mdrejhon

Planning travel to Virgina, probably Aug. WHICH - Skydive Orange _OR_ Skydive Virginia?

Hi,

I am looking to travel to Virginia for various reasons, probably August (or late July).

These would be bonuses:
- Open during weekdays
- Has a camping area

However, if either Skydive Orange or Skydive Virginia (or another good area dropzone) is planning a really cool boogie, I may fudge the dates around or pick one or the other.

Who I am able to jump with may dictate things. It looks like Skydive Virginia would be the one to go to (heard of some people who go there, that I would like to meet). Also heard of those "jump-all-you-can" boogies, do those happen at either place? I tried checking calendars, but didn't see anything at Skydive Virginia's website, but I heard about the August 19-21st boogie at Orange. Although the $17 weekday Super Otter jumps are indeed very tempting, I could "jump my ass" off at that price...

(Please don't flame the "other" dropzone. Just say what's interesting about a specific one. I'm just looking for opinions about my upcoming trip).

I'll certainly have my "A" or "B" by then, and my own rig by then too. Expect me to be at my 60-70th jump by then.

So.... Skydive Orange or Skydive Virginia? Boogies? Plans? More likely to have people interested in jumping with me?

We're flying a C182 at Skydive Virginia right now. We're a fun and friendly small DZ but if you want to get in a bunch of jumps and hang out with a larger crowd then head over to Orange and enjoy some Otter time. Keep your eyes open for when we get the King Air back up.

Edit after finishing reading you post: No we don't jump during the week, just some impromptu Fridays. No boogies or events planned right now.

Peace,
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Check out Skydive The Point in West Point, VA. We jump an Otter all summer, with some Friday afternoon jumps from a C-182. We're going to have a helicopter the last weekend in August, and the weekend after Labor Day is going to be a really huge boogie weekend...100-way state record attempts starting on Thursday Sep. 8, with 3 Casa's and an Otter. Boogie weekend will follow up to celebrate Carol Clay's birthday, and her 15,000th jump. We'll be having Roger Ponce organizing, and some low-time organizing as well. Who knows, we may get in some freefly organizing, and of course, really awesome parties! It's going to be a really amazing weekend.

Besides that, we do have plenty of space to pitch a tent, and anyone will jump with you here. I've heard nothing but great things about Orange and Skydive Virginia as well, but haven't been there. Drop me a line if you decide to come out and see us.

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

If you're planning on a trip to VA in August, you've got to come to the Orange boogie! It will be a rocking good time, complete with a couple of planes, a helicopter, and plenty of other cool things that aren't quite finalized yet.

As far as weekday jumps at Orange, during the summer they're usually at least flying Cessna loads during the weekdays, and sometimes Otter loads. The weekday schedule's up on the website.

But Orange is definitely gonna be the place to be near the end of August!:D

Great to hear!

If I go in late August, definitely the Orange boogie is attractive. However, the offer of a friend to host with me for a specific dropzone can easily dictate things, or a group of jumpers.

You've all given me some great info to continue researching from. Plenty of time to decide and plan. I'll need to know the date of my non-skydiving travels but I have a little bit of flexibility to fudge the date around to coincide with skydiving-related circumstances...

PS -- Adrock -- Although I'll have the "A" by then, I am not sure I'll yet have the "B" necessary for a helicopter jump (don't you need a "B" for heli jumps though?). Although I'll definitely have a bunch of hop-n-pops by then, and probably well beyond 50 jumps...