nansaidh

most common injuries?

Hi,
Im a highschool girl doing a report about skydiving and common injuries of diving. Ive found surprisingly small amount of information about the subject. As usual, Ive waited till the last moment to ask(the report is due this Friday!). Can anyone tell me the most common injuries? Leg from landings, back injuries? Head Injuries? Thanks!
Yours in adrenalin, Nan

The most common injury is to the bank account. Second, would be alcohol posioning and liver problems. Third would be damage to relationships with non-skydiving spouse. Minor injuries include - hangovers and loss of memory.

Hope that helps.

The most common injuries.... hmmm in my own case bruises... big ugly black and blue ones. I really hate no wind or low wind days. But then again I just started jumping again after 22 years of not jumping (Oh is my kid and ex pissed ....just a couple of wussies). Second most common injury is to my pride... and butt planting a landing I should have been able to run out on aforementioned no wind landings.

Amazon

The types of injuries will depend on the "Type" of skydiving the person is doing. For example: Teams- lots of stress on joints and exits. Shoulder and elbow injuries (scrapes and strains). Load organizing: everything from being hit in the air to twisted anckles on the ground. CRW (Canopy Relitive Work) (don't know to much about this because you have to be crazy to want to touch someone under canopy... :P ) Swooping: impact injuries. Hitting the ground or water at a high rate of speed. Even just brushing the ground/water at those speeds will give you a nice little burn.
Then you have hard openings: back and neck injuries. Twists and sprains to dislocated shoulders.
Camera/Video person: neck and back injuries. With the extra weight on your head and a hard opening. OUCH.
Now, the everyday stuff. Anckles and knees with hard landings. With the wind, no wind, down wind, cross wind, you name it people can get injuried.
Hope that it help to answer some of the questions.
Patrick
P.S. Yes, I have had a couple of injuries doing DUMBASS stuff.

Airborne
Blue Skies, No Wind
Feet and Knees Together

Skydiving.... the only sport where Femer is a verb.

I've seen broken legs, dislocated sholders, broken arms, ankle injuries, and the most severe of them all.. death in only 3 years. Injuries vary person to person. I've walked away from a few things I should'nt have and busted up my ankle on a fairly simple but botched landing.

USPA can get you the official numbers, but leg injuries are common.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Broken egos, always at least one busted ego on a first jump course.B|

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Sprained ankles are the most common, followed by tibia, fibula and various knee injuries.
The worst landings break femurs, but you really have to mess up to break a femur.

For example, I have sprained my left ankle twice. Sprained my left knee twice. Now it has a loose ligament and a weak tendon.
I herniated a disc in my lower spine.
I sprained my left thumb twice.
Non-specific dermatitus from packing.
Too many pin pricks from sewing, even put the sewing machine needle through my finger a few times.
Non-specific shoulder aches from first-generation tandem openings, etc.

"CRW (Canopy Relitive Work) (don't know to much about this because you have to be crazy to want to touch someone under canopy... )"

That's like saying that you're crazy to want to skydive. It's the lack of knowledge that makes people think it's nuts. Do a search for CRW in any forum look at the context in which it's written. I don't get it. People are so freaked by CRW but so ready to downsize and swoop.

Edit to say: STOP LOOKING AT ME!!!!
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

"CRW (Canopy Relitive Work) (don't know to much about this because you have to be crazy to want to touch someone under canopy... )"

That's like saying that you're crazy to want to skydive. It's the lack of knowledge that makes people think it's nuts.

Well DJL, it is just something that I don't do and yes, I have several friends who do and I tell them that I am way to scared to do it. Of course, if you want to come on out at about 1000 feet and try some under a round, please, call me... Airborne... :P

Airborne
Blue Skies, No Wind
Feet and Knees Together

A complete list of my skidiving injuries is as follows:

1. Walking from the car to the bonfire (drunk) and fell in a hole twisting my ankle.

2. the next weekend I fell out of a tree (drunk) and twisted the same ankle, 3 years later and its never fully recovered.

3. got a blister once from packing.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"

Only if the plane were on fire.

THAT's where skydive injuries come from. My best friend's dad told me the story about when he was the only one without a broken bone on an f'd up night drop in the desert. Someone fucked up and they were low on what was already supposed to be a low altitude jump. He got line stretch and looked down in time to see the cactus he landed in. Just about everyone else got a rock.

Alright, I'd try it once.

PEACE,
Doug
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher