heidihagen

Houston Skyventure

wahoo! it's coming next month!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):)pulled form the web:

The Zero-G Room, LLC is a partnership of three "Rocket Scientists" from Clear Lake. Dennis Engelbert, Joaquin Andujo and Stephen Messersmith have over 45 years combined experience at the Johnson Space Center as engineers on the Space Shuttle and Space Station programs. The Zero-G Room will have at its center a 100-foot structure that includes a 12 foot, open flow, 1000 HP SkyVenture vertical wind tunnel. The Zero-G Room is coming to Houston! – Look for the opening February 2005. You won’t want to miss this!
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

I was driving by the other day and saw no sign of construction going on. I was told it would be constructed in the Space Center Houston parking lot. Nothing yet.

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.
-BASE 1605 Night BASE 227

Yeah, I'm not going to hold my breath (although I would kill to have one here), I'm not going to assume that it will be built and when it will be finished until I hear the engines cranking up.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm having that feeling on a lot of the tunnels that are to be going up. Houston, Raeford, New Hampshire, Colorado, all the CA tunnels... Until the motors are spinning I don't believe they are really opening. Market saturation will be reached in no time if they all open. At least when they start closing you can buy the parts cheaper and move them.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Don't forget Dallas. There has been a lot of talk about a Skyventure going in somewhere in or around Arlington (near Six Flags, Wet and Wild, The Ballpark and a LOT of convention centers) as well. I honestly doubt Texas could support two Skyventures.

So although I'm excited about the prospect of having two tunnels within a 3 hour drive and more tunnels opening up around the US, I agree that the saturation limit is pretty low and success will eventually kill off a lot of skyventures opening up...[:/]

Don't forget Dallas. There has been a lot of talk about a Skyventure going in somewhere in or around Arlington (near Six Flags, Wet and Wild, The Ballpark and a LOT of convention centers) as well. I honestly doubt Texas could support two Skyventures.

So although I'm excited about the prospect of having two tunnels within a 3 hour drive and more tunnels opening up around the US, I agree that the saturation limit is pretty low and success will eventually kill off a lot of skyventures opening up...[:/]

The original site was supposed to be near Grapevine Mills Mall, but I can't find anything on it anymore.

As for Texas supporting two tunnels, I don't think that the US can support as many tunnels as have been planned. I talked to Skyventure about putting a tunnel in around Dallas several years ago. Even went out to Orlando and visited with them and started putting together numbers. The numbers were tough when Orlando was the only other Skyventure. Now with so many scheduled across the country, I'm not sure that any location that isn't already a major skydive training mecca could make it. According to Skyventure at the time 75% of their volume was experienced skydivers. Their big money makers were the organized tunnel camps and team training camps that included tunnel time. At the time they were attracting jumpers from around the world, but of course now each tunnel will primarily draw just jumpers from their region. Obviously more jumpers will now have a tunnel within driving distance, but I don't believe that Texas can really support a tunnel without additional marketing expense to increase the whuffo traffic. Perris, Eloy and Orlando all have the ability to draw skydivers for their training camps, so a tunnel is another asset that will enhance that draw. Texas on the other hand, while there are some great skydivers here, there just isn't the competition training that occurs in AZ, CA or FL.

I honestly doubt Texas could support two Skyventures......[:/]

yeah, sorry about that. i asked when i was at the dropzone sunday an d they said there isn't a market for it.... houston needs more tourist. the location is perfect though if it ever does go up. i did get an email saying they are shooting to open up in the 4th quarter (this year) but if they haven't even broken ground... well, i'm not holding my breath. sorry for getting everyones hopes up (including my own!) :$ heidi
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

the new L1 Silent, Multi-Level Tunnel is scheduled to open early summer at Memorial City Mall. The tunnel has been purchased and the lease has been signed. This tunnel is happening in just a few months. No need to hold your breath.

the new L1 Silent, Multi-Level Tunnel is scheduled to open early summer at Memorial City Mall.

Where in H-town is that? And please don't say "ahh, about 30 minutes from the Galleria" I mean, what resonably major road is it near?:P

My brother was passing by Belway 8 and Cullen on the south side of Houston today. He said there was a tunnel set up on the side of the road going east on Beltway 8. I am guessing it was the mobile unit from Conroe. Anyone have info on this?

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.

Those are the same people that are opening the new L1 in a few months. If you've been thinking about trying the portable and the location is convenient you should when you get the chance. Never know, it could be gone tomorrow or next week. They have to change locations alot due to noise pollution.

www.adrenln.com

I have been to the Fly away tunnel in Vegas two years ago and was not impressed. The operator kept speeding up the air speed to get me off the mesh. Then once flying he would slow it down and I would fall right back down. It was very inconsistent air speed. I might just go by and check them out for grins. Its on the way to the DZ anyways.....

I checked out the web site and it said 135 mph air speed. It looks like some of the guys are freeflying. Did you bring your own suit? I consider myself a decent flyer. I am sure in the tunnel its a whole different ball game. Can you get on your head in there?

max airspeed in the portable tunnel is about 135mph. You can use your own suit. Both times I've been in it they were almost out of gas. They don't run the tunnel at full power when they're low on fuel. Neither time I was able to fly headdown. I was able both times to keep a balanced headdown position but with my head on the floor. They said they could have given me about 10mph more if they hadn't been low on fuel. I think I could have gotten myself off the floor with less than an additional 10mph. They had the portable up at the WFFC last year. A few freeflyers there were able to fly headdown in it.