jasminegolightl

San Francisco - places to jump

Hi! I and a friend will be in the San Francisco area on March 8-9 (tues & wed). I'd like to get some jumps in and my friend wants to do AFF.
Does anybody have fave DZs to recommend? As I understand it, Byron is closer but Monterey Bay has a fantastic view from freefall. Also, what's the weather like in March there? (good jumping weather? or if not, are we better off heading south/quick flight to LA and then to Perris?)

Thanks!
~Josephine

My vote is Byron (www.bayareaskydiving.com)...but I'm partial, I did my AFF there and the majority of my jumps. Although, we're not open on Tuesday, so my next vote would be Hollister (a lot of us go there when the weather isn't good). It should only take you guys no more than an hour or so to get to both dzs from the city. Call them before you go so you can see if they're doing an AFF course that weekend. As for the weather, it's generally good in March both places, but you can always either fly down south or drive (about 7 hours) if it's not.

The view is REALLY nice at Monterey, but there are a lot more upjumpers at Byron; it's just a really good vibe. The View-San Francisco and rolling hills all around (not too shabby). Hollister you get a lot of the same views as Monterey-the beach, hils, etc...

Look me up when you get out here!
Peace

on a weekday the PAC might not get up too many times though. More likely to be on the 182.

From my limited days bumming around in the fall, Lodi seemed most reliable, probably because they do their AFF training on weekdays. I drove out there on a Wednesday after getting winded at Byron (3 attempts and still no luck) and got in 2 runs easily in the afternoon.

Monterey is only open on weekdays to appointments, which your AFF friend would be. That would be on the 206T, which I didn't like as a student (we went to only 11k), but I like since, since the side door gives a great view on the way up. Much better than the tiny portholes on most of the turbines.

Hope the weather favors you on your visit - it's hard to predict March weather.

Byron, Lodi, Hollister and Davis should be good on weather in March.

Lodi is opened on Tuesday.

I'm from Byron, so I'm a little partial to that.

You should put a shout out when the time gets close. If we get a small group together willing to play hookie from work, you should have tons of fun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!