Joellercoaster

Best place to spend a week doing AFF in the UK?

Hey all.

A couple of years ago now, I went through most of AFF in Australia but didn't have enough money to graduate (stage 9 and consolidation jumps).

I now live in London, and have a week of vacation that my girlfriend doesn't. I figure this is a perfect opportunity to do AFF again somewhere this Spring or Summer, and this time make sure I have the time and money to do it right.

In theory I can go anywhere within reason, though I'd prefer to stay in the UK, and I'm wondering where would be a good place. It wouldn't have to become my regular DZ, so proximity to London isn't a big deal. Price isn't either, though obviously when there's £300 difference (which I've seen on DZ websites here already) that's a lot more consolidation jump tickets!

So far Hinton and Langar sound nice from their reviews, but I'm totally open to suggestions right now. Any and all advice gratefully received!
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Go to Empuriabrava.

Mainly for the weather.

Check out their DZ on the links above.

Cheap flights from Stanstead, cheap bunkhouse, cheap beer.

Edited to add, Empuriabrava is in Spain.
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

The UK weather isn't very reliable, you could take a week off and not jump at all.
Thats why I've booked to go with Freefall University, based at Lillo in Spain.
They seem to get excellent reports and recommendations. Good value for money.
Flights are cheap from Gatwick, I got mine with EasyJet for £40 return.

"Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"
- Abraham Lincoln

Come visit us at RAPA in Germany the only BPA DZ in mainland Europe.

You can fly from Stansted or Southampton to Paderborne, which is litrerally 15 min form the DZ (I'll pick you up myself).

We are open 7 days a week, have all the facilities you need and cheep beer.

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Thanks all!

I'm not determined to stay in the UK - in fact, the more I think about it, the more I'd like to go somewhere else. I should take every chance I get to travel, which was the whole point of us moving to London in the first place.

Since flying to Spain is cheaper than catching a train to the North anyway, why should I risk having my carefully-planned AFF week get rained out?

Empuriabrava looks pretty sweet (can't beat the view either) and is definitely the frontrunner - what's the weather in Germany like in June, though?
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I've never been to empuria, so could be talking out of my arse here, but i've heard they have an interesting landing area which can be tricky (only from what i've heard), which may not be great as a student.

If you're cool for traveling i can definately recommend the beautiful Sebastain in florida. My most favourite DZ in the world. The views are amazing, the people rock, the landing area is huge, the training is second to none and the parties are awesome! :)
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

If you decide to stay in the UK then Hinton (my home DZ) is a great place. The people are friendly and the facilities, landing area,coaching... are all excellent. But as will always be a draw back in the UK you are taking a risk with the weather and could spend a week watching DVDs and playing with the dog at the DZ!

I definately have to agree with Zeemax Sebastian is amazing, the people, facilities and especially the view are second to none. I did my AFF over there (so may be biased) and cant imagine a better place to go.
Because of the great weather you can jump almost as much as you want and there is no danger of not finishing your consoles. This means that you have the opportunity to go the wind tunnel in Orlando or just see the sites.
I was there over New Year and even at such a busy time of year i managed to get some pritty cheap tickets and that combined with cheap skydiving meant it didnt break the bank.

The landing site at Emupriabrava is sweet. about 150metres wide and 6/700m long. Fields all round with the town to the south.

http://www.skydiveempuriabrava.com/skydive.html

Visit this URL, then click on "the centre" and then "installations" finally click on landing area to see a picture.
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

Although the weather in Ampuria is generally good (how else to they do 100000+ jumps a year) it isn't guaranteed there either. Often high winds, generally affecting students more.

The landing area is long and thin, the wind generally blows along it though so landing isn't THAT difficult. Typically if it blows across then a jump number limit will apply (depending on the speed)

More of a consideration might be if you don't complete it in a week how easily can you continue. That's a powerful reason for staying in this country. If you had 2 weeks then you should easily be able to complete it abroad but with 1 week you might find yourself unlucky with the weather.

A couple of other points to consider about cost. What else is included, I know some of Langars AFF courses include some gear. Various levels of gear, ie (i)none, (ii)helmet, googles, glove, alti (iii) above + custom jump suit. Be sure to check out what is included when comparing costs.

Another consideration is the cost of repeat levels, some places charge full cost others just the cost of tickets (generally a higher cost course will have cheaper repeats and vice versa)

Video can be another consideration (you learn a lot more from video) I doubt anywhere doesn't have video anymore (?) Sometimes its done by the instructor(s) other times (if mid week and quite) by an external cameraman which can provide a more useful view. If you're going to be there on quieter mid week days then thats more likely, if say the plane is going up with spare slots on it then a staff camera might be given the slot.

You probably will carry on going where you learn't, at least for a while so somewhere you can get to will help. Beats turning up at a new dropzone having just done AFF elsewhere and not knowing anyone else.

I dont think there is much in it..!...HIBALDSTOW
A fleet of aircraft...a can do and progressive attitude.....
If the weather is good....you'll get up, they have the resources, staff and aircraft to support that......every day except Tuesday.
Clean and tidy bunkhouse.....great bar......and plenty of facilities
I live in London too and dont think a jot about travelling up there......I know if its jumpable....they will put you up and really take care of you.....they have a very serious customer service vibe going on.....best I have seen at 6 UK DZ's I have been to.

Nuff said
www.skydiving.co.uk

(and no I dont work for them.....but have seen what they do !)

The weather in Germany in June is great.

The landing area here is huge 800m x 1000m

You can fly to Paderborn from Stansted for as little as £35 return, and we are only 15 min from the airport unlike Empuria.

Becks gold is 75p a bottle in the bar.

I forgot to mention that we are primarilty a student DZ, that is to say we have 45 student come through the centre every 2 weeks averaging 8 jumps a piece.
So you can rest assured that you will be well looked after as a student.

Buzz

Personally, I dont think the landing area at Empuria is that great for students. Talking from past experience. Don't get me wrong, it isnt too bad. I know others share my view........
-------------------------------------------------
Woooaaaaaa!!! Woooaaaa!!! I'm gettin' off it!

If leaving the country is not that big of an issue for you, I'd honestly recommend Russia. A hell of a lot cheaper than Empuries, and you can get lots of jumps in at real low prices :)

(I've jumped at Empuriabrava... great though expensive DZ, love the sea view out of an open door (I wisely chose a by-door seat :)), though if the wind is across the narrow excuse for a strip of a field they call a landing area, accuracy becomes an important factor. Wouldn't do AFF there simply because of the outrageous prices.)

This is all good info! I'm adding to my list of DZs to visit anyway, even if it's making the initial decision harder.

I now have another consideration, however. A friend is going to be staying on our couch for a month or so in that period, and travelling around Europe. He can't skydive (spectacularly reconstructed knee), but would like to hang out. And my girlfriend has decided she wants a break too, and would like to come with me (probably doing some tandems).

With that in mind, Empuriabrava is looking like the way to go, despite prices and possible wind. They'd be able to see a bit of Spain, snorkel and lie on the beach or paintball or tandem whatever while I'm doing AFF, and we'd still get to lounge and hang out at night.

Otherwise, RAPA was sounding good - and may still be the way if Em can't get leave and my mate from Australia changes his plans. And I'll visit UK dropzones after I'm off student status, and am not quite so reliant on getting in the air each day to progress :P
--

Yah. Freefall University at Lillo sounds *perfect* for my needs... but the reviews on dz.com did complain a little about Lillo as a venue for doing anything other than skydiving. SO I'm left with the same dilemma I had with RAPA.

Worth thinking about though, and they sound very pro-student on their website :)
--

There is a fair bit to do at RAPA other than skydiving.

We are not far from Hanover, Dortmund, Frankfurt, Hamburg, and even Berlin. Also we have a very good Spa on our doorstep with excellent facilities.

Tandems are also well priced over here E210 inc vid thats £150 not many palces do them that cheep.

Buzz

As a former student and now A licence holder, that reseearched all the best options for a UK student in europe, I took my AFF at the FreefallUniversity.co.uk and have been back since then to complete my consoles and just about to book to go again, I would highly recommend the FF Uni at Lillo.

It all depends on whether you just want a holiday that you can skydive on, or if you wanna skydive and fit in some holiday. I highly recommend the FFU for students, Barry "Yoda Master" Maple was the most conscientous, considerate, down to earth, friendly & experienced instructor I have met, & a master rigger too. Seriously dude, if you are at student status go here, the landing zone is as safe as a fussy b'stard like me would want, you dont have to deal with the wind that Empuria has been known to have (Student Yes!) and there is plenty to do off the DZ if you care to take yourself away from all that sky & fly, last time I went to lillo I also learned to snowboard (on real snow) in between the best jumps and the crew there are friendly & fantastic company, everyone is willing to care and share their experience and thoughts, there are a range of options too, it was warmer, the skies were clearer and it was cheaper than the UK including accomodation, couldn't recommend them enough go there now dude and fly, www.freefalluniversity.com

Happy landings

I did AFF at Empuria in Februrary - the weather definitely guarenteed, but they were great at getting me through on the days which were good enough, and I saved enough money on the cost of AFF to actually find it didn't cost hardly anything more than it would have at my local DZ, flights and accomodation are so cheap (although a tad more expensive in June - have just booked my return trip!)

Travelling only took a little longer than it does to get from some parts of the UK to the other anyway! ;)

(not that I'm at all biased about this...)

Oh, and the landing area, I found fine, it's quite straightforward, but true, it's not overly wide - had a friend land on the runway. Doh!

For what it's worth, although I haven't booked yet:

I've decided to go to FFU at Lillo, and jump at Empuria afterwards if I'm still in Spain (which is likely, or I'll be back shortly afterwards). A bit more research has really impressed me with their pro-student approach.

I'd like to get my whole license done at Lillo, but if I can't, I can't. Consols at Empuria or back in the UK or something.

This puts a bit of a kink in the original plan to hang out with my GF and friend on the beach while I was jumping, but the idea was to learn to skydive. That's the most important bit to me, and dammit, it was my holiday first :D
--

im just back from a trip to lillo where we took our own instructor scotty milne with us. brillant weather and great instructing. kind of lacking in the after jumping activities though. the weather makes up for it by being amazing however!

you can catch him at langar, go to: www.activeskydiving.com to get in touch with him.

hi lizzie by the way :P
www.ewancowie.com
www.facebook.com/ewancowiephotography