skydiva1978

New to Washington DC area, looking for dropzone!

Hi,

I'm new to dropzone.com and also new to the washington DC area. I'm a relatively new jumper and would like to learn as well as have fun. If anyone knows of good dropzones in the area with friendly people willing to jump with new license holders, please let me know.

-Kaitlyn
"You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them how to fly in formation.."

From Rockville, your best options are gonna be Skydive Delmarva in DE (where I used to jump) and Skydive Cross Keys in NJ. The VA DZs are gonna be a much longer drive. Delmarva is very close to Ocean City/Salisbury. It'd be my suggestion, but you can't go wrong with Cross Keys either.

Dave

Hi,

I'm new to dropzone.com and also new to the washington DC area. I'm a relatively new jumper and would like to learn as well as have fun. If anyone knows of good dropzones in the area with friendly people willing to jump with new license holders, please let me know.

-Kaitlyn

Well, I jump at Orange. we are having a boogie this weekend too so you could come out and check us out then. We are a very fun group of people. You can check out the info for the boobie here:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/calendar/page.cgi?g=Detailed/477.html&d=1

Louisa is also a DZ near Orange if ya don't like what ya see at Orange (but most people do! :)
As for distance, Delmarva and Crosskeys are actually farther from Rockville than Orange. And Crosskeys is definitely farther than both Louisa and Orange
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

You can check out the info for the boobie here:

This has got the be a DZ.com classic lapsus! :D

HAH! that is awesome. And I am going to leave it in for posterity sake. Plus Orange IS known as the "Naked" dropzone afterall.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Skydive Virginia is the best dropzone in the world. I want to jump there again and again. Skydive Virginia is the best dropzone in the world. I want to jump there again and again. Skydive Virginia is the best dropzone in the world. I want to jump there again and again. Skydive Virginia is the best dropzone in the world. I want to jump there again and again. Skydive Virginia is the best dropzone in the world. I want to jump there again and again.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Hi Kaitlyn -- Welcome to Maryland. I live in Germantown, just a few miles north of Rockville.

There are several good DZs in the area, including those already mentioned. Another one that you should add to the list is Skydive Chambersburg in PA.

On the plus side: Chambersburg is closer than the others (approx. 80 miles from Rockville) and the drive is not plagued by the traffic jams that you get on I95 (into Virginia) or the Bay Bridge (going to the Eastern shore). The main jumpship is a King Air, so you can always get on a load and get to altitude in a hurry..

Downside: The DZ does not have a large and enthusiastic cadre of experienced jumpers. As a result, there is not as strong a DZ "vibe" and sense of community as you might find elsewhere. Please come jump there and help us change that!

I second that. Skydive Virginia offers less altitude for the time being, but easily makes up for it with the friendliness and personality you don't get from a larger DZ.

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"

Another vote here for Skydive Orange :)
I started jumping there this year after moving to VA & coming back after 2 years of being out of the sport. The DZ has great <> and there are jumpers in the air with all attitudes (free/flat/flail ...whatever) you may want.

As a relative noob, especially to the DZ, I found some really cool people to jump with from day one.

C'mon to Orange - you're likely to find a new home!

stylinmike

(>O]-<

Skydive Virginia offers less altitude for the time being

Yes, come and see our SWEET twin turbine King Air...sitting there without engines as you taxi by it in our C206 or C182.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Yes, come and see our SWEET twin turbine King Air...sitting there without engines as you taxi by it in our C206 or C182.

Oh. That is fucking hilarious.

It won't be long now. I hear it could be just a couple more months til its up again.

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"

It won't be long now. I hear it could be just a couple more months til its up again.

That's good. That line is still making me laugh though. :)
I like our Otter. :P

SKYDIVE DELMARVA!!!!!!

i've jumped at all of the above mentioned dz's, and i still call Delmarva my home. the "home" atmosphere that i have acquired there is like any other place. we are currently running a caravan, but our twin otter should be back in the next week or so.

and if you wanna check out some pics, we have fun around the dropzone :)
DELMARVAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's another vote for Delmarva. Although I could be a little biased, being on staff and all.:)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Hello,

I'd like to suggest "The Skydivin' Place" in Littlestown, PA.

Mapquest says we are about 1 hr. 15 mins from the Rockville area - just over the Maryland boarder.

We are a small safety minded one Cessna DZ that has a strong group of regular jumpers who are mostly into RW. We have a 'one big family' atmosphere and everyone gets to jump - new jumpers, old timers and skydivers in between.

Come hang out on cloudy days - we have a hot tub, basketball, volleyball, motorcycles, fencing, skeet shooting, juggling, a band, movies, BBQ grill, trampoline, creepers, showers, and anything else that you can think of to keep board skydivers busy.

I've been jumping with this group for 8 years and have always had fun and continue to learn new things.

If you visit on the weekend ask for 'Tom' and I'll be glad to show you around and make some jumps with you.

Good luck finding a new DZ home!

(Oh, I don't technically work there. I'm just a happy customer and one of the usual gang of idiots.)

Check out: www.skydivepa-md.com