unkulunkulu

Hook knife training

3mpire

It was also recommended you have good gloves in case you may need to 'short-line' a student.

Sorry for the quick interjection/thread drift, but what is short lining? Is that like an instructor PCA...?

And our IAD instructor training standard was no gloves for IADs.
Remster

Remster

It was also recommended you have good gloves in case you may need to 'short-line' a student.

Sorry for the quick interjection/thread drift, but what is short lining? Is that like an instructor PCA...?

And our IAD instructor training standard was no gloves for IADs.

Makes sense...no dope rope.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

3mpire

Does the sheath on that benchmade work well or do you need to find a more suitable sheath? I was thinking chest strap placement?

The 'sheath' is kind of a hard scabbard, it's for military belts and is more than you need for 'our' application...any rigger can make you up something for a few bucks that will work fine.

FWIW ~ I don't recommend a chest strap placement for much of anything. A lotta folks grab there during smash-exits and sometimes in formation freefall.

I've seen people lose things attached to a chest strap.

FWIW ~ I don't recommend a chest strap placement for much of anything. A lotta folks grab there during smash-exits and sometimes in formation freefall.

Fair point -- I'll talk to my rigger and see what kind of solution would work well for my rig (mirage).

My initial thinking on chest strap was it is centrally located so either a left or right hand would be equidistant. I can see how it could get in the way there, however (especially the benchmade you linked up thread--it is longer).

Where do you generally mount you knife(s)?

3mpire

Fair point -- I'll talk to my rigger and see what kind of solution would work well for my rig (mirage).

My initial thinking on chest strap was it is centrally located so either a left or right hand would be equidistant. I can see how it could get in the way there, however (especially the benchmade you linked up thread--it is longer).

Where do you generally mount you knife(s)?

I have the smallest benchmade in the right mudflap, held in place with a small snap on a piece of trim-tape.
http://www.superiorcleaningsolutions.com/catalog/5%20BLKW.jpg

One of these on a pouch sewn to the front of the left leg on my RW jumpsuit ~
http://wpecdn.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/400x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_72595.jpg

And one of these, same place on my demo jumpsuit~
http://images1.opticsplanet.com/365-240-ffffff/opplanet-benchmade-bone-collector-gut-hook-knife-15040.jpg

~don't know if they make those anymore though...

Also by holding the staticline in both hands you can very quickly pull in the line after the sudent has jumped and make room for the next student.

And because there is a incident where the line was not attached, holding the line makes sure I pull the students chute.

The only downside is if the rig is packed incorrect, depending on where you hold the line, either get pulled out of the airplane or jam your hands between the line and airplane if it's packed for a static line hangup.

But in that case you as a JM have not done your job on the ground in the first place

I have one threaded onto each legstrap on the topside of my thigh pretty close to where my pockets would be if I was wearing pants. I keep a third in the inner I pocket of my jumpsuit. Drop the first one, break the second one, third times a charm!

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Hellis

Also by holding the staticline in both hands you can very quickly pull in the line after the sudent has jumped and make room for the next student.

And because there is a incident where the line was not attached, holding the line makes sure I pull the students chute.

The only downside is if the rig is packed incorrect, depending on where you hold the line, either get pulled out of the airplane or jam your hands between the line and airplane if it's packed for a static line hangup.

But in that case you as a JM have not done your job on the ground in the first place

I always held it with one hand & simply stepped on it along the floor...;)