noblesmelissa

Texas Skydiving Center?

Hey, all, was wondering what you thought of Texas Skydiving Center versus Skydive San Marcos?

So far I have done my AFF 1-5 at SSM. It's hard for me to get out there on the weekends (work in the restaurant business; weekends are hard to get off) and SSM is only open on weekends unless you bring in large groups with an appointment.

I booked a jump at SSM for 15 tandems plus my AFF and today I got a call saying that they are going to cancel my reservation because of pilot shortages.

I now have a choice: call up my 15 friends and tell them "Just kidding about that whole skydiving thing!" or find somewhere else to go.

I talked to Texas Skydiving Center and they seemed really friendly, are open throughout the week, and said they could get me in. Since I have never been there or heard of it I was just curious about other peoples experiences there. Is it a big DZ? Im thinking it must be...how can they afford to be open all week?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Well I wish that we could help you at Skydive Temple which is probably the closest just north of Georgetown in Salado but we are also a weekend DZ --- we do have a full time pilot and might be able to do a jump or 2 after 5:00pm ---
Give Rich (DZO) a call 254 947 DIVE

As for Skydive Austin or Texas Skydivng (they have a few different names) just ask around and you will find out plenty about the DZO and some of the past events.

I am sure she told you about how all the other DZs don't use USPA rated instructors -- well at both SSM and Skydive Temple only use USPA AFFI's and TIs

If you would really like the low down PM me

Both Skydive Temple and Texas Skydiving Center are small aircraft DZs. Skydive Temple is working on a super fast turbine but nothing confirmed at the moment.

If I had to chose Between SSM and Texas Skydiving Center --- Skydive San Marcos would win but give us a call and let us see what we might be able to do for you during the week 254 947 DIVE

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

There is at least one other resident of Round Rock who jumps; she said that she goes to Skydive Aggieland. They're open pretty regularly during the week, I believe. You can find them at 866-SWOOP-IN, or http://www.skydiveaggieland.com. Their website doesn't say anything about hours.

BTW -- this isn't an ad; I only jumped there during the last boogie. But, well, I do know one Round Rock person jumps there, because I went by last weekend, and was talking to her.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hey Melissa. I'm with Ali on the Skydive Aggieland. Gig 'em all the way! It's me who lives in RR and jumps in Bryan. It is a two hour drive out there, but well worth it. Aggieland is open on Wednesdays from 2pm-sunset, but any other day during the week (besides Fridays and the weekend), they are closed. Lexington is probably going to be out of the question since they only run one Cessna 182 (4 people max) at a time. I've never been there, but I've heard stories. Anyways, if you want more info on Aggieland or want to, just PM me. I'll give you whatever info I have...

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Give San Marcos another shot.
The pilot does have a life outside of skydiving, something important may have surfaced?

Try them again later this week or next week, your friends will understand, they went this long without jumping.....

And yes it sucks trying to get jumps in as a student,
be patient grasshopper:)

"GIVE 'EM THE AXE" - LIZZY

Give Texas Skydiving a try. We need more girls jumping out there! There are not many. I'm one. It's a small DZ, but everyone is very friendly. You will not regret it. Give Cindy a call at 1-800-UGO-JUMP and book your friends there. We'd be more than happy to meet you and your friends!

Kristina

Don't believe everything you read in these forums. I have jumped at Temple, Austin and College Station. The DZO's were friendly, competent and very open about their capabilities. I observed tandems at each location and the level of instruction was handled professionally by an instructor who seemed interested in the student and enjoyed what he was doing.

I see your problem as simply being open during the week when you can get there and the size of your group versus the equipment the dz has available.

As someone pointed out, Austin and Temple are currently Cessna DZs and can only handle one or two tandems on the plane at a time. (If the tandem wants a video, only one at a time since the plane capacity is 4 passengers). College Station has a larger plane (sorry I don't remember the capacity) and San Marcos has an Otter which can hold 21-23 at one time.

San Marcos can better handle a group your size so I would try to work with them. If you don't get a good feeling when talking with them, call Todd at College Station (Aggieland). He is a great guy and very personable.

I believe both DZs will bend over backwards to accomodate you and your group.

Good luck and blues,

Blue skies,

Jim

I am a jump master at Texas Skydive Center. We handle large groups of Tandems all the time, and 14 is no big deal for us. Yes we jump out of a C182, but we make it fun for the group as each person gets their turn. We have more staff on the weekend than we do on the week days (I am a weekend staffer). But I know for the last 2 fridays we've knock out groups of 14.

As far as AFF goes at Texas Skydive Center. I highly recommend giving us a try. We specialize in teaching people how to skydive and I think our AFF program is one of the best in the area. Learning to skydive at a smaller dropzone allows you to focus more on your learning in the early stages. Then moving on to the big Turbine Dropzones becomes more fun.

I hope to see you out there, and feel free to PM me about any details you wish.

Texas skydiving center is a great place to jump, it's a 182 dropzone with plenty of landing area. I drove 9 hours to do my AFF training there. They have great group of regulars and instructors! They will go way out of their way to accomodate you.

Blue Skys!

Melissa - sorry you feel we are not accommodating all your wishes and needs at Skydive San Marcos. We try hard to please but I guess "you can't please all the people all the time". Just for your information, when your booking was taken, we did not know that Ben (our Pilot) was going to leave that day for Alaska (to take up his new job).
If you want to reschedule for another Monday we would be delighted to have you and your party come and jump with us, however I encourage you to try other dropzones as well as I am sure you will find the experience enlightening.
Paul - DZO Skydive San Marcos

Please don't think that I was being negative...that wasn't what I was trying for!!:(

Brandy (the girl I talked to on the phone) was very nice and apologetic about canceling my reservation and I definitaly understand that stuff happens.

I love SSM; since I did my first jump there and my ground school that is where I will probably finish my AFF even though Texas Skydiving Center and Skydive Temple are both closer to where I live.

I simply don't want to cancel on all of my tandems and wanted somewhere else to take them so nobody has to shift around their work schedules. Most of the people I am taking work in the restaurant business with me and it is hard for us to get off on weekends since it is the busiest time at work.

I have had great experiences at SSM and I love the staff there. Im sorry if I came off negative; that really was not my intent.:)
Hope to see you soon!
Melissa

Attention - I am hijacking this thread for some personal issues:
B|B|B|CONGRATS Paul to your D!!!!
I just received the latest Parachutist and was pleased to see your name on the list!B|B|B|
Say hi to all the folks around.
Markus
Hijacking ends here.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

I booked a jump at SSM for 15 tandems plus my AFF and today I got a call saying that they are going to cancel my reservation because of pilot shortages.

I now have a choice: call up my 15 friends and tell them "Just kidding about that whole skydiving thing!" or find somewhere else to go.

This is a *rarity*! SSM puts up more tandems than any other DZ in Texas, by a pretty fair margin. I'd suggest rebooking; you won't have this problem a second time. And for a group your size, a huge benefit of a DZ with an operation like SSM is the number of tandems they can put on a single load -- your friends won't have to go up by themselves, but in groups of three-five at a time, which improves the experience greatly -- it's alot more fun to be scared with friends than scared by yourself, and then there's the thrill of watching your friends in front of you scream as they exit, and now it's *your* turn.... ;-)

I was trying to defuse some earlier negative comments about Temple and Austin.

Glad to hear you are handling larger groups. My comment was only to point out that if they wanted to jump on the same flight, to consider the location with the larger aircraft.

I like Lexington and have been there several times with the Otter. Tell Cindy I said hello.

Blue skies,

Jim