trabel

Aero Commander 500

I am interested in finding out if anybody has any experience or thoughts, on using an Aero Commander 500b for skydiving operations.
The passenger door appears to be to be very close to the propeller for safe jumping, however I have no backrgound on skydiving or flying this particular aircraft so thoughts from either (skydivers or pilots with skydiving experience) would be appreciated.

Thanks

Just looking at pictures on google makes me think it wouldn't be anyone's first choice for a jump plane. Jumping with my head in between the fuselage and the left nacelle would take some getting used to. I also don't like the fact that a standard front-of-door tracking exit would put your head about a foot away from the prop with nothing in between, but I don't think there's a real chance of a prop strike there. Short answer, if I had more than one place to choose from, and one was flying the AC500, I wouldn't jump there.

Your first instinct is correct.
The forward crew door is ahead of a propeller and way too close for safe jumping because it presents too high a risk for prop strikes.

The aft passenger door is safer because it is slightly aft of the propeller, but still uncomfortably close.
You could launch a few experienced jumpers from the rear passenger door but it is a bit small for students. I do not have door dimensions and wonder if the aft door is big enough for tandems.

The other issue is operating costs. For the similar engine operating costs, you can stuff twice as many jumpers into a Britten-Norman Islander or a pair of Cessna 206s. Islander and 206 cargo doors are popular with tandem instructors.

The only place I can see an Aero Commander being profitable is if you get a turbo-charged version and operate it out of an airstrip high in the mountains. Low purchase cost will be your primary advantage, but maintenance will be expensive in the long run.

There was an AC 500 at the first big event at Lost Prairie, 1981 I think but I would have to check my logbook. It was jumped all weekend but floater volunteers were difficult to find. Not a first choice jump aircraft but it can be done...

The Air Force Academy also used a pair of Aero Commanders as jumpships in the 1960s-70s before acquiring Twin Otters. I never jumped those but there are lots of jump photos at the Academy.

There is a link to an article about the Academy skydiving planes below, called a U-4B by the Air Force. Interestingly, they were used for presidential travel before they went on to skydiving duty:

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/MuseumExhibits/FactSheets/Display/tabid/509/Article/195799/aero-commander-u-4b.aspx

johnhking1

Back in the late 1970's, there was a guy in upstate New York who occasionally flew one for skydiving but it wasn't a regular DZ jump plane.

Correct.... johnhking1

His name was J. Bateman..
He had a farm with a runway . That place was a DZ.. for a short time,,, using a C180 which belonged to the DZO. The property owner had the Aero and flew a load occasionally... I jumped it ONCE...at another local dropzone.... and that was enough..;). slow climber as I recall...[:/]
I think we put 6 jumpers in it...
Plane AND Pilot were lost during a crash on the day of an airshow at our City Airport ( ROC ) . A Beech 18 from the airports flying club AND the Aero-Commander were set to fly loads of local jumpers. I was with the group manifested for the Aero, and we waited,,, and WAITED,, for it's arrival...Soon got the word that he'd crashed upon departure from his grass strip about 20 miles away... This was during the late 70s...I believe there was a fuel starvation issue, and always thought, what would have happened, had he Made it to the show, and We boarded,,, and THEN.......[:/] that problem showed itself...:(
My group did our skydive from the Beech.. R I P ..... J. Bateman :(

jmy