Thanatos340

WFFC Suggestions

And don't tell me that owners can clean up after their pets because THEY NEVER DO!!

Not true. Just ask Rev. Jim how I went out of my way to pick up after my dog.

I'd prefer having the dogs, but I have to agree that enough owners don't that it can become a problem real quick.

B) It would be hard to find a place with an airport with an area large enough for the jumpers and facilities but yet not full of air traffic.

Ahhh... You've never seen Muskogee, Oklahoma, have ya?

;)

The wink is for the old-timers
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

And don't tell me that owners can clean up after their pets because THEY NEVER DO!!

BS! My dog goes on command and anyone here that knows me will tell you that I always clean up after her. Also, she kicks butt as a skydiver!:P
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

BS! My dog goes on command and anyone here that knows me will tell you that I always clean up after her. Also, she kicks butt as a skydiver!:P

Shit your dog is far better trained and has more manners then 90% of the skydivers!!! :ph34r:

Im with Mary and Mike, when I had my two with, I ALWAYS cleaned up after them, I dont like walking into dog shit either..especially bare foot B|

In fact when Mar and I first met, we had a long discussion about our choices of poop baggies :ph34r:
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

In fact when Mar and I first met, we had a long discussion about our choices of poop baggies

OMG, that's right. We were out walking our dogs early one morning at WFFC, both of us with poop baggies in our hand talking about which bag is best.

Mike, your dog rocks, and she will let any one around know how great she is. Humm, maybe that's why we hang out with you Mike, just so we can be close to Cara:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I an vouch for Rose/Mary personally. Rose goes out of her way to hide to go poop, and Mary goes out of her way to still pick it up!

Mike and Renee I can vouch for as people. They are both the tops when it comes to being animal lovers and responsible pet owners. I'm sure, without a doubt, that they both clean up after their masters. ;)

There were a few that didn't though. I know who they were, and if it happens next year, I'll personally clean up after those pets. Really. I'm not telling where those droppings will be placed though.

Consider this your warning, and you know who you are...

Chuck, yes, the parties this year were kick ass, if you knew where to look, unlike Bolas. 10 nights, none in bed before 2:45, 2 not until after 6, and once I never did make it to my room. If tere was ever a time that I partied like a Viking, this was it! I'm going for a massive liver revolt be attempting a repeat next year!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

My first convention, so take my 2 cents for what it's worth:

* I agree with everyone on the pro-rated boogie fees. I was there for six days so it wasn't an issue with me for the fee, but I know some didn't go because it wasn't worth it for three days.

* Deliver the advertised aircraft or at least have an arrival schedule posted for all to see. The girls in manifest answered questions to the best of their knowledge, but we shouldn't have to ask on Wednesday "Where's the Pac?"

* Check the background a little better of the specialty aircraft-make sure the pilots really can fly. I didn't see a single spot from the DC-3 that was good for the entire load with some entire loads landing miles off. I landed 2 or 3 miles on the otherside of Wal Mart. In addition, the pilots damn near crashed that thing on take off because they forgot to lock the rear wheel for take off.

* Have a schedule of events for everything, swoop contests, RW contests, Wet T-shirts contests; all of it and stick to the schedule as best as possible. I never did see any CRW.

* Don't bump loads. My four-way and a six-way were all bumped from a CASA that we had already waited 25 minutes for in favor of Airspeed. We ended up waiting an hour for that lift. I didn't jump the CASA anymore after that.

* Kids on golf carts are a no no. Someone made the comment that none of them broke any limbs. Maybe not, but they don't recognize the common sense rules of the road such as pedestrians having the right of way. I almost got clipped twice by the same driver who wasn't a day over fourteen.

* Better security. The backgate was unmanned at night allowing anyone who wanted to come in; the gate by the hot showers was not manned and locals were coming in through there also.

* Better load organizing for loading the aircraft. It seemed that the owners of the aircraft were left in charge of this. The guys in the DC-3 kept saying, "Freefallers in first." Duh!

* I didn't have any problems with the dogs, but one owner liked to leave their dog in the vehicle during the day. Bad Karma comes your way.

Props to give:
* Putting that arrow up in the landing area and announcing the changes in direction. I landed by the spectators for multiple reasons, but the confusion of which way to land in that sometimes congested area was enough of a reason.

* Mobile IGA-what an outstanding idea. They could even expand it a little to sell camping gear. A lot of people went to Wal Mart for misc. things.

* Locals are great folks and the kids were great. I never expected that kind of reception upon landing.
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail

Not true. Just ask Rev. Jim how I went out of my way to pick up after my dog.

Careful on your wording. The responsible owners (like Mar) pick up after their pets so the rest of us non pet (dog) owners don't have to step is said pile of doggie lunch. Unfortunately, not everyone is responsible like that.
------
Michael

I think they need to raise the hard deck on pull altitudes. Personally i don't like having to pull in the 2500 foot range.

