bendywendy

Keys Boogie Approval

Ok, I've got a whole bunch more information on the Keys for everyone...

Hello! I just got back from a trip down to Marathon to check on our Keys Boogie arrangements.

I found some other great accommodations and fun tiki bars to hang out after a hard day of jumping. (It’s a tough job but somebody’s got to do it)!

As you probably already know we have rooms held at both the Coconut Cay (www.coconutcay.com 1-877-354-7356 or 305-289-7672 at mm 50.5 prices started at $69) and the Holiday Inn (305-743-5376 at mm 54.0 prices started at $75). They have discounted rates for us however, while scoping out the area I found that there were other very nice are resorts and hotels that had similar pricing, if not lower and some even accepted pets – so if you were worried about what to do with fido – worry no more!

The Coconut Cay had clean rooms that varied a great deal, some seemed quite roomy and some were pretty tight but cute in that island way. They have two pools and nice grounds. Yes, they use those strange Florida colors on the outside of the hotel – kind of garish – but when in Rome....

Our party Saturday night will be at the Coconut Cay. They have a beautiful spot near the back of the property. There is a small point jutting out into the gulf side with picnic tables and a covered area. We will have dinner catered there and a local musician to play for us. The Coconut Cay is within walking distance to the airport – it is directly across the street.

One resort that we found was very nice and had comparable prices even without our discount was The Sombrero Resort & Lighthouse Marina. Their standard motel rooms ranged from 65 – 70 a room and they had 1 & 2 Bdrm efficiencies ranging from $85 – 150 a night. They also accepted pets with a one time $25.00 fee. They also had condos available (no pets) for $125 per night. They had a very nice pool area with tiki bar, tennis courts, kayak rentals, game room, and rooms overlooking the Marina. You could take a walk from this resort down the dock along the marina to the Sombrero Marina Dockside Lounge which was an island type of indoor/outdoor bar & grill. They have entertainment nightly there. I’m trying to work out a skydiver discount with them right now.

I know several people are flying their own airplanes down – wish I was! You can also look into flying in on Florida Coastal Airlines. They have a website www.flyfca.com and fly from Ft. Lauderdale to Marathon – one flight a day and no Tuesdays or Wednesdays. I have no idea what their rates are. There are rental cars available at the airport. There is also a place called Wheels 2 Go that rents scooters. I rented one back in July and drove around the island – since the speed limit is higher than the scooter can go, it can be a bit scary but you’re in the keys! It was fun for zipping back and forth from the airport to the beach & hotels.

Don’t forget to send your registration to us or at least call soon to let us know you are coming!

Can i jump at this boogie even thou i only have my A license. also if i was to attend what do i need to register. I am new to Florida and live in the Ft lauderdale area.
Live it, Love it, Just go for it before it slipps away. Dont wait another day.

If you are a USPA member you really need a C license to jump with us at Marathon. If you are one of dem dare foreign types... you need the equivilent from your country.

If you don't have the jumps though you are more than welcome to still come down and hang out with us. It's a great vacation and there is plenty of other things to do - fishing, beaches, snorkeling, diving. We've had newly licensed jumpers come down and they want to jump so bad they've resorted to doing tandems just to see the island from the air. (We give licensed skydivers who chose this angle the barebones discount because we feel just as bad as you do that you can't jump there).

I have a couple of questions.

1) If I come down just to mingle and am not staying for dinner or jumping, is a registration required?

2) If the answer to #1 is yes, is there a limit to the registrations or a time limit to get registered?

My primary reason to come down would be to meet a few people from the forum and to hook up with Scotty Carbone who I haven't seen in about 25 years...

Thanks!

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

The registration form is on line - if you send me all the info that is requested on that form in an email - that's good enough for me.

[email protected]

I have a very limited quantity of flotation devices for rent for the weekend. Other than that people need to find their own.

I've loaned out my personal ones every year and hey guess what two of them are still with the last people they were loaned to. If anyone sees Christopher Irwin - hit him up for my aquabouy. I can't remember who has the other one.

We will rent the few we have for $20.00. $40.00 down - 20.00 to be returned when the flotation is returned.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm getting excited. The registrations are rolling in.

Roger Ponce will be there for big ways. I haven't gotten the final word on whether Derek Thomas is coming or not yet. Cisco says that he will be there for freefly organizing.

There is a possibility that Drew from Z-hills will be doing some 4 way organizing. Harry Parker might be doing MelonHead jumps if we can get him pinned down to whether he is coming or not.

Of course, Norman Kent will be there taking video along with Tony Hathaway and Dano. Dano is going to be putting together the boogie video. If you haven't seen his work go find one from the Puerto Rico boogie.

I'm forgetting people and things - I'm sure of it but I've got to rush off - physical therapy time for the elbow so that I can jump while we are there.

Just handed in the Keys boogie registration today, getting the reserve repacked, informed my Prof. that I am need to be on leave to sort out some "Urgent Family Business" that week. :)
Super..I am all set now. So who else is going? Anyone want to share a hotel room?

man this is going to be fun...
:)

I seem to recall a few people doing a jump with those on last year. It was, of course, just as a joke I'm not sure if the wings survived the jump.

New updates...
Derek Thomas will be organizing as will Drew and we already knew that Roger Ponce was on his way.

Cisco will be freefly organizing.

Newest update on the Sombrero Hotel - I believe I've already put the phone numbers on an earlier post - if I weren't so incredibly lazy today, I'd double check that - is they are giving us a kick ass rate on their condos which are all water view. Water view as in the marina & canals - it is not oceanfront. They will give us 1 bedroom condos with either a king size bed or two doubles in the bedroom and then a queen size sleeper sofa in the living room and the rooms have a kitchen as well. I believe it is $75.00 a night. Now they assume that you aren't stuffing 10 people to a room and I wouldn't tell them if you plan on doing that. Make sure you tell them you are with Skydive Sebastian - the condos are regularly 125 a night. They also have discounted rates on their regular rooms but the price is so close it's crazy not to get the condo!

I already know a lot of people have booked their rooms at the Coconut Cay so if you've already booked there don't feel left out. Everyone will be there with you on Saturday night!

There may be one other bonus treat... it isn't definate yet, but we may be using the DAV building while we are there which means...........
Air conditioned packing!!! I'm checking that out the end of this week.

Poor me, I have to make another trip to the keys.[:/];)

God, my life is so incredibly tough.

Do you know if there is a shuttle from the Key West Airport to these hotels?

It's something like 50 miles. You'd probably be better flying into Miami and begging for a ride from someone heading south

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

bendywendy
bubbles ( it think she has a number after it)_
cynci
freefalle
jib
skydivenflorida
bigG
the111
Carbonezone (tami)