freeatlast

Skydive Lillo

Ok i've checked the previous posts and i've spoken to the nice people at the dropzone ... But a couple of questions to those that have been there already ...

As i'm on a budget ...

1.What's the best / cheapest way to the DZ - I saw a thing about smartcar rental (www.pepecar.com) but the site must be down ...

2.If car hire is too expensive (I'd rather spend £120 on jumps or accomodation) ... Whats the easiest way to the Dz - (train I'm guessing) and what's the likely journey time - I couldn't get the spanish rail site to tell me !!!

3.Any personal reccomendations for places to stay (good food / comfy beds / hospitable staff) ...

4. And Finally, - anyone else likely to be visiting between 20 - 26th July??? lol ...

Cheers

James

You know, there is a DZ search function on the site....

I'm kind of old-fashioned. I figure the person who posts the message ought to do so clearly enough so that everyone understands where "Lillo" is, rather than require that every person who reads the thread do a search function to figure it out individually.

1. Pepecar is really the cheapest way.. We paid about 19 Euro a day!
2. I think you can come by train, check their website for details..
3. Theresas Hotel is the way to go! Very nice accomodation with an old spanish lady, who speaks no word english :P Nice, but old interior.. You can use their kitchen for free (And she will even clean it up for you! lol.. Ok, you didn't hear this from me !:P) Call the dropzone if she has free rooms during that time you are visiting..
A supermarket is about 10 kilometers away and the (good) hospital is about 50 kilometers away (I broke my hand there, but thats another story..

Have fun there! The people are VERY nice!

Cheers,
Max

James see if someone will collect you from madrid ? it would probably be cheaper than a hire car.

Lillo is a small town but plenty places to drink and the other thing would be if you have a car you could visit the local area. Its about 1.5 hour drive from the airport in madrid not 45 mins.

The bunkhouse is about 5-6 euro's (£3.50) per night which is ok take a sleeping bag, loads off places to eat dz is quite cheap and good for food. I think you can get a train to town about 7kilometers away but i have never used it try the website http://www.skydivelillo.com/ and this part for lodgings but you have to book prior to arrivalhttp://www.skydivelillo.com/english/skydive.html as from other people well a lot off uk jumpers do Aff training as well as teams and freeflyers so you will not be short off beer companions. have a blast.;)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Cheers Max

Did you book the car through the DZ or was the website working before??

I'm definately looking forward to the trip ... The DZ looks nice and pretty much everyone i've spoken with who's been there has said it's a friendly place ...

I'll take a look at the hotel that you reccomended ...

james

The Freefall University is a Company based in Lillo ( for UK AFF students ) .

Our students tend to hire a car from pepecar, or easycar which is a spin off from easyjet.

http://www.easycar.com/aspx/nossl/default.aspx

Alternatley the trains are not complicated but you must arrive in Barajas by 6pm to meet the last train.

Another option is to email lamorna @ freefalluniversity.co.uk and check to see if we have any body making the trip the day you arrive. Include your flight arrival time . It may mean a wait but its possible that you can share the cost with other people.

Best wishes

David Cowman

http://www.freefalluniversity.co.uk

Hi David

How's life treating you - it's been a while since i ran into you in Zephyr Hills a year or so back (you had a student with you doing AFF if i remember correctly) ... But don't worry if you can't remember me - i was passing through the DZ and was only there a day or two ...

i have spoken to Lamorna - she emailed me about the Dz and the places to stay in the area - i'm hoping to bring my wingsuit with me and it looks like there'll be a couple of us now going so we may be able to split the cost of a car and accomodation.

But i will drop her a line to see if there's anyone else arriving at the same time ...

Do you still have accomodation available ?? - i have a vague memory of you saying that you had some houses that you were letting out to students etc ...

Anyhow thanks for all your help ...

James

Edited to remove a stupid question !!!

Hi,

James, to be honest i dont , but when i see you here I will prob remember you.. were you the guy who followed me and Adam out with a 3chip camera ?

Freefall University accomodation to my knowledge is full, but the place Theresa has is popular and although i havent seen it , i hear for what you pay its a good deal.

Splitting the cost of a car is the way to go...some of the back roads around here make for interesting boy racer type drives.

One of Skydive Lillos staff ( ask for Paula ) and some weekend jumpers are well into Bird Man jumps. Often they fly with the plane and get GPS readouts so they can tell their distance over the ground ( Paula is up to about 120mph forward speed ) .

Anyway look forward to seeing you.

David

http://www.freefalluniversity.co.uk

i dont know about car hire im afraid, dont drive so have to pay for transfers, which is about 70euros each way... ur probably better off getting a car, if the weather isn't great there isnt all that much to do in Lillo, but if you have a car it's not all that far to madrid (snowdome :))

i got the train on one trip, works out cheap like 10-15euros or something, but you'll still need to get from the station to the DZ which is about 15euros for a taxi/ppl from the dz to pick you up... if there's more than one of you it doesnt work out much more expensive to pay transfers...

accomodation wise im cheap so tend to go for the 8euro a night bunkhouse :) not that great but theres showers, cafe, bar etc. on the DZ so it's good enough... it's one big room with like 16 beds, seems safe enough the times ive stayed in there...

theresas house is ok, its only 10euros a night, u basically get what you pay for... nice enough people, but they dont speak any english (and my spanish isnt exactly great) and tend to lock up fairly early...

theres a really nice hotel in the town which is pretty chreap i think (although some people have had probs gettng in late at night when it's quiet- which i dont imagine it will be)...

i tend to prefer the cheap accomodation more jumps option...

we're gonna be there 8-13th which isnt all that much good...

