Lee03

Possible Marine Corps Birthday Boogie

Are that any members presently in the Marine Corps (either Active Duty or Reserves) or anyone that has ever served in the Marines. If, at anytime you have earned the title, United States Marine, this message is for you. Several of us, at our dropzone are trying to organize a Marine Corps Birthday Boogie. Any Marine who has ever made a jump, be it a military jump or a jump at a dropzone (you must be jump qulaified) is invited to attend, we are going to try to have at least one All-Marine jump each day of the Boogie, to honor our Beloved Corps, and we will try to do a cake cutting ceremony as well. The jump will be open to members of any other branch of service as well, if you are jump qualified, and have served with the Marines in the past, example, Navy Hospital Corpsmen, Officer or Enlisted personel attached to a Marine unit, exchange program, liaison officer etc. All Marines, jump qualified or not are of course welcome to attend, as well as members of the other services too, but all that hope to jump must be jump qualified, and to jump on the All-Marine jump, must either be a Marine, or a member of another branch of the service that has been attached to/served with the Marines. We are trying to gauge how much interest that is for an event like this, our DZO said it will be fine with him, if we can get enough interested to attend. If you are interested, please send me a Private Message stating your interest to attend. I will post this same message on the Bonfire Forum as well. Thanks.

Semper Fi,

Richard L. Wood
MSGT (Ret) USMC
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

For anyone interested in knowing, the Marine Corps birthday is November 10th. I know this because my dad (a Marine Corps Captain who served in Viet Nam) let it slip once that he remembers my mother's birthday every year because it is the day before the Marine Corps birthday. She's never let him forget that he has that a little backwards! :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Lee... I would be happy to attend, GREAT IDEA! Where would this be taking place, and any other details you have?

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Lee wrote the following message to me. Better to confirm with him though...

The Birthday Boogie will be at Atlanta Skydiving Center, in Cedertown GA, which is Northwest of Atlanta. We were sitting around on a slow day talking, and decided to try to do this. We've had some interest, so if a few more commmit, we will do it. ASC has full facilities, bunkhouse, showers, heated/air conditioned and carpeted packing area. Cafa on site, camp, and if needed hotels within a short distance. We fly a Twin Otter 7 days a week. There are two Reserve Units in Atlanta, MAG-42 and FSSG. They will have their respective balls on the first weekend of the month, The 10th is in the middle of the week, so in order to get some of the Marines from the two units to come up and jump with us, we will hold the Boogie the weekend after the 10th, dates will be 13 - 14 Nov. Our DZO is all for it, will try to get some venders out for demos, etc. We are going to try to do a cake cutting ceromony if possibel. I'll keep you informed as this progresses. Hope you will be able to come out, celebrate the Birthday of our Corps with us. We're going to have a All-Marine jump that should be great!

Lee... has there been any further info on the birthday bash? Planning on coming, but there hasn't been much activity lately.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Okay everybody,

Sorry I've been out for awhile. The Birthday Celebration is definately on. We have shirts that are really sharp looking. Red, with gold Eagle Globe and Anchor on them, and in large black with gold trimmed letters, Ist Annual Marine Corps Birthday Boogie, ASC, 13-14 November 2004.

We will meet at ASC and skydive all day. I'm going to try to get a local radio personality, Kim Peterson, who has done a tandem at ASC in the past to come out and maybe do another jump with us. He is a Vietnam era Marine. On Saturday evening, we are going to try to do the cake cutting ceromony. This will be for all Marines, and to show those who have not ever been Marines a little history and tradition of our Corps. We'll explain what we're doing during trhe cake cutting. I will wear my Blues, anybody else that can still get into them feel free to bring them and wear them. After the cake cutting, there will be plenty of beer to drink...gotta show the civilians how beer is really supposed to be drank! ;) On both Saturday and Sunday, we are going to try to do an all Marine jump. Jim Ware, one of our Marines, who is on the staff at ASC, has suggested that we take along some cake on each jump (maybe a cupcake) and release them at a certain altitude. I'm going to see if Chutingstar (Mike to the G) or one of our other videographers will film the jump for us. Think I'll do the jump in utilities, anybody else bring em if ya got em. It should be a great weekend, and a prety unique way to celebrate the birthday of our Corps. Hope you'll all join us at ASC for the MC Birthday Celebration! :)
Semper Fidelis
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

Okay, is anybody in on this? Here is a link to ASC's website forum (hope it works, go to ASC's webpage an dclick Forums if it doesn't wiork) Full details there.

http://www.ascskydiving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=85

Hope you all can come out.

Semper Fi
Lee
--------