I'm sorry you have misinterpreted the maximum opening altitude, so I feel like I need to state it properly so others reading your post understand it.

Maximum altitude for a fully open canopy is 3000 feet, which means you select your deployment altitude to take into account how quickly your canopy opens.

Taking that into consideration there is no need to ever "pull" at 2500.

you have misinterpreted the maximum opening altitude

I think this is a VERY common miscomception. The WFFC needs to find some way to this more clear. I had always heard that you should not PULL above 3K.

It would seem that under these rules, Most people flying modern canopies could Pull at 3500 and still meet the requirement.

Better load organizing for loading the aircraft. It seemed that the owners of the aircraft were left in charge of this. The guys in the DC-3 kept saying, "Freefallers in first." Duh!

Do you mean "out first"? Otherwise I don't understand your problem.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Chuck, yes, the parties this year were kick ass, if you knew where to look, unlike Bolas. 10 nights, none in bed before 2:45, 2 not until after 6, and once I never did make it to my room. If tere was ever a time that I partied like a Viking, this was it! I'm going for a massive liver revolt be attempting a repeat next year!

I can vouch for the partys and rev jim never returning before 2:45 a.m (roomed with him) but un like some I had to wake up at 8:00 a.m so we had the on going bet at what time he would return and one night he didnt return at all
good show ;) rev jim

ttyl bro KM
WFFC STAFF 2006
www.freefall.com
Questions? Call the office at 217-AAA-JUMP

Hey bud, don't you need to update that profile? I think you have a jump now.... ;)

It was a good year to be me, a good year to be a jumper, heck, just a good year to be THERE!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I won money betting on when revjim would return at night (or the next day):)
Was my first convention came from nyc to help set up and volunteered during the convention too. Really had a blast mostly due to the people i met and worked with.

I had only 22 jumps when i arrived and did 5 coach jumps while at the convention. Gotta say I felt welcomed by everyone who went WAY outta their way to help me out and get me up. Talked to several AFF instructors/coaches and jumped with a great one too. Biggest thing I can say is that nobody made me feel that my inexperience was a reason not to jump but was every reason to get as much coaching and advice as possible.

I suppose I understand the wariness some might have over low time jumpers such as myself but all that i learned on the ground and in the air really made my convention.

It's "free fallers," not "free flyers." Hence the "duh." It's not wrong, it's just not useful information.

My point was that the guys running the DC-3 didn't seem to know what they were doing. They had to be told who gets in first before they even blurted the "freefallers" comment.

They gave a briefing before each load about what to expect from a DC-3, the jumprun, the light (which didn't always work), the spot, etc., but then when loading the plane they let others on the load that weren't there for the briefing (which the FAA got onto to them for).

I went on two loads on the DC-3. The first was amusing watching everyone trying to load and figure out what order to do it with no organizer. It's not bad on smaller planes, like the King Air, because you have less than 20 jumpers. The DC-3 held over forty.

My second (and last) was better, but that's when the freefallers comment came in. Those guys reminded me of the article in the last issue of Parachutist where they were talking about going up with pilots and only taking the pilots word for how they can fly. More than one plane didn't make it.

The FAA had to talk with these guys at least twice, as did the Air Boss.

david
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail

My thoughts about WFFC:

I will not re-post all of the suggestions already made, but here are my thoughts.

1) some people have been talking about freefly load organizers... where was the tent? There were 9 organizer tents and on the map there were 12. I think the freefly tent was 10... are they trying to tell us something?

2) How about a white board posting the events of the day? This could include aircraft updates so that I didn't have to ask, when are the helicopters showing up so that I could use the jump ticket I bought Saturday and then had to trade in on Tuesday when they didn't show.

3) change the CD when it starts skipping

4) The shower facilities were AWESOME!

5) Raffles during the week?

Other suggestions have been great, esp. pro-rated entrance fee. I am willing to pay it, but I was bummed a lot of friends weren't there and they simply didn't want to pay that much to go for a weekend.

Blue skies and safe jumps!
It isn't what it could be, or it what it should be, it is what it is.

I was on two of the DC-3 loads that this "crew" flew and it'll be the last time I jump with them. The first time it was obvious that they didn't have much experience flying jumpers by the terminology they used when explaining how to load the airplane. The spots were horrendous! On load number one I was in the second group to exit and decided to stick my head out the door and check the spot. We were still 2 miles out when someone in the front of the plane started shouting go while I'm shouting no.On the second DC-3 load the "pilot" decided to takeoff with a quartering tailwind. No big problem with lots of runway and you LOCK THE TAIL WHEEL!!!! As we proceeded to fishtail down the runway I could see the concrete, the asphalt and finally the grass pass under the wing joint! I guess ignorance is bliss as I was probably one of the few on that load who knew how close we came to groundlooping. I have a "few" jumps from Bill Dauses' DC-3 so I do have a point of reference.