PM me if you want any more info...

I've been to both Lillo and Empuria . While there may be more to do at night in Empuria, there is a great atmosphere at Lillo and we alawys find stuff to do in the evenings. Also, Madrid is only 45 minutes away with some excellent night life.
And camping is free on the DZ. I am returning for a week next month - for the 7th time in just over a year!

Hey...

just got back from Lillo the day before yesterday. I don't know what your needs are, but it sounds like budget is paramount. Therefore, skip the car hire. (In my DZ review I say hire a car, but it's not essential - town is walking distance).

Bunkhouse is absolutely fine, but as someone else said - take a sleeping bag (and pillow), it gets cold in the small hours of the morning. Also take a sheet or bag liner, it gets hot before it gets cold ;)

Since you don't have a car, you can try this costing:

Train from Madrid to Villacanas (about an hour): E6.90
Lift from Villacanas to Lillo (5 mins): about E15

So, you're looking at about 44 euros return, which is roughly half of what they charge to pick you up from the airport (one way). Which makes it the way to go unless you have three others to split the costs with. Keep in mind that Villacanas train station was closed on the Sunday when I got there, so you will need to arrange your return ticket in advance if you're not returning on a work day.

All in all Lillo is a laugh and a half, I had a ball there and will be back as soon as I can convince MrsCoaster to come with me. If you're worried about the nightlife I think you're doing the skydiving part wrong, but there is stuff to do at night, assuming you like drinking and eating and maybe dancing. The DZ is full of friendly people and if you're going for instruction, then FFU are a truly class act.

Skydive Lillo is my new Happy Place.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I advise strongly not to go to lillo, it is in the middle of nowhere,nothing to do, if bad weather then it is fxxxked, the hotels are bad and expensive, food not good!! I would advise Empuria as the choice, lots going on, lots of planes, twin otter,kingair there at the mo, and 2 porters, right next to the beach and lots of good bars and restaurants, good instruction, go with Freefall company, ask for either Andy or kevin and they will help you out on end!!! Trust me!!! cheap accomodation in the bunkhouse 12 euros, or even better nimbin which is run by Paul guerteen, has a set up which is really nice, 15 euros a night, and just perfect!!

Hope i can help

Yeah, I wouldn't do it either if I were you. That place is in the middle of nowhere, I mean Arizona looks like a built up area compared to that. Night life is zero. Constant bickering going on between instructors and staff. There ain't no train station and you have three other A1 alternatives in Spain. Ampuriabrava is tops, but it's busier than the Lincoln Memorial on the 4th July, you gotta fight your way onto a load in summer; Bollulos near Seville awesome and near THE CITY FOR FUN and then you have the www.letsgoskydive.com guys at Ocania, nearer to Madrid, better instalations and real pros. Check out their page. Next time I go over to Europe that's where I am gonna be. Hope this helped.

I love the way someone asks a specific question about certain aspects of Dropzone 'A', and gets fifty responses all saying, "go to Dropzone B several hundred miles away! It has Thing X! But not as good as DZ C another hundred miles away, and is like Y!"

The guy wasn't asking about which dropzone to go to in Spain, he was asking about car rental and accommodation. In Lillo.

[edit: Claiming the bunkhouse at Empuriabrava is "cheap" at 12 euros is pretty funny in a thread about SD Lillo, where last I looked it was half that. *shrug*]

Back on-topic... oh wait, he's already got the information he wanted. Ching! Maybe we can all find something else to discuss... like name-checking all the rad places we've been in some other thread!

Dropzone.com... bless.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Well, Joel, since you state that Lillo is your home DZ, maybe you're not 100% objective about this. Just trying to help and give an opinion that of course can be taken into consideration or not, because Spain is still a free country, right? So people can go wherever they want and give an opinion within ethical and legal boundaries. In fact the whole idea behind the Forums is that people give their opinion. In the States we call it "Freedom of Speech". New concept, perhaps? You should try it. It results in democracy, human and civil rights and FREEDOM which is what skydiving is all about or perhaps I'm wrong?

In the States we call it "Freedom of Speech". New concept, perhaps? You should try it. It results in democracy, human and civil rights and FREEDOM which is what skydiving is all about or perhaps I'm wrong?

the concept is not new, the topic is moving... But his point is not about freedom of speech, but about freedom to talk just for talking... The original poster asked questions about a DZ because he was going there. Some people replied go to the other DZ (which is absolutely not the same place) it's much better... Like if I say I am going to Seattle and want to jump in Kapowsin and you say NO WAY, go to Perris, it's much better... Understand my point ?? :P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM