Thanatos340

WFFC Suggestions

My thoughts about WFFC:

I will not re-post all of the suggestions already made, but here are my thoughts.

1) some people have been talking about freefly load organizers... where was the tent? There were 9 organizer tents and on the map there were 12. I think the freefly tent was 10... are they trying to tell us something?

2) How about a white board posting the events of the day? This could include aircraft updates so that I didn't have to ask, when are the helicopters showing up so that I could use the jump ticket I bought Saturday and then had to trade in on Tuesday when they didn't show.

3) change the CD when it starts skipping

4) The shower facilities were AWESOME!

5) Raffles during the week?

Other suggestions have been great, esp. pro-rated entrance fee. I am willing to pay it, but I was bummed a lot of friends weren't there and they simply didn't want to pay that much to go for a weekend.

Blue skies and safe jumps!

4) The shower facilities were AWESOME!

Thanks to Me and the rest of the grounds crew to keep em clean (Man Sky Divers are some Hairy SOB's )

And that big arse Arrow Was also some of my doings my old man made it (isnt even done yet suposed to be like a weather vane but stuff happens) so yea

sorry to brag and what not but what ever

Blue Sky's Big Boobs and lots of Beer (MtDew in my case)
WFFC STAFF 2006
www.freefall.com
Questions? Call the office at 217-AAA-JUMP

I was on two of the DC-3 loads that this "crew" flew and it'll be the last time I jump with them. The first time it was obvious that they didn't have much experience flying jumpers by the terminology they used when explaining how to load the airplane. The spots were horrendous! On load number one I was in the second group to exit and decided to stick my head out the door and check the spot. We were still 2 miles out when someone in the front of the plane started shouting go while I'm shouting no.On the second DC-3 load the "pilot" decided to takeoff with a quartering tailwind. No big problem with lots of runway and you LOCK THE TAIL WHEEL!!!! As we proceeded to fishtail down the runway I could see the concrete, the asphalt and finally the grass pass under the wing joint! I guess ignorance is bliss as I was probably one of the few on that load who knew how close we came to groundlooping. I have a "few" jumps from Bill Dauses' DC-3 so I do have a point of reference.

Yeah, I went up to one of the people on one of the loads and asked him to get us some drinks while he was at WalMart!B|

Well said......all in all it seems that the WFFC has lost a lot since relocating from the big Q.

People can attend regional boogies. But the mother of all boogies used to be WFFC.

I know that there's a lot of behind the scenes red tape and hoops to jump through to arrange for the big bird's appearance!

But if you can deliver on the specialty aircraft then you're way ahead of the rest.

I've jumped the jet and the C130. Let me tell you that I'd drive 2000 miles to jump either. And for what it's worth....that C130 twas my fav!

I hope that the WFFC survives....however in it's present form it may not.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Don't go away mad....just go away!

I couldn't agree with you more Spence. Your post nailed it.

One thing that people may not realize is that often times, a DZO or event organizer is just passing on the info as it comes to him or her.
Earlier this year we had a contract for an Otter which never showed up. We gave the jumpers the exact info as it came from the aircraft owner. When the owner said the aircraft would be there, I believed him.

I was at Rantoul last year and have been to a couple WFFC in Quincy. I had fun, but not like years past. My worthless opinions:
Regional events like Dublin, Skyfest, Atlanta Freeflight Festival (shameless plug!), Summerfest are the new wave and provide serious competition for WFFC. Don must offer something you can't get at these events to stay on top.
WFFC can rebound, but not with $295 RV slots, $70 registration, $1000 vendor tents, and no convention video.
Jumpers are not going to have quality skydives with people that have less than 50 jumps not to mention the danger. Raise prices, lower quality, not a successful business model.
To return to former glory, they must have a jet with a reasonable lift ticket price and a helicopter with a kick-ass ride like the Bell 412 used to. Don might consider selling 1 or 2 of his fighter jets and buy a 727 or a Bell 412. 727 costs less than an Otter.

My hope is that it will come back because there was no vibe I have ever experienced like Quincy at it's height. Talking to 2 guys that had just arrived home after Quincy 1997 and hearing the stories actually got me to do my first skydive.

Trey
Atlanta Freeflight Festival Oct 27-30, 2005

http://www.skydiveatlanta.com
http://www.musiccityskydiving.com

A minor pet peeve of mine:

Make the convention sticker small again. The only reason it was full size was for the advertising around it. I realize that it probably helped pay for the printing, but it's less likely to go on peoples cars. If we have to pay $1 or $2 for an ad free sticker, it's worth it to me.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.