

It would be ridiculous not to take my rig but I'm not quite sure about the logistics of it all yet... (rig- 190 sq ft main, 2 jumpsuits, log books, helmet etc. etc. is gonna take up a lot of room!)

I think taking my rig would be just too much to carry. Plus I'm not going there to jump, now if I was that would be a different story. I'm going to see the sights and all the good stuff, but I would like to make a jump or two
I'm sure they'll have gear to rent, just have to make sure I give it a real good gear check. :)

well the interlaken operation was tourist tandem only.. no dz, no student gear nada... just a rented heli and a nice open meadow... but maybe you can just flap your arms real fast...

personally i carry my rig everyehere i go.. just in case

as for the 2 jumpsuits, helmet blah blah blah.. id scrap all that crap...all you really need is a rig a logbook and a sense of adventure...
good luck

Skyservice in Prague is a great little DZ. Cheap jumps, everyone speaks Eng+German and they have some cool planes. Spent a few days there and loved every minute. Buses will get you there from Prague in well under 90mins. Cheap/free accom and a great bar/restaurant on site.

They hire rigs - not sure what the deal with helmets/altis.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

I did a similar trip last summer but with more emphasis on jumping. I picked the boogies that sounded fun and filled in the gaps with some sightseeing, travelling and visiting smaller DZs. I took my own gear... yes it was a pain in the butt at times but so much easier than renting! Just pack less clothing :P Borrow / rent helmet, alti, etc but it's nice, especially at a strange DZ to have familiar gear.

Get an FAI license before you go and make sure you log book is up to date and signed. Email DZs ahead of time to check they'll be open, have gear to rent etc... sucks to make a trip to a DZ to find it's everyones day off!

If you are going to Prague (you should do even if you don't jump there) check out if the Pink Skyvan will be in Klatovy. Klatovy is a couple of hours by bus to Klatovy and a great place / cool people.

Slovenia and Slovakia have some cool things to jump (glider, balloon etc) and are cheap.

Have fun! B|

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

If you go to Spain , thats for sure, you must stop at Empuria (train from BCN -Figueres 1h45 then 15min bus to Empuria).The Dz is great but the town is very nice, also geart for night life!I would recommend you to rent as travelling with you rigg is a pain..when you know you can rent all for 15€ per jump....
If you are in the south of Spain and have an other day you should go to Granada, it is simply beautifull!
I think you should not miss Pragua neither!!
A good way (sometimes slow) as it is cheap is call
Eurolines.com kind of Europeen greyhound..but without all the negative points of Greyhound like buses late, straneges people....It is very safe...
I know there was a forum about 2 months ago about the same , should have a look!

well the interlaken operation was tourist tandem only.. no dz, no student gear nada... just a rented heli and a nice open meadow... but maybe you can just flap your arms real fast...

personally i carry my rig everyehere i go.. just in case

as for the 2 jumpsuits, helmet blah blah blah.. id scrap all that crap...all you really need is a rig a logbook and a sense of adventure...
good luck

there are actually fun jumpers there... i was there 2 years ago and rented gear to make a jump there! awesome people and dz... must jump in interlakenB|