poohbeer

Contact lenzes?

Starting my AFF coming Friday but I'm wondering how likely it is to loose one or both contacts.

I'm using soft weekly lenzes so loosing one doens't matter for the wallet, but if I lost both I simply cannot count my own fingers on a streched arm. Yes my vision is that bad. (-11 on both eyes)

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Well, obviously, your gonna need to jump with decent eye protection. More than just sunglasses or something. If your contacts stay in fine in everyday activities and light sports (running or whatever) then you should have no problems with your contacts coming out during a jump.

I've lost one of mine wearing Kroops goggles (with vents) while sitflying. I've never had a problem while belly flying. Get some good tight fitting goggles without the vent holes. You will be fine.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

You may want to bring a bottle of rewetting drops with you to the DZ- I find that my eyes sometimes get dried out.

There are a couple of things I ALWAYS have in my car: rewetting drops and 2 pair of contacts. But thanks for the tip!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Get some good tight fitting goggles without the vent holes.

I don't wear 'em, but I run into plenty of students that do. As previously posted, I have 'em wear good-fitting goggles, nice and tight, UNDER the helmet, and tape up the vents.

I haven't had a student lose a lens yet.
Arrive Safely

John

As somebody mentioned alread, Sorez will probably be your absolute best bet for goggles. Make sure you have them snug.

Oh, if you loose one in freefall, don't take your goggles off till you get back inside, since ususally it'll stick to the inside of the goggle.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

As somebody mentioned alread, Sorez will probably be your absolute best bet for goggles. Make sure you have them snug.

Oh, if you loose one in freefall, don't take your goggles off till you get back inside, since ususally it'll stick to the inside of the goggle.

I'm not planning on buying any gear untill I passed my AFF.
Putting (1 of) my contacts back in during flight would only be to get my visoon back to par.. the lens itself is worthless to me.

I will be grabbing me one off those glasses now though

I have no problems with mine. I jump with a full face most of the time, once the visor blew open and I still didn't loose a contact. Although they did get really dry on that jump. I also jump with a frap hat and a bone head wearing goggles like I said no problems, I have never lost one.

I'm not planning on buying any gear untill I passed my AFF.

I recommend that you invest ~$20 on a good fitting pair of goggles. I lost a lens on my level 1 using a pair of ill fitting kroops. Before I left the dropzone I bought a pair Torsan goggles. This is the best piece of safety equipment you can buy. Your vision is essential.

Shark
AFF-I

I wear contacts and have not had any problems with good goggles. If I were tolose one, however, my eyesight is good enough so it would not be a big deal.

Hor you I'd recommend:

1. Get good goggles
2. Carry glasses in your jumpsuit. You can put 'em on under canopy.
3. Get an audible in case you can't see your visual altimeter if you lose a lens.
4. Discuss with an instructor the tradeoffs of oulling high if you can't see versus relying on an audible.

Just my .02 from a very in-experienced jumper.

Putting (1 of) my contacts back in during flight would only be to get my visoon back to par.. the lens itself is worthless to me.

I will be grabbing me one off those glasses now though

Putting a contact back in while in the air would be impossible. Someone mentioned that they usually stay inside your goggles, and that's correct, but he didn't mention that they dry into hard little raisins that you have to soak awhile before you can put them back in. 120 mph wind takes the moisture out of them QUICK. Plus, you don't need that kind of distraction while flying. I like the idea someone suggested of carrying a cheap pair of glasses in your jumpsuit. With this, you could quickly toss your other contact and slip the glasses on while still paying some attention to what you're doing.

The last time I lost a contact, I was doing a short delay (10-15 seconds) with no goggles and just carrying a pair of Oakley's in my hand. Well lucky me, I had a spinning mal. I slapped the sunglasses on my head and chopped, remembering (to my dismay) as I pulled the cutaway that I had connected my RSL. So my reserve opened while I was still spinning on my back and I got a healthy riser slap upside the head, leaving me missing my contact in one eye and the sunglass lens over my other, and thus a fairly odd perspective on things. However I jump a pretty good-sized reserve, so it wasn't a big deal.

I've never lost both contacts on the same jump, and have even done a 30-way with no visor or goggles (visor took a foot on exit, was shredded and flapping around my helmet the whole jump). Still, it's certainly within the realm of possible. Losing one ain't too bad with a decent sized canopy and at least some experience. Losing both, or even just one while still a newbie, could be bad juju. I think I'll throw an old pair of glasses in my jumpsuit when I get done kicking myself for not having thought of that before.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I've lost a contact about 3 times or so. It's always been in the goggles. Under canopy i just put the contact in my mouth to keep it moist. I'm sure a coordinated person could put a contact back in while under canopy.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

from your speaking I think you have hard contacts..
figuring out which side is in or out on soft lenzes is already a pain with wind blowing besides you ;)

The spare glasses I have with me.. I'll ask the instructor 'bout it and see what he says

I'mm off to AFF now.. hope to see ya guys again on monday :ph34r:

figuring out which side is in or out on soft lenzes is already a pain with wind blowing besides you

I have soft contacts. I don't think it's a pain to figure out which side is in or out. Maybe its cause i've worn them so long.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I know you said you have soft contacts but I am posting this for anyone that might read this and have hard contacts. Wear a good tight pair of googles and do not take them off until you are standing in a spot where it's easy to locate a lost lens. I used to very carefully take my goggles off over a white towl since that would show the blue tint of the lens well. Of course it took me losing two Rose K lenses at ~$340 a pop to learn this. :$

-Blind

"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

figuring out which side is in or out on soft lenzes is already a pain with wind blowing besides you

I have soft contacts. I don't think it's a pain to figure out which side is in or out. Maybe its cause i've worn them so long.

Then you certainly haven't got -11 vison on both eyes ;)

For me it has been twice in 600 jumps, both time because of bad fitting goggles, got wind and tears in my eyes. First time I lost both, second time I lost one. Belly jumps.

But, I have also done some full altitude head-up jumps without goggles, and I didn´t :Slose my lences... So maybe it was just bad luck that I lost them when I had goggles!

mm, without goggles you offcourse close your eyes partially to prevent the winds from blowing into theml and bringing you to tears.

4 jumps and I haven't lost one yet, although a friend of mine says she's lost a couple durin her 5 & 10 second delays. It can happen on hard openings. Listen to these guys for advice, they know what they are talking about.B|

Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !